Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>S/O Time driving deductable?
legomom922 07:58 PM 02-24-2011
So I got thi sidea from another thread whe someone said you can write off time unloading your groceries....so if thats the case, can we write off time driving to get to the store too? And also, can we write off the time it takes us to make out our list, and the actual time we are shopping?
Jewels 04:57 AM 02-25-2011
Driving to the store would be mileage not time, as long as the drive was for the main purpose of daycare, you couldn't count anything outside the home as T/S%, you unload the groceries for daycare inside your house.....same as you can't count a training seminar in you T/S% if its outside your house, but you can count online training in your T/S%, because you took that class in your home(being that its strictly for daycare training)......at least this is how I take it.
TomCopeland 06:21 AM 02-25-2011
Jewels is correct.
legomom922 07:00 AM 02-25-2011
So you are saying I can write off time unloading groceries because its taking place in my house, but anything that I do that is OUTSIDE the house I cant? So if I took a training seminar outside the house, I cannot count that as time worked even if its for DC?

So how do we credit for that time worked?
TomCopeland 12:54 PM 02-25-2011
Originally Posted by legomom922:
So you are saying I can write off time unloading groceries because its taking place in my house, but anything that I do that is OUTSIDE the house I cant? So if I took a training seminar outside the house, I cannot count that as time worked even if its for DC?

So how do we credit for that time worked?
Unloading groceries in your home - yes. Time spent shopping outside the home or at trainings - no. You don't get credit for time worked outside your home. Remember, the reason you are tracking these hours is to determine the business use percent of your home (t/s%). This is used to determine the portion of house expenses you can deduct. When you are away from your home you aren't wearing it out.
Reply Up