Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
1 2
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Filed a Complaint on Provider - Was A Misunderstanding
Cat Herder 11:28 AM 06-13-2018
Originally Posted by Annalee:
In the new rules, we have to have a documented monthly activity for parent engagement
Here, too.

These can be done before opening (Muffins with Mom, Doughnuts with Dad), on weekends (Tricycle/bike Races at the local park and a Helmet Safety lecture with handouts) or after closing (Open house to look at the artwork and let the kids tell the story of one of their painting's to the group).

Front porch conferences work for this, too. Just be sure to have them sign in and out or you don't get credit.

Don't spend much. Don't expect much. Attendance is great at first, then drops after the first few offerings. I still have not received an answer about getting marked off because no one shows up. I went with having the parents sign notice of invitation last go round, I had no documentation of actual attendance because no one showed. I am not sure the observer noticed the difference and the box was checked.
LysesKids 12:02 PM 06-13-2018
In the new rules, we have to have a documented monthly activity for parent engagement
Oh I hadn't seen that one yet... still reading thru the new stuff. I knew you were already having issues with QRIS crap. Maybe my Monday morning coffee and muffins would count? I've been doing that for years lol
Annalee 02:47 PM 06-13-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Here, too.

These can be done before opening (Muffins with Mom, Doughnuts with Dad), on weekends (Tricycle/bike Races at the local park and a Helmet Safety lecture with handouts) or after closing (Open house to look at the artwork and let the kids tell the story of one of their painting's to the group).

Front porch conferences work for this, too. Just be sure to have them sign in and out or you don't get credit.

Don't spend much. Don't expect much. Attendance is great at first, then drops after the first few offerings. I still have not received an answer about getting marked off because no one shows up. I went with having the parents sign notice of invitation last go round, I had no documentation of actual attendance because no one showed. I am not sure the observer noticed the difference and the box was checked.
Thanks for the ideas!
lovemykidstoo 04:51 PM 06-13-2018
Oi really? Is that for family, group or center? Is that in particular states or the entire U.S.?
Annalee 04:55 PM 06-13-2018
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Oi really? Is that for family, group or center? Is that in particular states or the entire U.S.?
In my state for family and group. I have not looked at the center rules so not sure about that.
lovemykidstoo 04:59 PM 06-13-2018
In my state for family and group. I have not looked at the center rules so not sure about that.
What state are you in may I ask? So not to be grumpy, but it's not enough that we're working 10 hour days if not longer and now we need to have more activities?
Annalee 05:08 PM 06-13-2018
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
What state are you in may I ask? So not to be grumpy, but it's not enough that we're working 10 hour days if not longer and now we need to have more activities?
Tennessee
Stressed&Obsessed 06:29 AM 06-14-2018
As daycare providers I often think we get the bad rap! We have to look out for each child in our care, mine being about 50 a day this summer!! I love when parents want to be involved with their kids lives but I have to think about each child. Some of my parents I know have had issues with domestic assault and such things and I cannot let them be around other kids. Thankfully my center is large enough where if a parent shows up and wants to see their kid they can be in a separate room from my other kids! Even the state people will ask to talk to the kids in separate rooms!!

I think it’s important for parents to remember that not all parents are good and wholesome and we cannot be responsible to sort through who is who! Children’s safety comes first.
daycarediva 10:03 AM 06-14-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I completely understand what you are saying.

It did work well and was commonly expected and understood for many decades. There was a mutual respect. Now we are guilty before being proven innocent.

I had to let go of my pride and privacy to stay in business a tad bit longer. Our regulation is worded: "Parents have the right to go into any area of the home used for child care any time during the home’s operating hours. " Even if the kids are already gone for the day, early. They can come back.

Inspectors go into my bedrooms, bathrooms, closets, attic, sheds and barn. None of which are used for daycare. It is my new normal.

Same here. Just had a registrar opening drawers in my master bathroom. N. ot in DC space, NEVER used for DC. NO PRIVACY.

Shed, dh's shop and office, I even had to submit the survey of my property.

