Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Breakfast...Vent
mrs.meg 06:08 AM 05-31-2011
Well, I told my dc parents that I would no longer serve breakfast for the summer. One family was okay, the other was a little upset and said that she doesn't understand why I can't just give them some cereal. I have not raised my rates in 4 years and I am in the process of quitting in 3 months. I am tired of very picky eaters. All the dc kids want to eat is pop-tarts, honey buns and donuts for breakfast. I cannot afford to buy this type of food and I with my kids, donuts & sweet snacks are a treat, not something we have daily or even weekly. I told them I would be serving a HEALTHY snack at 9 am, probably consisting of some fruit and crackers or something like that.

I have one little boy that is obsessed with fruit snacks and eats them on his way here and on his way home. They seem to think this is really fruit and to me, that is like eating candy. I just do not understand why people can't serve their children breakfast. My kids eat every day at 6:30 am and have to wait until lunch to eat at school. They are healthy, I have never expected anyone else to serve them breakfast. I guess they want their money's worth but at $15/day I have news for them that I am not making hardly any money!
Zoe 06:12 AM 05-31-2011
Wow. 15 a day! I don't blame you for not serving breakfast! It's YOUR decision for YOUR business, so stick to your guns!
nannyde 06:20 AM 05-31-2011
Fruit snacks are candy.

What you are seeing is a wave going on across the US.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...ighlight=candy

Candy in the morning is actually becoming very common.

It's a natural progression of giving the ultimate in happiness. Kids are so used to having pop-tarts, HIGHLY sugared cereal, donuts, high fat high sugar waffles and french toast sticks... that they really aren't a "treat" or a good bribe that will be enough to get the kid not to cry in the morning.

Giving straight candy is becoming a norm because it litterally is the highest possible amount of straight sugar other than just giving them a bowl of straight sugar. Candy isn't as messy as straight sugar so candy is perferred.

The good news is there's no where else to go. This generation has reached the ultimate in the absoulute worst possible thing to give your kids for breakfast.

We are having the onset of type two diabetes getting younger and younger. Once the average onset is preschoolers THEN people will change it... but not until then. That's not too far off. Another generation and it will be commonplace
morgan24 06:29 AM 05-31-2011
Wait until the decay on their teeth sets in from all the fruit snacks. I would stick with your decision on not serving breakfast. I think if your feeding a snack at 9:00 that would be okay. The dcps who are mad are because now they actually have to parent their own kids by feeding them.
dEHmom 06:47 AM 05-31-2011
I would go one step further. Advise them, because of your RIDICULOUSLY low rate/day, you cannot afford breakfast any longer.

2 options:

1) daycare parents alternate providing healthy meals for each week.

2) raise the rate/day to include the cost of the breakfast.

I guarantee the parents will choose the option of no breakfast to begin with, or after they figure out the cost of breakfast weekly.
mrs.meg 06:47 AM 05-31-2011
I agree with you all, it is crazy! I have problems with sugar myself and I know how addictive it is. I try to stay away from it because when I eat it, that is all I want.

Also, the price of groceries has gone up so high that I either needed to raise my rates or cut out a meal. I cook breakfast a lot for my kids because they like having eggs and "real" food. I once served biscuits to all the kids and the dcg that I watched acted like it was bugs or something. She says they don't eat biscuits at her house. Her dad says she eats them all the time, but my guess is it is from McDonald's or DQ. I can't compete with that, I put ground flax and WW flour, so everything here is "brown" I had to start buying white bread because they do not eat brown! So, it seems that everything they eat is either processed/refined sugar. They do not even like it when I bake cookies or brownies because they don't come out of a wrapper!!!
dEHmom 06:52 AM 05-31-2011
honestly, parents will have to complain whether they do it to you, or to themselves or other people.

giving them the option helps them feel like they had a say in it.

I'd just let them know, either they get a rate increase, or they don't get breakfast. simple, you know they will choose no breakfast because they don't want to dish out the money. they like feeling like YOU are paying for it. I don't even charge 15/day for a half day! if you factor in the food programs $/meals/snacks, you're only being paid about $10/day after food for each kid.
MN Mom 07:07 AM 05-31-2011
Originally Posted by mrs.meg:
I agree with you all, it is crazy! I have problems with sugar myself and I know how addictive it is. I try to stay away from it because when I eat it, that is all I want.

