Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Where Do You Go To Get Your Cpr & First Aid Training?
sahm1225 05:09 PM 10-04-2012
My CPR and first aid certificates are about to expire. When I originally did them, I went through the american red cross. It was an online course and then a 3 hour class to finish the certification. They no longer offer the online course and it's so hard to find 7 hours on the weekend to go do the training!

So I was wondering where other providers got their certification from to see if I can find something similar here.

Thanks!
Meeko 05:39 PM 10-04-2012
I travel about 30 miles north to the fire department in Sandy Utah. They offer a 4 hour evening course that is designed especially for regular folks (ie not nurses), is easy to follow, reasonably priced and very laid back and yet covers all that's necessary to be OK with licensing. It's American Heart Assoc. certified.

The Red Cross does one in my own town, but it's an 8 hour intense course. The teachers are waaaay lacking in any kind of humor and the class is as dry as can be. The subject matter is serious, but there are no rules that say you can't make it interesting!! The fire department one is awesome.

Maybe you could see if a local fire dept. near you does one?
Crazy8 05:47 PM 10-04-2012
our resource and referral agency does them sometimes, other times I go thru our local hospital. They always send me books with tons of classes - cpr & first aid are always in there. ETA: They were never 8 hour classes - I think the hospital one is 2 nights though. Mine is expired, I wish they'd offer short refresher classes for people who have been thru the full program a half dozen times already!
6colleen 07:34 PM 10-04-2012
Call your local fire department. Many firefighters do this on the side.
Lucy 07:43 PM 10-04-2012
If you are licensed, call your Resource & Referral. In my state, there was a new online/in-person combo class offered for the first time this past Spring. It was a new test program.

You do all the reading online at home. As it goes along, there are test questions every so often. After answering each section of questions, it tells you if you got enough of them correct. If you didn't, you simply read that portion over and re-answer them. Easy Peasy. It takes about 3 hours, so you end up doing it in spurts over about a week's time. At least that's what the women in my class said they did, as well as I.

They give you the website a week before the class, and they have access to how far along you are on it, and how you did on the questions. The night before the class, they'll call you if you haven't finished the online portion. The class itself is about 2 hours and covers the hands-on portion.

It was awesome. I HATE sitting through long classes! This way I could do the online portion at MY OWN pace, and only sat for a 2 hr class, which was actually kind of fun and went fast.

It was through the Red Cross, but I'm not sure if they're doing it everywhere. Mine was the test class for our county. They asked for feedback, and everyone there LOVED it. I hope it continues and goes nationwide.
MyAngels 08:06 PM 10-04-2012
I did the American Heart Association class online and then set up a challenge session at the local hospital to do the hands on demonstration of skill. I loved doing it that way and will do it again this year.
mom2many 08:41 PM 10-04-2012
I always go through the Red Cross. They offer many different classes and I am always able to get one on a Saturday.
mema 10:35 AM 10-05-2012
I originally went thru Red Cross and then I found this lady that does it out of her home or yours. She is AWESOME! I will never go anywhere else. She is very reasonable and makes the class fun!
sharlan 12:36 PM 10-05-2012
In CA, they won't accept the online courses.

Our local R&R office offers the classes for $5, but they're all day SAT.
maryjoe 01:51 AM 10-31-2013
I got CPR & First aid training from Redding. It required only 4 hours for a reasonable amount.The certification was also valued.
Laurel 04:27 AM 10-31-2013
My neighbor the firefighter/paramedic does it as a side business as someone else said. He uses the American Heart Association one. He comes to my house.

I used to do it with a nurse who did it on the side and came to my house. Guess I've been spoiled.

Laurel
MrsSteinel'sHouse 04:32 AM 10-31-2013
You can also call your local health department (one of the nurses here does it for us) or your hospital.
Shell 04:55 AM 10-31-2013
I just called the name of the guy on the back of my card (American Heart Association )from the last time I did CPR. I asked him if he had any sessions that are open to the public. Around here, you can usually jump in on a session they are already doing for a local preschool or daycare. I never know anyone there, but it's easier to just go when there's one already set up.

In the past, I have also called him to have a session at my house, with the parents of my dc kids, neighbors and anyone I can get to sign up. I think as long as you can get 6 or more people, they will come to your house.
coolconfidentme 04:58 AM 10-31-2013
Originally Posted by sahm1225:
My CPR and first aid certificates are about to expire. When I originally did them, I went through the american red cross. It was an online course and then a 3 hour class to finish the certification. They no longer offer the online course and it's so hard to find 7 hours on the weekend to go do the training!

So I was wondering where other providers got their certification from to see if I can find something similar here.

Thanks!
I know my instructor, but she works out of the local hospital. Call your local hospital & see if they can refer someone.
LK5kids 05:50 AM 10-31-2013
Local hospital or vocational tech school.
Leigh 05:55 AM 10-31-2013
It's impossible to find an open class where I live-the high school does them for employees only. The hospital does them for employees only. Several local businesses do them for employees only. My licensing agency recommends the American Heart Association online classes, and then there is a local person who will do the testing in-person. It's my only option.
Tdhmom 06:47 AM 10-31-2013
I paid $30 for it at a vo-tech school. It was from 6-8 but I was out of there by 7:15.
Maria2013 07:55 AM 10-31-2013
Originally Posted by mema:
I originally went thru Red Cross and then I found this lady that does it out of her home or yours. She is AWESOME! I will never go anywhere else. She is very reasonable and makes the class fun!
that^
KDC 08:07 AM 10-31-2013
I do the Red cross blended course. I do all the course work online, and sign up for a Saturday class to go in for a couple of hours to complete the hands on training and first aid, if I need it. It's the best way I've found unless I'm lucky enough to find the local fire department's course to coordinate with my schedule, which I never am =(
Tags:cpr, cpr certified, first aid, training
Reply Up