Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Food Program Participant, Cereals?
Abigail 02:02 PM 09-10-2011
Can I serve cereal for breakfast if I join the food program? I was thinking M, W, and F would all be healthy home cooked meals and T, TH would be cereal options. I want to know what cereals should be offered?
rysakaem1 02:42 PM 09-10-2011
I don't know if they are all the same but I'm allowed to serve any with less than 10g of sugar per serving.
Blackcat31 03:54 PM 09-10-2011
I've never seen an actual list of approved cereals but I only serve the ones you can get with WIC so I figure I am good. I list them by name and no one at my food program offices have ever said they aren't credible.
daycare 04:15 PM 09-10-2011
I serve most oatmeals and anything that is not sweetened
Cherrios
Kix
Cornflakes
Rasinbran, rasin are high in fruit sugar
KEG123 05:31 PM 09-10-2011
Yes you can. I mostly serve cereal snack mix for snacks though. Oatmeal, pancakes, waffles, french toast and muffins are my breakfasts. But I agree with Blackcat, to only feed ones on the wic list because they are high iron, low sugar. Kix, cheerios, corn flakes, chex, life, etc.
GretasLittleFriends 09:39 AM 09-12-2011
My food program rep said breakfast needs to consist of a grain, milk & fruit (or juice). She said I could serve cereal with milk in it, then a glass of juice to drink (approved juice of course).

She told me the cereal could be any type AS LONG AS the first ingredient was a whole grain of some sort. So like Blackcat mentioned, the ones that are WIC approved meet food program guidelines.

I was surprised to learn that some cereals have sugar or h.f.corn syrup as a first ingredient. One cereal that does is Post Waffle Crisp.
Unregistered 08:00 AM 10-14-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I serve most oatmeals and anything that is not sweetened
Cherrios
Kix
Cornflakes
Rasinbran, rasin are high in fruit sugar
Raisin Bran has high fructose corn syrup in it. I was so sad to find that out after I bought it in a hurry one day.

We get Cheerios, Honey Nut Cheerios, Honey Bunches of Oats, or Life Cereal. They are all oat based with regular sugar, not HFCS.
dave4him 07:45 PM 10-14-2011
I cannot figure out why anyone wants malto meal
Tags:breakfast, cereal, food program, meals, sugar
Reply Up