Originally Posted by racemom:
I think people are interpreting OP differently, I didn't think she wanted to hang out in the area, I thought she wanted to walk dck downstairs for drop off only and was told no she had to text 15 minutes ahead of time. Breastfeeding was a different issue, but I may be reading it wrong. Hanging out with the group is an entirely different situation than coming in for drop off.
As I understood it, op wanted to come in and BF in the daycare area during lunch time regularly. I don't even have adult sized chairs, nor am I willing to entertain an unfingerprinted adult during meal times (busy!)
Meeko 05:30 PM 06-14-2018
Originally Posted by mommyneedsadayoff:
I am pretty sure Meeko still posts occassionally, but there are some great threads in the archive about having parents around the kids, even supervised. I cannot find the exact thread, but the father of her dcg ended up going to prison I think for pedophilia and molesting his daughter. I remember reading it and feeling how haunted she felt by something she thought was so innocent. I guess he "dropped in" in often and seemed very normal and nice.

There are a LOT of things that can be done even if notleft unsupervised. Not just to the children, but to the LONE adult in charge of a vulnerable population. We need to be keeping our own protection in mind as well, as we are the first line of defense for the kids.
Still here! I did a complete 180 when we had our child rapist dad hanging out for hours at a time. I used to invite parents to do so...help out with parties...play with the other kids etc.....until then. I guess I always assumed the horror stories happened to other providers and would never happen to me.

WRONG.

Mr. Perfect Polite Gentleman In A Business Suit was a complete monster. Now I trust NOBODY around the kids. Utah has an "open door" policy. This does not mean parents can hang out. They must have immediate access to THEIR child. They also have a right to inspect where their child plays during the day. They are free to do that...AFTER I have removed all the other children from said room. And after that, I would term for lack of trust. I get very thorough inspections from the state, the food program, the fire department and enviromental health. I expect parents to trust those inspections. If they don't....they need other care for their child.
amberrose3dg 06:07 AM 06-15-2018
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Still here! I did a complete 180 when we had our child rapist dad hanging out for hours at a time. I used to invite parents to do so...help out with parties...play with the other kids etc.....until then. I guess I always assumed the horror stories happened to other providers and would never happen to me.

WRONG.

Mr. Perfect Polite Gentleman In A Business Suit was a complete monster. Now I trust NOBODY around the kids. Utah has an "open door" policy. This does not mean parents can hang out. They must have immediate access to THEIR child. They also have a right to inspect where their child plays during the day. They are free to do that...AFTER I have removed all the other children from said room. And after that, I would term for lack of trust. I get very thorough inspections from the state, the food program, the fire department and enviromental health. I expect parents to trust those inspections. If they don't....they need other care for their child.

Country Kids 08:35 AM 06-15-2018
Originally Posted by Meeko:

WRONG.

The thing is though, even after having thorough inspections from different agencies there have been horror stories from some childcare's. We have one in our area and for some reason there was no news coverage, nothing in the paper, nothing to let us know what happened in that house. The stories parents are telling though are shocking and it is amazing after having licensing, food program and sanitation coming back and forth that the issues happened.
amberrose3dg 09:12 AM 06-15-2018
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
The thing is though, even after having thorough inspections from different agencies there have been horror stories from some childcare's. We have one in our area and for some reason there was no news coverage, nothing in the paper, nothing to let us know what happened in that house. The stories parents are telling though are shocking and it is amazing after having licensing, food program and sanitation coming back and forth that the issues happened.
Then they will probably still happen with parents dropping in. Evil will always be evil.They will find ways.One thing we have to limit is other parents accessing other people's children.There are privacy concerns. I know here we have to be careful with the information parents are given regarding other children. It is a slippery slope but those parents aren't background checked either. They can come pop in whenever but more than likely anyone doing something they aren't supposed to will stop.
Tags:access, breastfeeding in daycare, false allegations, interruptions, misunderstanding, mixed age group, strapped, tied, unreasonable parental expectations
1 2
Reply Up