Also, the price of groceries has gone up so high that I either needed to raise my rates or cut out a meal. I cook breakfast a lot for my kids because they like having eggs and "real" food. I once served biscuits to all the kids and the dcg that I watched acted like it was bugs or something. She says they don't eat biscuits at her house. Her dad says she eats them all the time, but my guess is it is from McDonald's or DQ. I can't compete with that, I put ground flax and WW flour, so everything here is "brown" I had to start buying white bread because they do not eat brown! So, it seems that everything they eat is either processed/refined sugar. They do not even like it when I bake cookies or brownies because they don't come out of a wrapper!!!
Instead of white bread, you can go with old fashioned potato bread. It is chalk full of vitamins that white doesn't have (unless it's fortified white). My oldest DD hates wheat bread, and this was my compromise to her. It's still not as healthy as whole wheat, but it's a much better alternative than white.
dEHmom 07:08 AM 05-31-2011
i'm guessing i've just gotten lucky...because although i have picky eaters, they all gobble up the healthy foods and mostly turn their nose up at the not so healthy stuff. *knock on wood*
nannyde 07:10 AM 05-31-2011

I did quite a few years with no breakfast and I LOVED it.

I had to clarify what that meant tho...

No breakfast for me meant: I don't DO any breakfast. I don't cook it, serve it, supervise it, or clean it up. The children must be COMPLETELY done with breakfast and breakfast drink BEFORE knocking on my door. This means that they can't bring any food or drink item into the house and they must be cleaned up completely BEFORE knocking on my door.

I also had to eventually NOT do morning snack. I had too many problems with parents wanting their kid to have breakfast as morning snack. When I had kids who had morning snack and wanted WAY more than the snack portions I would tell parents that they are wanting a huge morning snack. They wanted me to let them have it. A big morning snack of crackers and juice affected their hunger for lunch.

I had too many situations where they would come in and say "he'll probably be really hungry for morning snack because he WOULDN'T EAT breakfast".

When I cut out morning snack and JUST did early as possible lunch and afternoon snack THEN the parents started feeding them breakfast. I wasn't on the food program so I did lunch from 10:45 a.m. to 11:15 a.m.

It was a process to get them to actually do it.... all of it. Morning snack was their get out of jail free card because they KNEW I wouldn't with hold food from the kids. Once they KNEW that the kid wouldn't have ANYTHING until 10:45 a.m. they started doing breakfast.
Unregistered 07:39 AM 05-31-2011
I could not imagine not doing breakfast. My kids come at 7:30 and we eat lunch at 11:30. My parents would not come to my house if their kids could not eat. My own kid doesnt even eat until the dck get here. Plus, I get paid to feed it to them. Food program $ pays me to offer healthy food and breakfast is 1/3 of that daily piece.
countrymom 08:06 AM 05-31-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Fruit snacks are candy.

What you are seeing is a wave going on across the US.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/showth...ighlight=candy

Candy in the morning is actually becoming very common.

It's a natural progression of giving the ultimate in happiness. Kids are so used to having pop-tarts, HIGHLY sugared cereal, donuts, high fat high sugar waffles and french toast sticks... that they really aren't a "treat" or a good bribe that will be enough to get the kid not to cry in the morning.

Giving straight candy is becoming a norm because it litterally is the highest possible amount of straight sugar other than just giving them a bowl of straight sugar. Candy isn't as messy as straight sugar so candy is perferred.

The good news is there's no where else to go. This generation has reached the ultimate in the absoulute worst possible thing to give your kids for breakfast.

