Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Do I Tell A Parent No More?
JENNL49 11:08 AM 07-18-2013
I have a very difficult family. They of course think their children are angels. My house is being destroyed and the children are very disrespectful. Getting worse as they get older. I have watched them for 3 years now. How do I go about telling the family I can no longer watch their kids? Im so nervous about it and have been putting it off for a long time!!

Thanks!
My3cents 11:46 AM 07-18-2013
Originally Posted by JENNL49:
I have a very difficult family. They of course think their children are angels. My house is being destroyed and the children are very disrespectful. Getting worse as they get older. I have watched them for 3 years now. How do I go about telling the family I can no longer watch their kids? Im so nervous about it and have been putting it off for a long time!!

Thanks!
you don't. You start implementing some rules and regs and then let the parents decide if they want to stay or not. 3 years is way too long to have put up with this. none the less start now. Contract, rule, handbook and policies. Stop being the parents best friends and let them know how your conducting your business and what is and what is not acceptable.
Laurel 01:41 PM 07-18-2013
Originally Posted by JENNL49:

Thanks!
I would just say what you said here.

"I am sorry but I am no longer willing to watch your children. As time goes on the children are disrespectful to me and my belongings. I probably should have told you sooner but I thought things would get better and they haven't. You will need to find different care by such and such date."

I know some don't like to give reasons but I would.

Laurel
Blackcat31 01:56 PM 07-18-2013
Originally Posted by Laurel:

"I am sorry but I am no longer willing to watch your children. As time goes on the children are disrespectful to me and my belongings. I probably should have told you sooner but I thought things would get better and they haven't. You will need to find different care by such and such date."

Laurel

Sometimes parents NEED to know the reasons....(maybe to instigate a change...etc)

Other times, I don't bother giving a reason because it opens up the situation for negotiation and sometimes I am done trying to "fix" things and just want it to be done/
Laurel 03:39 PM 07-18-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Sometimes parents NEED to know the reasons....(maybe to instigate a change...etc)

Other times, I don't bother giving a reason because it opens up the situation for negotiation and sometimes I am done trying to "fix" things and just want it to be done/
Well I've never termed anyone (although I should have once) and if the family has been there that long then I'd give a reason for sure as they would probably wonder, why now after all this time?

Laurel
JENNL49 09:20 AM 07-26-2013
Thanks everyone! I am writing up new contracts and rules and we will see what happens from here on!
Starburst 10:42 AM 07-26-2013
Originally Posted by Laurel:

Laurel

But I was a little confused in your original statement, have you ever told them about the issues you have had with their children? If not I think they should get a warning/ probation, it would be fair especially if they didn't know anything about their children's behavior. You can also do a probation period where they have 2 weeks for their child's behavior to improve or find a new daycare. If you did tell them multiple times and they shrugged it off or didn't do anything about it, then I would go ahead and term already for breach of contract(Failure to follow house rules, creating a dangerous or hostile environment for other children, disrespectful behavior toward child care provider/provider's home, etc.).

In the future (if you don't already), document everything! write down the time, date, where, who, what happened/led up to incident, guidance/discipline used, etc. (if possible take pictures of the before/after damage or a hidden video camera). Also hold them responsible for any major damage to your property or belongings at your daycare.
Reply Up