Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 01-06-2010, 12:11 PM
Daycare Member

Default Newly Divorced Parents - Separate Contracts?

So I've got a family that has just split up. Everything is amicable with joint custody, and both parents seem much happier now I don't anticipate problems, but I'd like to have a procedure in place, just in case.

The original contract just has the mom's signature on it, but the dad is the one who brings the payment each week. Should I redo it with separate contracts for each parent to sign? Or should I leave it as it is?
Old 01-06-2010, 12:33 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I would at least make sure that both have a copy and understand their obligations.
Old 01-06-2010, 12:48 PM
Daycare.com Member

If at all possible I'd have a conference with both parents present. Have them each sign a separate contract with specific notation as to which parent will be responsible for how much of the daycare costs.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:45 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default Both are good suggestions

I would either have him sign the original contract or make up a new one for him to sign.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:54 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

At my former center, the parent that was responsible for payment signed the payment form. The parent that had custody signed all the other papers.

What you could do is what Mac said. Just make sure they know each of their responsibilities.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:49 AM
Daycare Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends View Post
If at all possible I'd have a conference with both parents present. Have them each sign a separate contract with specific notation as to which parent will be responsible for how much of the daycare costs.
That's what I do. Its the same contract, but both sign and it is made clear both must adhere to the policies . I learned the hard way when I had one parent not paying their share, not picking up on time etc.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:26 AM

I would make one parent responsible. If it is a shared cost that parent can be responsible for hounding the other parent for payment. If one parent doesn't pay you and you make them leave care you will run into the problem of possibly needing to take them both to court to recover your losses. I refuse to be the middle man. Only one is responsible and if they can't get the money from the other parent then it doesn't affect me. They have to take the other parent to court not me.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:31 AM
Daycare.com Member

I have a family that separates then gets back together & separates again. They have been in care for less then a yr & they have done this 3 times already. When they separate the mother has custody so she is the one that becomes liable for anything daycare related. The father does pickup & if he is late I let her know & then she makes sure that he has the late fee in hand when he arrives the next day. This way it is much easier everyone involved.

Tags
contract, divorce, split up