We are having the onset of type two diabetes getting younger and younger. Once the average onset is preschoolers THEN people will change it... but not until then. That's not too far off. Another generation and it will be commonplace
don't forget gum. And blue hubba bubba to boot. Seriously if your kid has a mouth full of silver fillings why on earth would you give them gum.
Another thing is parents are becoming "LAZY" yup, they want thier toddlers to start to fend for themselves and make their own food. Also its easier to shove a fruit snack in a childs hand rather than peel an apple.
countrymom 08:13 AM 05-31-2011

I had a boy who was 5 at the time, so I was making pizza from scratch. So as I was making the dough he asks me what I'm doing, and I tell him I'm making the dough for the pizza. He tells me thats not how to make pizza, you need to call and order it and its done for you. Boy did I have a good laugh.
I have to agree with kids not eating homemade stuff, my own children love the fact that i bake stuff all the time (yesterday I made double brownies and they were hidden in the microwave so dh wouldn't eat them) but my daycare kids like to pick at things. Unless it comes from the freezer or from a can kids now a days have no idea what good healthy food is.
nannyde 08:28 AM 05-31-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I could not imagine not doing breakfast. My kids come at 7:30 and we eat lunch at 11:30. My parents would not come to my house if their kids could not eat. My own kid doesnt even eat until the dck get here. Plus, I get paid to feed it to them. Food program $ pays me to offer healthy food and breakfast is 1/3 of that daily piece.
Actually the idea of breakfast at school and day care is really pretty new. It started in the early seventies for poor schools and then was federally funded in all school showing need in the mid seventies.

It wasn't THAT long ago that parents got up.. made a big hearty healthy breakfast for their child and had a FAMILY meal BEFORE they went to school.

I was raised as a teen in mid to late seventies and I got up EVERY morning and made breakfast for my siblings. A full complete big breakfast to get us through until lunch.

We rotated:

Oatmeal/toast/fruit and milk
Pancakes, sausage, fruit and milk
French Toast, bacon, fruit and milk
Eggs/ hashbrowns, toast and milk
Rice, fruit, toast, and milk

I did it as a preteen and teenager so the idea of adult parents doing it with their small children is not that far of a leap.

We had six kids in our family. I did breakfast AND completely finished the dishes before I walked out the door every single day. My step sister and I took turns cooking and turns washing/drying dishes. We did that EVERY day for seven years.

When I was in Jr High the school day started at 7:30 and it was a 2.2 mile walk. I had to get up... cook... serve... and clean breakfast for five kids... then collect... clean... and put away all the dishes. Then I walked 2.2 miles to school in Rapid City South Dakota where it snows feet of snow at a time.

I never had a ride... not one single day.

If I could pull that off as a pre-teen... teenager for a five school aged child/teen group then I think the parents could manage making breakfast for their one or two kids.

It's a rediculous notion to think that kids can't eat breakfast at home. You just get up early and DO THE WORK.
Live and Learn 08:31 AM 05-31-2011
....she doesn't understand why I can't just give them some cereal.
Why can't she just give them some cereal then?

Stand your ground......no breakfast!

I can't believe that you have served breakfast, snack and lunch on $15 per day. Wow!
cheerfuldom 08:31 AM 05-31-2011
yes its really scary what parents will serve to their kids. I have even had two special needs kids whose diets where so awful. One little girl ate a hot dog every day and she was so underweight. The parents were not interested in finding healthy ways for her to gain weight. We have had a lot of fast food here lately because things are crazy with my newborn only being a few weeks old. We are back on track though and my older girls are back to fresh fruit and other healthy options. You know what? they like it better! I serve the two snacks per day here and the parents send lunch. This is my way of making sure that these kids get some fresh fruit or vegetable each day as well as anything else I can get them to try. Almost all of my daycare kids have lived on graduate/lunchable type meals if not worse options.
dEHmom 08:43 AM 05-31-2011
When I was in Jr High the school day started at 7:30 and it was a 2.2 mile walk. I had to get up... cook... serve... and clean breakfast for five kids... then collect... clean... and put away all the dishes. Then I walked 2.2 miles to school in Rapid City South Dakota where it snows feet of snow at a time.
Sorry Nan have to say it...

And you walked up hill BOTH WAYS too right? :P jk
jen 08:54 AM 05-31-2011
Grandma dropped off my 2 yo bcb with a tootsie pop in his mouth this morning...
nannyde 08:55 AM 05-31-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:

It was hilly for sure
mrs.meg 09:06 AM 05-31-2011
Country mom, I had the same type of experience when I was mashing potatoes, the dcg and her brother were AMAZED! I like to bake bread with them, they had no idea how bread was made, either! Their mom said that she would not even know where to start at making bread! Not that I bake bread all the time, but I didn't realize this was something unusual.

