Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sprinkler System Required...
KDC 08:52 AM 06-04-2013
So, we need to install a sprinkler system on our first floor by the basement door if we are to use the basement at all for daycare. I have a large playroom downstairs that I would LOVE to use for daycare, but IL state rules we must have a residential sprinkler system by the basement door for this to be legal. Has anyone installed a sprinkler head? How much $$ did it run you? My husband is pretty handy, but he is not a plumber and it doesn't seem to be a DIY project =(
daycarediva 10:12 AM 06-04-2013
My dh is a plumber, but he is on a service call right now. He should be back within the next 15 minutes or so and I will ask him what he knows.

He wanted to install one in our basement (living room/gym/my kids playroom/master bedroom and bath) BUT he was super nervous about something little setting it off and ruining our things (I often light candles)
KDC 12:27 PM 06-04-2013
Thanks Diva... our bathroom is adjacent to the basement door... so it shouldn't be too hard to route the water, but I envision cutting walls open and I freak out a bit. Any info would be awesome. Thinking about calling local plumbers in the area to get an idea of cost.
daycarediva 02:14 PM 06-04-2013
My dh said it would be really expensive for a plumber to install (duh) and recommends getting a box kit if you try to DIY. He has only ever done 2, but were commercial jobs, and they were well out of the typical homeowner/handyman skill level, even in a single room setting. It also varies per job (where things are located). Dh also says depending on state guidelines, (here) you have to have a separate line run from the main line (can't tie in to existing plumbing).

Not much help, unfortunately since he says it varies SO MUCH.
itlw8 05:33 PM 06-04-2013
I had to put one in the furnace room because the ceiling and walls are not thick enough sheet rock and there is no way to do it now... the ceiling is not finished so the pipe was exposed by the furnace. But it cost us around $100 about 10 years ago.
kelsey's kids 08:07 AM 06-05-2013
I also have to have them put in my entire house by August 2014 to continue to do daycare in home. My city just passed a new ordinance if you watch more than four kids you have to have them.
KDC 10:22 AM 06-05-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
My dh said it would be really expensive for a plumber to install (duh) and recommends getting a box kit if you try to DIY. He has only ever done 2, but were commercial jobs, and they were well out of the typical homeowner/handyman skill level, even in a single room setting. It also varies per job (where things are located). Dh also says depending on state guidelines, (here) you have to have a separate line run from the main line (can't tie in to existing plumbing).

Not much help, unfortunately since he says it varies SO MUCH.
This is what I was afraid of... The fire marshall has been called and should be stopping by any day now since I'm up for my renewal. I'm hoping he could shed some light on what they consider appropriate. Everything else is up to code in the basement, just this stinkin' sprinkler. I would never use candles during dc hours, or have ANYTHING cooking with kids in the basement, common sense isn't enough these days. I hear they're touchy too... some heat could set them off inadvertently. I'm all for safety, but geesh - opening walls and installing a sprinkler system is kind of over the top I would think. We do have a new constructed house (2005), all the fire alarms are tied together, I wouldn't think a sprinkler system would be necessary...
Crazy In Mo 10:53 AM 06-05-2013
My husband is a plumber but he said its very simple. The sprinkler head itself only cost $7.
Reply Up