Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Text, call, or in person?
Indoorvoice 03:29 PM 08-29-2014
I changed my closing time for one of my friends because traffic is bad. I really close at 5,but stay open just for her until 5:30 and she is abusing it. She is not a good enough friend that I talk to her every day. She is more like a good acquaintance. I would feel more comfortable texting her that I'm changing her pick up time back to 5, but I'm worried she will be offended that I didn't call or tell her in person. She is just very awkward to talk to about business stuff. What would you do?
hope 03:58 PM 08-29-2014
How is she abusing it? If she lied n was going to the store before picking up I would say go ahead and text her. She doesn't deserve too much respect then. If she is abusing by not asking her boss for an earlier leave time then I would talk it out with her in person. She may not understand what that half hour means to you. It all depends on the abuse.
NeedaVaca 04:08 PM 08-29-2014
For something like this which is basically a change in the contract I would type a letter and give it to her. If you are worried it will be awkward you can hand it to her as she is leaving, tell her to read it this evening and get back to you if she has any questions.

I do text/email with my DCF's but I wouldn't in this situation. I would also want it signed with new contract times, effective date, etc...
Indoorvoice 05:44 PM 08-29-2014
No she is definitely doing other things before pickup. Last week she came with a friend so obviously she didn't come right from work and then this week she came twice in sweat pants. I have no problem staying open until 5:30 when she legitimately needs that much time to get home from work (which I believe she really does most days) but on days when she gets out early or something, I would really like her to be here by the time I actually close.

So really, I'm not changing her contract because the contract says 5:00 and I verbally agreed to 5:30 without late charges . Whether I decide to do it face to face or over the phone, what is a friendly way to bring this up? I know it's my fault for offering special, so I don't want to come off like I'm mad or annoyed. I just want her to realize that she is the ONLY reason I'm open that late and that if she doesn't NEED me until 5:30,then I shouldn't be working that late.
Crazy8 05:47 PM 08-29-2014
do it in person - that is the most professional way. And I would just say something like "I know I said I would stay open till 5:30 for you but unfortunately that isn't working for me and I need to go back to a 5pm closing. I understand if you need to find alternate care".
daycare 05:56 PM 08-29-2014
friends aside, you are running a business....... I don't know of any business that text me to tell me they are having issues with how I use their services.

I would kindly say with a smile, hey sue I wanted to talk to you about pick up time. I know that you have a really hard time getting here by 500 some days, but it is just as equally hard for me to do it every day. I don't mind if it is a once in while thing, but please understand that it is not cost effective for me to remain open for only one child without an additional fees being charged. (only say the bold part if you are open to letting her pay a higher rate)

How do you think that we could work this out so that you can be here by 500 on most days? then leave it for her to answer.

If this were me and she wanted that 530 pick up I would say ok but its going to cost you and additional $50.00 a week.

I have families that go over their contracted hours and I charge them a higher rate as long as it is arranged in advance.

BTW. I find that if you practice it before you talk to her about it, you will be able to do it slowly, with patience and a smile. THe parent won't know that you are annoyed by it.
Indoorvoice 06:40 AM 08-30-2014
Thank you! I couldn't come up with the words, but between the both of you, I think I can do it. Crossing my fingers it isn't too awkward.
Reply Up