I am not on the food program, so I do not get paid to feed kids. If they wanted to go somewhere else, that is fine with me, they probably won't because daycare is more expensive. However, where we live even daycare is only $95/week for a baby and $85 for an older child. Daycare is much cheaper here than in the bigger cities around us.

I think I agree with giving them a choice. I may put something in writing to see what they say.

Nannyde, you did a LOT as a teen, kids nowadays would die at the thought of doing 1/2 of that. We are a spoiled society!!!! Also, I can see where the morning snack could be a problem with them thinking it is breakfast. I told them that it will be one serving of fruit and one serving of crackers or something and I will not be giving them 3 or 4 helpings so they need to feed them before they come.
cheerfuldom 09:12 AM 05-31-2011
I am ashamed to say that when I got married, it didn't even occur to me that mashed potatoes could be made fresh, we always had them from a box growing up. My husband showed me how to make them. Thats one great thing about the midwest. Having your own garden, canning, making things fresh are much more common and I have learned so much since I got married!
Sugar Magnolia 10:26 AM 05-31-2011
I think $15 a day is way too low, regardless of food. I get $39 a day (center), and provide snacks and beverages only, parents provide lunch. I could not imagine watching a child for $1.50 an hour. So you'd have to have 5 kids just to make minimum wage. That begs the question: WHY?
WDW 02:26 PM 05-31-2011
It's a rediculous notion to think that kids can't eat breakfast at home. You just get up early and DO THE WORK.
I agree but that's NEVER going to happen. 1. Parents don't want to do the work. That's why they pay us.

2. Not only do they not want to do the work, they don't want to spend any more time than they possibly have to with their kids.

Sad.
jen 02:28 PM 05-31-2011
Originally Posted by WDW:
I agree but that's NEVER going to happen. 1. Parents don't want to do the work. That's why they pay us.

2. Not only do they not want to do the work, they don't want to spend any more time than they possibly have to with their kids.

Sad.
I totally agree with this...plus they want the most bang for their buck...

I have actually had a parent drop off a clearly upset child and when I asked why, Mom said:

"Oh, she's just mad because I wouldn't give her any of MY breakfast this morning. I told her she could eat at your house. I'm paying for it."
daycare 02:34 PM 05-31-2011
just tell them you will continue to give breakfast , but it will cost $8.00 each day more. lol

I have kids who their parents will give them candy on the drive to DC. the parents use it to bribe their child into their carseat. Whatever happened to get into your carseat we are leaving and if they cry, then that is what you listen to on your way to DC. I think that parents have so many options these days that they feel not having to hear their child cry is an option. I hate to say it, if you have a child, chances are they are going to CRY!!

lol I should write a book , like the one if you give a pig a pancake...lol

If you tell a child no, chances are theyre going to cry! thats the title!!
mrs.meg 02:55 PM 05-31-2011
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
I think $15 a day is way too low, regardless of food. I get $39 a day (center), and provide snacks and beverages only, parents provide lunch. I could not imagine watching a child for $1.50 an hour. So you'd have to have 5 kids just to make minimum wage. That begs the question: WHY?
That is the going rate here, well, daycare is only $10 more and I don't have a curriculum, so I don't charge as much. I just babysit! I take care of them, feed them and make sure they don't kill each other. I do read them books and sing songs with them, but I can't compete with a center.

Daycare, 8 more dollars, that is perfect! You should write that book and title it "common sense", parents these days really don't have any!
daycare 03:02 PM 05-31-2011
That is the going rate here, well, daycare is only $10 more and I don't have a curriculum, so I don't charge as much. I just babysit! I take care of them, feed them and make sure they don't kill each other. I do read them books and sing songs with them, but I can't compete with a center.

Daycare, 8 more dollars, that is perfect! You should write that book and title it "common sense", parents these days really don't have any!
LOL...... that's funny, yet sad....why because its true. However, i think it takes a lot more these days than just good old common sense.... my sister has zero, shes super smart and a good mom, but let me tell you this, her stule of parenting drives me insane..... She gives her kids soooo many options. What happened to you give them two option and if they dont decide then THE PARENT DECIDES...ugh
mrs.meg 03:09 PM 05-31-2011
It is sad, and it drives me crazy, too. It seems like everyone thinks it is a crime to be a parent and not allow kids to make every decision.

