Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

View Poll Results: Sick Policy Vomit
After ONE episode no other symptoms 29 87.88%
After ONE episode WITH other symptoms 4 12.12%
After TWO or more episodes 0 0%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-17-2012, 08:40 AM
wahmof3's Avatar
wahmof3 wahmof3 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 803
Default Vomit :(

I absolutely hate sending kids home sick. Today DCB2 was slowly eating breakfast. No way shape or form his normal. Very slow, in fact I said to dh I bet he is getting sick. A few minutes later vomit all over!! My policy is vomit=go home and 24 hour exclusion. DCB acts fine, looks flushed, but no fever.

How many of you send kids home after ONE episode of vomit??
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-17-2012, 08:42 AM
Willow Willow is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,607
Default

I have a fairly lenient sick policy in many regards but that is one thing that'll send a kiddo home every single time.

Zero exception.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-17-2012, 08:47 AM
KDC's Avatar
KDC KDC is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 555
Default Send home...

I don't well with vomit... I would send him home, and ask them to be vomit free for a day before coming back. I would separate DCK from the rest of the dc. I usually use the bathroom for quick cleanup - I can bleach the whole bathroom I had a DCB vomit all over my carpet and it was so ridden with bile, I had to replace all my LR carpet. They sent him back the very next day (I didn't have the 24 hour rule in my contract... it's there now =) It left a stain that we could just not get out, it ended up costing us $850 to replace the carpet.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-17-2012, 08:47 AM
youretooloud's Avatar
youretooloud youretooloud is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: The desert.
Posts: 1,956
Default

The fact that he was eating slowly is a symptom.

I heard last night that there is a stomach virus that is in ever area of the US and it's spreading like wildfire. (some 24 hr bug)
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-17-2012, 09:05 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,760
Default

vomit=go home

I do NOT do vomit for ANY reason. Ewwww!
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-17-2012, 09:38 AM
Breezy's Avatar
Breezy Breezy is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Arizona
Posts: 1,271
Default

I have a huge fear/phobia of vomit so one time go home!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-17-2012, 09:56 AM
wahmof3's Avatar
wahmof3 wahmof3 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 803
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDC View Post
I don't well with vomit... I would send him home, and ask them to be vomit free for a day before coming back. I would separate DCK from the rest of the dc. I usually use the bathroom for quick cleanup - I can bleach the whole bathroom I had a DCB vomit all over my carpet and it was so ridden with bile, I had to replace all my LR carpet. They sent him back the very next day (I didn't have the 24 hour rule in my contract... it's there now =) It left a stain that we could just not get out, it ended up costing us $850 to replace the carpet.
Oh my gosh that's AWFUL!!! I would be PI$$ED (sorry) if I had to replace my carpet because of vomit!!! He DID in fact vomit all over my breakfast table AND carpet. I had to shampoo it and it was nasty. DH said I'll bring the carpet cleaner up, but I am NOT cleaning it bc it WAS NASTY!!!!! Bathroom is an EXCELLENT idea to use when trying to keep them away from the other kids.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-17-2012, 09:58 AM
wahmof3's Avatar
wahmof3 wahmof3 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 803
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by youretooloud View Post
The fact that he was eating slowly is a symptom.

Oh my gosh- LOVE THIS

I heard last night that there is a stomach virus that is in ever area of the US and it's spreading like wildfire. (some 24 hr bug)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-17-2012, 10:02 AM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

I voted once, however, I do take into consideration if we just ate and the kid is jumping up and down or took off running to fast shortly after eating.

I used to have a kid here that had gag refulx and would vomit at least once a day.... I had to enforce the rule after sometime that if it happened more than once in a day I had to send the kid home. I just couldn't spend all day cleaning up vomit....
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-17-2012, 10:06 AM
wahmof3's Avatar
wahmof3 wahmof3 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 803
Default

SO here is my issue:

DCM picks up & says she had given him a slice of bread before coming to my house. (I always feed them breakfast and she usually tells me if he has had something to eat before coming in). Maybe I am making too much out of this but since I always feed breakfast & bread is usually the 1st thing you try after a child has been vomiting & she made a big production out of it, what are the odds that child was ill last night and she was just trying to pull a fast one?? I hate to think that way but hmmmm?????

