Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Volcano Ideas....
melskids 05:44 AM 01-19-2012
Let me have them!

We will be building an erupting volcano, but I"m looking for MORE ideas!!!!

TIA!
kendallina 10:05 AM 01-19-2012
I take cookie sheets and cover them with hills of baking soda (I use a lot!). Two kids per cookie sheet. Then I give them colored vinegar (red or you can use any color) and eye droppers and they can make a ton of little volcanos. That way, they get to see little mini-volcano reactions many times, at their own control and get some fine motor and hand/eye coordination with the eye droppers. They LOVE it!

Warning: by the end, it's a garbled mess, but totally worth it!

I would love to hear how you're doing your big volcano...
kendallina 10:07 AM 01-19-2012
You can also play a molten lava game. Works great if you have a red carpet, but it's not necessary. I just lay out some felt scraps and pretend those are the safe rocks and the carpet is hot lava. The kids have to jump from rock to rock to get around. You can make it an encouraging game, too, where everyone has to cross from one side of the room to the other and they all cheer each other on.
Michael 12:06 PM 01-19-2012
This thread may be helpful: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40087
melskids 02:52 AM 01-20-2012
Thanks for the ideas guys!!

I think we are going to do the paper maiche type volcano.

I'm also going to build a HUGE one in the dramatic play area...not sure how yet, but I saw one on pinterest (im addicted to that place) where they filled brown grocery bags to look like rocks and used some sort of red felt to look like lava coming out. We'll see!!!!
Tags:volcano
Reply Up