One thing that drives me crazy with the bunch I have is that there seems to be no right or wrong, everything is okay. Like one of the dcb broke a tricycle here. His dad came and he told his dad about it and his dad said to me, "well, it looks like you got a lot of good use out of that" He never apologized or offered to pay for it. I really did not care about the tricycle, I just thought that he should have at the very least acknowledged that his son did something wrong. He is always rough with things! Then it is like they use the same voice for praise and correction. I am not saying I want to yell at the kids, but I am not going to sing them a song when they are tearing my house down!!
daycare 03:43 PM 05-31-2011
Gerr I know exactly waht you mean..

I send out weekly notices and I asked that the parents make sure that they walk their child up to the door and stay with their child at all times. I explained that last week several of the kids are walking up to the front door and kicking it instead of knocking. I also told them that I had to spend time repairing the front door this weekend.
They have also been running onto my neighbors side of the property and pulling on his really nice potted plants.

One of the moms comes to me this morning and asks was my child one of the kids that is doing this. I said yes and she just laughed, and said go figure, boy's what will ya do.....OMG really

I am not too sure what is wrong with parents these days. I think its a comobo of over worked paretns not wanting to take the time to parent becusae its just easier not to....
mrs.meg 04:35 PM 05-31-2011
I agree, I get that "boys will be boys" thing a lot because I just have girls!
Sugar Magnolia 04:37 PM 05-31-2011
I'm sorry, that sounded snotty and I didn't mean for it to come out that way. What I should have said was: you probably deserve a higher rate, especially if you provide food at your expense. I had no idea that was a going rate in your area, I'm sorry. I'm sure you have a nice place and do nice things for the kids. But wow, it just seems like quality care is really under-priced there. People who care for kids DESERVE more pay, my poorly-put point.
Sugar Magnolia 04:40 PM 05-31-2011
I'm sorry, that sounded snotty and I didn't mean for it to come out that way. What I should have said was: you probably deserve a higher rate, especially if you provide food at your expense. I had no idea that was a going rate in your area, I'm sorry. I'm sure you have a nice place and do nice things for the kids. But wow, it just seems like quality care is really under-priced there. And under-valued by parents. People who care for kids DESERVE more pay, my poorly-put point.
Kaddidle Care 06:37 PM 05-31-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:

I'm from NannyDe's generation and ya - we walked to and from School.. oooh - sometimes in the RAIN! (shudders) I had the cutest rain outfit and who remembers the umbrellas that came all the way down over your shoulders and you looked THROUGH them?

I've seen kids come to Daycare with a Hershey Bar for breakfast. Awesome parents!

And no, parents, fruit bites are not in the healthy food category even if it says Vitamin C on it!

I admit that I fail on occasion with breakfast with my youngest. Just getting calories in him is tough sometimes so we go unconventional. Pizza, TV Dinners, Apple with Peanut Butter. There is the occasional donut and I make him drink milk with it because at least the milk is good.

We have good breakfasts too.
Some parents don't realize that it only takes a minute to microwave an egg! Pop the toast in the toaster before you do the egg, add some strawberries to the plate and something to drink. Voila! Breakfast!
Baked Bean sandwiches are good too - sorry Daycare providers for the end result!

Here's some unconventional breakfasts (I don't agree with the ice cream one though.)
http://www.infobarrel.com/Unconventi...fasts_for_Kids
This one is neat too (except the hummus - can you imagine the garlic breath first thing in the AM?)
http://www.fitwoman.com/blog/healthy...nal-breakfasts
Candyland 06:43 PM 05-31-2011

we rotated:

Oatmeal/toast/fruit and milk
pancakes, sausage, fruit and milk
french toast, bacon, fruit and milk
eggs/ hashbrowns, toast and milk
rice, fruit, toast, and milk
yum!!!!!!
WDW 07:10 PM 05-31-2011
Originally Posted by jen:
"Oh, she's just mad because I wouldn't give her any of MY breakfast this morning. I told her she could eat at your house. I'm paying for it."