So she asks if he can come tomorrow if he is ok the rest of the day. Seeing how DCB vomited around 9am and they usually come in around 8:15am. I told her I wouldn't have a problem with it, but to keep me updated on how he is. Would you have done the same?

I have also had an upset belly since last night. I thought for sure last night I was going to get sick & now feel even worse (I seriously hope its all in my head )
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-17-2012, 10:14 AM
wahmof3's Avatar
wahmof3 wahmof3 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 803
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
I voted once, however, I do take into consideration if we just ate and the kid is jumping up and down or took off running to fast shortly after eating.

I used to have a kid here that had gag refulx and would vomit at least once a day.... I had to enforce the rule after sometime that if it happened more than once in a day I had to send the kid home. I just couldn't spend all day cleaning up vomit....
He is a jumper, however, he was eating/settled down when he vomited. He had been jumping prior but not right after. Knowing now he had ate a slice of bread prior??? I just don't know. He ALWAYS jumps around and never gets sick. Its such a fine line. I know what you mean regarding gag reflux, I have another child here with that. She has gagged and gotten sick here during a meal time, but not even close to the amount that this DCB did today. I just really really hate sending kids home.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-17-2012, 10:20 AM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahmof3 View Post
He is a jumper, however, he was eating/settled down when he vomited. He had been jumping prior but not right after. Knowing now he had ate a slice of bread prior??? I just don't know. He ALWAYS jumps around and never gets sick. Its such a fine line. I know what you mean regarding gag reflux, I have another child here with that. She has gagged and gotten sick here during a meal time, but not even close to the amount that this DCB did today. I just really really hate sending kids home.
does the vomit smell really bad? If so, then this means that it was not what DCK just ate....It means that it was food that has been digested. If this is not typical of the boy, then i would be sending him home....

If it were a thing that happened from time to time with the kid, then I would let them stay. It's up to you really..

You also have to think about the other kids in your care. YOu don't want to put them at risk of getting sick too.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-17-2012, 10:27 AM
wahmof3's Avatar
wahmof3 wahmof3 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 803
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
does the vomit smell really bad? If so, then this means that it was not what DCK just ate....It means that it was food that has been digested. If this is not typical of the boy, then i would be sending him home....

If it were a thing that happened from time to time with the kid, then I would let them stay. It's up to you really..

You also have to think about the other kids in your care. YOu don't want to put them at risk of getting sick too.
It smelled bad and it was so much more than what he had ate even including a slice a of bread. The smell is what made my stomach start turning again

I really wonder if we are getting a bug. My daughter has been complaining for 2 days of her throat hurting and my throat started feeling really scratchy and a little sore yesterday and last night I felt nauseated. I still a few hours later feel sick to my stomach.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-17-2012, 10:28 AM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahmof3 View Post
It smelled bad and it was so much more than what he had ate even including a slice a of bread. The smell is what made my stomach start turning again

I really wonder if we are getting a bug. My daughter has been complaining for 2 days of her throat hurting and my throat started feeling really scratchy and a little sore yesterday and last night I felt nauseated. I still a few hours later feel sick to my stomach.
sounds like this dude needs to go home. Have you called the mom ?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-17-2012, 10:30 AM
wahmof3's Avatar
wahmof3 wahmof3 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 803
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
sounds like this dude needs to go home. Have you called the mom ?
Yes, I called her right away & he has been picked up
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
sick policy, vomit

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice needed quickly - vomit KDC Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 7 08-22-2012 09:59 AM
Made To Clean Own Vomit (4yr. Old) Unregistered Parents and Guardians Forum 27 03-16-2011 09:03 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:36 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming