Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>For Those Of You Who Have Assistants....
gkids09 11:09 AM 03-03-2011
How do you find help when one quits? I have two assistants..One is 45, and the other will be 62 this month. The younger one is the one who gave me notice yesterday, but the 62 yr old mentioned Tuesday that she was thinking of retiring pretty soon (finally asked her today WHEN she was going to retire, and she said probably June..).

We have 12 kids a day, plus 3 school age. I HAVE to have help, or I'll get shut down. I HAVE to have help because I would never attempt to keep 12 kids by myself, legal or not!

I don't want a debate over age, so I'm just going to say that I am young. I know there are things that have to be done to keep kids safe, and I know how to handle them in large groups.

BUT I don't know what to do when my help is quitting/talking about retiring in just a few months. I am great with kids...adults, not so much. lol I have found a girl who lives nearby, has no kids that she'd need care for, and can work every day but Friday. She has lots of experience, and has even done child care in another country before.

My younger employee is great. She kept me when I was a baby, but she is having some health problems that she can't get over, and needs to quit. The 62 year old employee is great with the kids...but she has the most negative attitude with adults that I've ever seen. She's been here over 9 years (with my grandmother, and then with me).

I need to find more help, apparently, because the 62 yr old won't swap one of her days for Fridays so that I don't have to hire ANOTHER new helper til she retires.

I have been told to try Craigslist, but that has zero results in my town. The newspaper, MAYBE a few results. I have asked parents, and they are "asking around" but I don't know if I have that much time.

Please let me know anymore ideas on finding help. I know in this economy SURELY people are wanting/needing jobs...I have been in tears for two days over this. Thank you...
Blackcat31 11:12 AM 03-03-2011
Do you have a local college? Try posting on the bulletin boards for college age people who are maybe interested in the field and could gain some knowledge by working for you....

Try your local job/work force center.....
daycare 11:13 AM 03-03-2011
what about community college?
or even a universty near by?? how about a local church?
Crystal 11:14 AM 03-03-2011
Yep, what blackcat said. I would touch base with the ECE professors, let them know you are going to have employment opps and would like them to pass out a flier to their students.
Abigail 11:19 AM 03-03-2011
I'm so sorry you're in tears....I'm in tears over my dumb office job, lol. I would call you licensing and let them know you are looking for an assistant. They may pass on the information for those who are looking to start a daycare and they might want to try it out before deciding.

Call your highschool and ask to speak to the child care development teacher or ask if you can bring in a flyer for hiring a full time student. It may only get you through the summer if they're still in highschool, but you might find a high school senior or two who are interested.

Hmmm, I would go ahead and pay the $10+ to place an ad in the paper while I am at it. May as well cover all the bases at once and hope for the best! You should also watch the paper for those looking for a babysitting/nanny job because they might be ok with a daycare worker's job as well.

Lastly, I would tell your parents you are hiring an assistant and ask them to spread the word. Good luck and hope it gets better. I have to head into work now and hope I have a good night at work as well.
gkids09 11:19 AM 03-03-2011
Got one parent whose mother-in-law works at an unemployment office. She said she'd check there.

I've asked two of my former college teachers who teach early childhood classes...neither could think of anybody..

And I've got parents asking their church members. I've also sent an email to my own church secretary and asked her to think of someone, if possible.

I have posted it on Facebook too, and even asked another provider in my area how she gets help (She owns 2 centers..).

I guess I should've said what I HAVE done instead of what I haven't found.

I am thinking of calling the local community college and seeing if the dean of education knows of anyone. If not, I may put a sign up there.

It's so hard, because obviously I don't want just anybody working with the kids. I am almost wondering about doing the job interviews somewhere besides the daycare, just in case there are any crazies!
nannyde 11:27 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
I'm so sorry you're in tears....I'm in tears over my dumb office job, lol. I would call you licensing and let them know you are looking for an assistant. They may pass on the information for those who are looking to start a daycare and they might want to try it out before deciding.

They won't help you get an assistant but they will be happy to come in and inspect you as long as you let them know when your help is leaving.

BAD bad idea.

Licensing is there to make sure you comply with the minimum standards of your State. They shouldn't be called in on any employment issue.
nannyde 11:31 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
Lastly, I would tell your parents you are hiring an assistant and ask them to spread the word. Good luck and hope it gets better. I have to head into work now and hope I have a good night at work as well.
Another REALLY bad idea. Your clients should NOT be attached to your staff assistant in ANY way. Your staff assistants should be able to come and go without a bump in the road for the parents.

