Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Discipline
greenhouse 08:58 AM 02-28-2011
I just interviewed a potential newbie. Mom does not want me to do timed "time-outs" for discipline. She says she does not like her son to be subjected to a power struggle.(he is 2) Timed "time-outs" are the official recommendation of discipline by my state's regulations. DCM wants me to instead ask him to go into another room to calm down and he will come back when he's ready. Should I hold my ground with my way or if this way works for him is it okay? I just think all the kids should have the same rules. I'm new, can you tell? Thanks!
Lilbutterflie 09:03 AM 02-28-2011
Stick with your own form of discipline. If your form of discipline is time-outs, and mom doesn't agree with it... she's not a good fit.
JenNJ 09:03 AM 02-28-2011
I would not be comfortable sending a child into another room where I could not keep an eye on him.

You aren't his mother and this is not one on one care. This is GROUP CARE. Same rules for everyone otherwise you will have 5 different parents telling you 5 different ways to discipline and NONE will fall within your states guidelines.

She can agree to the state's guidelines or hire a nanny.
jen 09:04 AM 02-28-2011
Before you do anything, you should check your guidelines. I couldn't send one of my kids to "another room." They must remain in sight of myself and the group.

Also, what will you say when another child say, "why doesn't Billy have to go to time-out?"

What other changes will she be wanting to make to your program
lil angels 09:07 AM 02-28-2011
Here I don't think we are even allowed to send a child into another room. I would stick with the same rules as everyone else.
Cat Herder 09:09 AM 02-28-2011
Buh-bye PITA Mom to be......

IMHO.....
daycare 09:15 AM 02-28-2011
I have a few kids that once they hear the words time out they scream and fall apart.

I use the words refelction time. Lukcy for me my hosue is designed so that I can see the next two rooms over and I am able to remove the child from the DC room, but still are in my view.

Just like adults, we need to remove ourself from the situaiton when we are haivng a hard time coping with our feelings..

I would tell the mom that your policy is this, state rules are this and you plan on sticking to them. If she does not sign with you, be happy because from how I see it if she thinks she can get you to change your rules for her child and you do.....................well then you are going to be having her wanting to change everything about how you run your business..
SandeeAR 10:20 AM 02-28-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I would tell the mom that your policy is this, state rules are this and you plan on sticking to them. If she does not sign with you, be happy because from how I see it if she thinks she can get you to change your rules for her child and you do.....................well then you are going to be having her wanting to change everything about how you run your business..
Totally agree.
Tags:discipline, time out
Reply Up