Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 10-27-2013, 01:27 PM
Day Care Owner

Default Tring To Figure Out Rates

I am opening a day care and I was approached by a mom that has 3 school aged kids. She would like to know what I would charge for her for before and after school. It would be 2.5-3.5 hours daily. She would supply breakfast and after school snacks. I want to do a flat rate vs hourly.
If I am charging $40 for all day (up to 10 hours) for a preschooler.
What should I charge for school aged kid?
Should there be a discount for 3?

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 10-27-2013, 01:48 PM
Daycare.com member

A BIG thing to consider is whether the child/children will take up a full-time spot for you. Some states allow a provider X number of school age children in addition to their regular full-time licensed capacity. In my state you are allowed 7 children no matter what, even if they are just there before and after school. So for me, (if I did take school age) they would take up a full-time opening and stop me from taking on a full-time child. So therefore my rate would be higher to make up for the fact that I am keeping those spots open for them, and not making $40.00/day. Does that make sense ?

If you are allowed to have school age kids in addition to your licensed capacity, I would charge maybe 10-15.00 / day.

If the school age kids count the same as your other full-day kids, I would charge more like 20.00/day/
Old 10-27-2013, 02:28 PM
Family Childcare Provider

I charge $7/hr for before/after school care which includes meals and transportation to/from school.
That's not what I would charge for a FT spot for an infant/toddler but if a SA child was here and accrued more hours than my daily rate (which would be difficult with my business hours) than I would probably stop charging at my daily rate. If it takes up a spot in your care that another child can't take than you should charge accordingly. I would discount for the 3 siblings but not by much. Maybe 2/$75 and $5/hr for the SA?
Old 10-28-2013, 12:43 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blandino View Post
A BIG thing to consider is whether the child/children will take up a full-time spot for you. Some states allow a provider X number of school age children in addition to their regular full-time licensed capacity. In my state you are allowed 7 children no matter what, even if they are just there before and after school. So for me, (if I did take school age) they would take up a full-time opening and stop me from taking on a full-time child. So therefore my rate would be higher to make up for the fact that I am keeping those spots open for them, and not making $40.00/day. Does that make sense ?

If you are allowed to have school age kids in addition to your licensed capacity, I would charge maybe 10-15.00 / day.

If the school age kids count the same as your other full-day kids, I would charge more like 20.00/day/
I was going to say the same! I don't take before and after.

Tags
after school care, rates, school age care