You don't want ANYONE working with you who is connected in ANY way to your clients.

Abigail have you ever done in home child care? I know you say you are a FCCP but have you done it already?
gkids09 11:32 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:

They won't help you get an assistant but they will be happy to come in and inspect you as long as you let them know when your help is leaving.

BAD bad idea.

Licensing is there to make sure you comply with the minimum standards of your State. They shouldn't be called in on any employment issue.
haha!! My licensor is REALLY nice...I did email her yesterday (forgot about that)..and she gave me several numbers. She is very good about letting me fix anything that needs to be fixed without writing it down, as long as I do it while she's here...

I asked my assistant just a few minutes ago (the one that is quitting) if it's at all possible for her to stay a little longer than 2 weeks, just until I find someone to take her place. And BELIEVE ME, I'm doing all I can think of until asking you guys!

I think she will, but only until I can find one person to take her place and get them interviewed, fingerprinted, etc. That's a good thing. I just don't want her to think I am forcing her to stay when she is wanting to quit, KWIM?

I love her to death, and we both cried when she told me yesterday she was going to have to leave. I am hoping this search won't be as stressful as it feels so far....

Thanks to EVERYONE who has commented. I love this place.
Unregistered 11:47 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Another REALLY bad idea. Your clients should NOT be attached to your staff assistant in ANY way. Your staff assistants should be able to come and go without a bump in the road for the parents.

You don't want ANYONE working with you who is connected in ANY way to your clients.

Abigail have you ever done child care? I know you say you are a FCCP but have you done it already?
I have to disagree. I also find it rude to ask in such a manner if she has ever done child care after critiqing 2 of her suggestions.

First, it depends on your relationship with your state rep. Some yes I would not trust. Others are very understanding and helpful.

Second, I think if you have a professional atmospere it wont matter who they know. My assistant was actually a daycare parent for 3 years before she lost her job. She lost her job as the need for an assistant rose and she is the best co-worker I could ever have.
nannyde 11:50 AM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by gkids09:
haha!! My licensor is REALLY nice...I did email her yesterday (forgot about that)..and she gave me several numbers. She is very good about letting me fix anything that needs to be fixed without writing it down, as long as I do it while she's here...

I asked my assistant just a few minutes ago (the one that is quitting) if it's at all possible for her to stay a little longer than 2 weeks, just until I find someone to take her place. And BELIEVE ME, I'm doing all I can think of until asking you guys!

I think she will, but only until I can find one person to take her place and get them interviewed, fingerprinted, etc. That's a good thing. I just don't want her to think I am forcing her to stay when she is wanting to quit, KWIM?

I love her to death, and we both cried when she told me yesterday she was going to have to leave. I am hoping this search won't be as stressful as it feels so far....

Thanks to EVERYONE who has commented. I love this place.
You are lucky.

Ours are not so nice. They would be saying "Ah what day did you say she was leaving Nan?"
gkids09 12:05 PM 03-03-2011
lol Yeah, and from what I've heard, I'm lucky to have HER and not some of the others that she works with!!

I did have an aunt of one of the dck's ask me if she could interview...HA! I told her I was very sorry, and I know she'd do a great job, but I will not hire anyone who is a family member or close friend of a daycare child...just for the sole purpose of no matter what, her niece will be the best, most wonderful, perfect child we have, and we can't have favorites. I didn't tell her that last part.

So far, the people the dc parents have suggested haven't been close friends or family. I plan to make sure to casually ask during the interview if any of the kids are well-known to the person being interviewed, like it's no big deal!
MyAngels 12:11 PM 03-03-2011
Do you have any employment agencies nearby, or maybe a temp agency? When I was very young I worked at a temp agency and did all kinds of things, including filling in at a daycare center occasionally. Some of the temp agencies around here will let you hire their temps permanently if it works out.
DCMomOf3 12:22 PM 03-03-2011
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
Some of the temp agencies around here will let you hire their temps permanently if it works out.
Fyi, they usually hire out for a large fee. i was hired out and the company had to pay one years salary for me. I don't know if that is the same everywhere or for every job though.
Michelle 12:42 PM 03-03-2011
try www.care.com
Tags:assistants
Reply Up