mrs.meg 05:23 AM 06-01-2011
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
I'm sorry, that sounded snotty and I didn't mean for it to come out that way. What I should have said was: you probably deserve a higher rate, especially if you provide food at your expense. I had no idea that was a going rate in your area, I'm sorry. I'm sure you have a nice place and do nice things for the kids. But wow, it just seems like quality care is really under-priced there. And under-valued by parents. People who care for kids DESERVE more pay, my poorly-put point.
oh, it's okay! You are right, it is not enough money for what I do. I also am paying my daughter this summer to be my assistant. I only made $1600 profit last year! I know it is not really worth it, but every little bit helps.
cheerfuldom 07:18 AM 06-01-2011
some parents feel that their time is more valuable than doing menial work like serving breakfast. DCPs are considered hired help and one tiny step above a household servant. Obviously you have nothing better to do than feed their kids so they have time to do truly important stuff (in their mind).
nannyde 08:48 AM 06-01-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
some parents feel that their time is more valuable than doing menial work like serving breakfast. DCPs are considered hired help and one tiny step above a household servant. Obviously you have nothing better to do than feed their kids so they have time to do truly important stuff (in their mind).
I don't think that's it.

I think it's really simple.

They don't want to do the work of shopping for and stocking food, preparing a whole healthy meal, serving it, supervising it, and cleaning it up.

I don't think they want to do the work it takes to get up and get ready so that when the kid is up they are able to devote themselves to a healthy meal and the family time having the meal together.

I think most parents want to get the kid up out of bed at the very LAST possible second and get them from the house into the car as quickly as possible.

The car is a buckled in seat where the child is confined and easily managed.

Where the parent HAS to work is getting the child dressed, walking the kid from the house to the car, getting the kid buckled in, unbuckling the seat, and walking the child into day care.

When we see children having candy and treats it is for THESE times. The parent is trying to make the things they HAVE to do as easy as possible so they give candy and allow the kid to have stuff from home to bring to child care.

When you see a kid walking in with candy fruit snacks, five toys, and a sucky cup it is specifically for the easiest possible way for:

getting the child dressed (with diaper change)
walking the kid from the house to the car
getting the kid buckled in
unbuckling the seat
walking the child into day care.

When a provider has a kid arrive undressed in a night diaper it is to get rid of one of five of the "must do's".

I don't think the parent THINKS "I pay you to do that". I think the parent thingks "I don't want to do that".

You want to find a great day care parent? Find the ones who get up with their kids in the morning and make a healthy meal and eat along with their kids. That's one of the highest markers of a great parent in my book.
daycare 09:35 AM 06-01-2011
I don't think that's it.

I think it's really simple.

They don't want to do the work of shopping for and stocking food, preparing a whole healthy meal, serving it, supervising it, and cleaning it up.

I don't think they want to do the work it takes to get up and get ready so that when the kid is up they are able to devote themselves to a healthy meal and the family time having the meal together.

I think most parents want to get the kid up out of bed at the very LAST possible second and get them from the house into the car as quickly as possible.

The car is a buckled in seat where the child is confined and easily managed.

Where the parent HAS to work is getting the child dressed, walking the kid from the house to the car, getting the kid buckled in, unbuckling the seat, and walking the child into day care.

When we see children having candy and treats it is for THESE times. The parent is trying to make the things they HAVE to do as easy as possible so they give candy and allow the kid to have stuff from home to bring to child care.

When you see a kid walking in with candy fruit snacks, five toys, and a sucky cup it is specifically for the easiest possible way for:

getting the child dressed (with diaper change)
walking the kid from the house to the car
getting the kid buckled in
unbuckling the seat
walking the child into day care.

When a provider has a kid arrive undressed in a night diaper it is to get rid of one of five of the "must do's".

I don't think the parent THINKS "I pay you to do that". I think the parent thingks "I don't want to do that".

You want to find a great day care parent? Find the ones who get up with their kids in the morning and make a healthy meal and eat along with their kids. That's one of the highest markers of a great parent in my book.
Like I said, I think parents have too many options these days and always want the easiest option possible. The less they have to do, the happier they are.
I went to a comedy show about 3 months ago. the comic was about 25years old (male)
He had the funniest standup about kids.

His story line was based on how easy it is to have kids these days, as you have gidgest and gadgest for everything to keep them busy.

