Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 09-25-2019, 01:14 PM
Daycare.com Member

Default New In-home Daycare - Advice Pls!

Hello all,
Iím new in the business, opened about 6 months and itís been a bit hard to get clients, finally it looks they are coming! At the moment I have 3 plus my daughter, in WA you can have first year up to 6 kids.
I already have learned some things (hard moms, baby who cries a LOT, etc) but I would really appreciate any advice, red flags, experiences, how to bring more clients, etc.
Hope you are having a good Wednesday!!!!
Old 09-25-2019, 02:14 PM
Daycare.com Member

I learned this from the group:

When a parent asks for something, say "I'll get back to you on that". That way you have time to think about it and you aren't put on the spot.
Old 09-25-2019, 03:15 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

There's so much it would be impossible to put it all here. Just read through the posts as you have time.

Most important: protecting your time and money! Make it clear at interviews what your policies / expectations are in regards to schedule and their respect for your time and have a payment policy that ensures you are paid before services are offered. I do electronic payment or cash only (everyone now is electronic payment). It's due Sunday night by 9 PM. I only keep up to 4, so I will send a reminder text if I'm not paid by then but they know from the interview that if they show up Monday morning and payment hasn't been received, their child can't stay until I'm paid. No exceptions. I've never had to do that since I started doing things this way.

Good luck to you!
Old 09-25-2019, 03:32 PM

Read threads, follow tags. You will notice the patterns on the most common issues and pitfalls.

Welcome!
Old 09-26-2019, 07:13 AM
Daycare.com Member

I wish there was a place like this when I started!!! Great advice....a load if info....and a safe place to vent!!!😜 welcome!!
Old 09-26-2019, 04:15 PM
New Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Kay View Post
I wish there was a place like this when I started!!! Great advice....a load if info....and a safe place to vent!!!😜 welcome!!
This!
Read everything you can on here; itís super helpful!
Old 09-26-2019, 09:12 PM
Daycare.com Member

Never be afraid to stand up for yourself.

When I came to this site I was new to daycare as well. I read all (including the old old ones) of Blackcat and Nannyde's posts. They gave me confidence and were amazing online mentors without even realizing it.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:17 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorTots View Post
Never be afraid to stand up for yourself.

When I came to this site I was new to daycare as well. I read all (including the old old ones) of Blackcat and Nannyde's posts. They gave me confidence and were amazing online mentors without even realizing it.
Old 09-27-2019, 08:12 AM

First and foremost...you are NOT their employee.

I spent waaay too much time as a "newbie", trying to change and bend and please my clients.

Life got so much better when I learned that the only person in charge of my business...is me.

Interviews used to be the parent telling me what they wanted and telling me they would start Monday.

Now, interviews are me telling them I will be interviewing many and I will let them know if I decide to take their child.

Tags
classroom management, contract - clear, enforcing policies - consistency, illness policy - samples, new member, parent- it's a verb, rates, training courses, working with family