I dont recall all of it, other than a lot of cursing. But basically he was saying that he was goign to have about 20 kids becuase it's so easy to just let them wake up, eat junk from a box while sitting in front of the TV. When it's time to go to school, you hand them your ipod so they can watch tv on the way to the car. Once you get in the car you turn on your dvd player for the kids to watch, until you arrive. You give them some more junk from a box or a box drink and then you stop and toss.
Repeat again when you get them from school. His only thing he said that was holding him back from having these 20 kids was that he was waiting until there was a way for them to change thier own diapers and wipe thier own behinds.

It was much more funny in person..... I wish I could have a video of it, as all of you would be on the floor laughing in stiches. All of what he said was the truth.
mrs.meg 09:50 AM 06-01-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
basically he was saying that he was goign to have about 20 kids becuase it's so easy to just let them wake up, eat junk from a box while sitting in front of the TV. When it's time to go to school, you hand them your ipod so they can watch tv on the way to the car. Once you get in the car you turn on your dvd player for the kids to watch, until you arrive. You give them some more junk from a box or a box drink and then you stop and toss.
Repeat again when you get them from school. His only thing he said that was holding him back from having these 20 kids was that he was waiting until there was a way for them to change thier own diapers and wipe thier own behinds.

It was much more funny in person..... I wish I could have a video of it, as all of you would be on the floor laughing in stiches. All of what he said was the truth.
That is funny!
Sugar Magnolia 10:55 AM 06-01-2011
oh, it's okay! You are right, it is not enough money for what I do. I also am paying my daughter this summer to be my assistant. I only made $1600 profit last year! I know it is not really worth it, but every little bit helps.
I know this was originally about breakfast, but how can we get you more money? Can I ask some questions? Ok, so you charge $15 a day per child...that's $75 a week. And you provide morning snack, lunch and afternoon snack? I know NOTHING about the food reimbursement program, but do you participate? If not, I'm sure someone here can advise you. If you do not participate, you should NOT provide any food at all. Have parents do breakfast at home, assign each parent a "snack day", and each child brings lunch. Even if you bought the CHEAPEST food, you are still spending at least $3 a day per child right?
So you are not licensed then? Maybe if you were, you could charge a higher rate? Are you sure its really the going rate? Maybe you can send a friend to spy, errr I mean "tour" another home daycare and see how they measure up to you. If you have a nicer home, better activities, better toys, books, etc, you can comfortably charge more. Do you have kids of your own? Maybe when they go off to Kindergarten, you can have more paying clients. How many kids do you have now?
I know its not my business, but I just feel like like crying to see your post that you only made $1600 profit last year. Ouch. I wish I could help....this does not seem fair to you. All that hard work.... But I would definately NOT provide ANY food if you're not on government reimbursement. That's just not right. Or charge and extra $5 a day for food, at least. This reply was probably not very helpful, I'm sorry.
Unregistered 11:14 AM 06-01-2011
I understand why your not serving breakfast at $15/day, thats way to low........but I disagree that kids wont eat anything, there to picky. and if they don't eat what you serve who cares, they can be hungry.....

I cook hot breakfast every morning, Mon-Oatmeal(whole oats cooked on stove, not instant) TUE-home made pancakes/french toast/or waffles, WED- Scrambled eggs, THUR-Malt-o-meal, FRI-Homemade bread item(banana or something) Most kids that start that are older have a hard time with the oatmeal and malt o meal, but eventually I find a way they like to eat it, by trying different fruits, rasins, peanut butter, and eventually they all eat it, I have never had a child ask me for a pop tart, and I know I have some that get them, they know what I serve is what they get, they don't have to eat it, but they get nothing else, theres also always a fruit involved and usually one more thing, but thats it, today for lunch I made chicken breast with an olive oil pasta, half ate it up, half didn't really touch it, but not one COMPLAINT, I really think you just have to let them know, I'm just suprised that you say, no one will eat anything all they want is crap, their so picky.....I have never had a child ask me for something else, and why do you care so much if they don't eat it, I always make them try at least one bite, thats all I ask, and no one ever has founght me on that,
mrs.meg 11:28 AM 06-01-2011
It's okay, thank you for being so thoughtful. I do have my own children, 5 girls.

I actually got into this temporarily, but it has been off and on for 6 years. I have stuck with it for the last 3 years. You have good suggestions, but just cutting out breakfast has been difficult for them. I am hopefully going back to work after the summer is over. I called a licensed provider today to ask about caring for my youngest when I do go back to work and she only charges $90/week with a license and daycare is the same.There was only ONE licensed home daycare provider in my county!
I don't want to work full-time, though, so it might be a trick finding a center or home provider to do part-time care, but I have 3 months and am hoping I can find someone!
momma2girls 01:15 PM 06-01-2011
I quit serving breakfast about 4 yrs. ago. I start at 7:30am.
I had older children, that were very picky, didn't eat, etc..
I had something different everyday.
One day really was a strike out for me. A Father came and said to me"you will serve my children breakfast here, whether they waste it or not" That was the last straw- I quit it the next day, with a week notice.
I serve an am snack every am around 9:00 and we eat between 11 and 11:30
I am so happy, to be not serving breakfast any longer.
It was way too much anyways. I have my own school aged children, plus daycare before school, who has time to make breakfast? I would start it about 8:30 every am-
Sugar Magnolia 04:13 PM 06-01-2011
Wow 5 girls! Awesome!

Well if you're returning to work in a couple months, no need to go through a painful meal policy change at this point. But IF you stay in daycare, I'd definately consider axing meals. In that case, just do it, the parents WILL survive and get over it eventually. "Due to the rising cost of food, we will no longer be providing meals. Children must pack a lunch and parents will provide a group snack once a week."
OR "due to the rising costs of food, my tuition is now $20 per day per child"
.... I called a licensed provider today to ask about caring for my youngest when I do go back to work and she only charges $90/week with a license and daycare is the same.There was only ONE licensed home daycare provider in my county!
I see a possible opportunity here. Only 1 licensed home day care in the whole county?! If she's the ONLY competition....you could probably get 100 a week. Is becoming licensed very difficult in your state?

But it sounds like you're ready to go back to work, so I hope that goes very well for you too and is more financially beneficial to you.
mrs.meg 06:33 PM 06-01-2011
I looked into getting licensed a while back, and it didn't look too painful. Just would take some time.

I think I am ready to go back to work. I seem to be going through some things emotionally and child care is very demanding and stressful. I am kind of grumpy and I just do not enjoy myself like I used to. I am not sure if it is where I am getting older now, or just probably burned out. I go to school part-time, and I really don't get much breaks from kids. I don't have much support for that, so it makes it hard. I feel like I work 24/7. It is not good when your kids feel like work.

Working probably will not be much more financially beneficial by the time I pay someone to watch my kids, but it really is not about money at this point. I am working to get into nursing school, someday....
Unregistered 08:09 PM 06-01-2011
Gave us a hard time when I wanted to have breakfast with him and bring him after....Oh well! We do yoghurt every morning, sometimes toast, and cinnamon life cereal.

Ask parents if they really need the kiddos to eat at your house - are they willing to provide foods?

I am agreeing with the others about seeing an opportunity, and considering a rate increase. If you are setting an end date already, good luck with the leap! But if you are considering making things better - I suggest asking parents to kick in - either food or a rate increase. Put out the word that you are not making even - and you need some help, are open to donations, whatever. See what you get? Oh yeah - no honey buns unless its a group project the day before!
momma2girls 07:14 AM 06-02-2011
WHen I was providing/making breakfast every am, I wouldn't be able to start it, until all the school children, inc. my own were out the door. This would be around 8:30-8:45 am every am. I have snack time between 9 and 9:30, and dinner between 11- 11:30. So to me it was just a waste, and the children alot of times wouldn't eat, etc.... so I resorted to only an am snack, and it went much better.
Cat Herder 10:45 AM 06-02-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Gave us a hard time when I wanted to have breakfast with him and bring him after....Oh well! We do yoghurt every morning, sometimes toast, and cinnamon life cereal.
I am curious.

Was this about your having breakfast with your son or wanting to drop off after the designated cut off period in the mornings???

I have never heard of anyone complaining about one less mouth to feed and clean up after....

What was their reasoning....
Tags:breakfast, vent
Reply Up