Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 09-07-2011, 06:21 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default How Far Do You Go To Meet a Child’s Needs?

Ok so some of this might sound like a vent, but really what I am asking is how far do you go to make a child happy and meet thier individual needs.
What are the special things that you do to make a child happy, even though you don't do it for others

Example:
I have two sisters that won't drink thier milk unless I heat it up

I have one child that if any of his food is touching another food he wont eat anything, so I bought him a plate with little sections.

I have one child who will not sleep without a fan on her during nap time. DOn't worry, it's way out of reach of fingers.

Oh the list goes on......

Even though this is group care and I really try to avoid not doing things as a group, there are just some things that I have to do and won't battle......lol
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-07-2011, 06:34 PM
Michelle's Avatar
Michelle Michelle is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Southern California
Posts: 1,683
Default

Well, as long as it's not costing you money or hurting someone else, why not do these things? that's what makes us stand out from centers .
They demand cookie cutter kids, we give a lot of individual attention and love.
Good job! These kids will always love you and remember these things you do for them.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-07-2011, 06:53 PM
PitterPatter's Avatar
PitterPatter PitterPatter is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
Ok so some of this might sound like a vent, but really what I am asking is how far do you go to make a child happy and meet thier individual needs.
What are the special things that you do to make a child happy, even though you don't do it for others

Example:
I have two sisters that won't drink thier milk unless I heat it up

I have one child that if any of his food is touching another food he wont eat anything, so I bought him a plate with little sections.

I have one child who will not sleep without a fan on her during nap time. DOn't worry, it's way out of reach of fingers.

Oh the list goes on......

Even though this is group care and I really try to avoid not doing things as a group, there are just some things that I have to do and won't battle......lol
I will bend for a child. It just depends on if it is a need, appreciated want or just a spolied want. Like when I run out of ketchup 1 DCB would get super mad and refuse to eat and throw his fries. Sorry no special trips for you. BUT when I ran out of applesauce in the past to go with banana fritters I hurry and ran a couple apples thru the processer because I know they like it with the fritters. At lunch I ran out of parm cheese for the salad so I had my Mom make a run to the store when she stopped by. If we usually have something and I run out or forget I do my best to make it right.

1 DCG couldn't pee on the potty without running water so I had water running for 5 minutes at a time every time she went. BUT she was really trying and it worked so it was worth it.

1 DCB wasn't fed properly at home so I always sent fresh foods and extra goodies home with him.

A couple yrs ago youngin I used to have had to rub and twist my hair to go to sleep so I held him on my lap and let him do that even tho it was very knotted afterwards lol.

A couple children don't have much so I give them more gift wise than I do the other kids (the others don't know of course)

1 DCB had to have a certain show on 1st thing in the morning when he arrived or he couldn't function. It was 1 of those irritating shows too! BUT it was either that or he cried and screamed for an hour he just couldn't function. (ok so maybe that was for my sanity as well )

As long as child is kind and respectful I will do almost anything for them but if they just want something and are rude about it or demanding then they don't get it.

I think it's the little extra things that count with kids. It doesn't take much for them to know we really care for them!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-07-2011, 07:10 PM
Hunni Bee's Avatar
Hunni Bee Hunni Bee is offline
False Sense Of Authority
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Over the Rainbow...
Posts: 2,320
Default

One of my now five-year-olds could not sleep unless I more or less laid on her mat with her, when she was three.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-07-2011, 07:16 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee View Post
One of my now five-year-olds could not sleep unless I more or less laid on her mat with her, when she was three.
Oh my gosh this is so sweet. I woner how my son will do when he leaves the nest for preschool as we still co-sleep......I hope he has someone like you......
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-07-2011, 07:33 PM
Hunni Bee's Avatar
Hunni Bee Hunni Bee is offline
False Sense Of Authority
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Over the Rainbow...
Posts: 2,320
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by daycare View Post
Oh my gosh this is so sweet. I woner how my son will do when he leaves the nest for preschool as we still co-sleep......I hope he has someone like you......

I finally figured out that most of my kids still co-sleep, with either parents or brothers/sisters. I don't have anybody that needs to "co-nap" right now, but I always lie on the floor where they can all see me until everybody nods off. Some of them still need a hand on their back or head on certain days
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-07-2011, 07:36 PM
cheerfuldom's Avatar
cheerfuldom cheerfuldom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 7,414
Default

I will do any of the things you listed as long as it DOES make the child happy. None of the things is a big deal. As long as it isn't taking away from the other kids in any way and is within reason. For example, I would turn on a fan but I won't rock to sleep because the rocking leaves the other kids unattended.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-07-2011, 07:53 PM
sharlan's Avatar
sharlan sharlan is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino, California
Posts: 6,040
Default

I try really hard to meet each child's individual needs.

I still peel apples and cut crusts off of bread. (Makes my dd's mad because they always had to eat their peels and crusts.)

1 guy I have now doesn't like butter, so no butter on his pancakes or waffles. He also only drinks water, so no milk or juice when everybody else is.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-07-2011, 08:02 PM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharlan View Post
I try really hard to meet each child's individual needs.

I still peel apples and cut crusts off of bread. (Makes my dd's mad because they always had to eat their peels and crusts.)

1 guy I have now doesn't like butter, so no butter on his pancakes or waffles. He also only drinks water, so no milk or juice when everybody else is.
hhahaha that is so funny that your DD noticed that you are doing it for the kids..

I also cut off crust, but I don't really serve too many sandwhiches as I have two kids allergic to peanuts and one allergice to mayo....

thats cute
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 09-07-2011, 08:04 PM
sharlan's Avatar
sharlan sharlan is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Chino, California
Posts: 6,040
Default

Yeah, they notice a lot of things I do differently from when they were little. I've mellowed in my old age.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-08-2011, 05:07 AM
Solandia's Avatar
Solandia Solandia is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 372
Default

I sit next to one little guy to sleep. Another loves to have be rubbed right behind his ears...falls asleep within 2-3 minutes. One had to have her arms rubbed. One needed to rub my ear to fall asleep. I do rock new babies to sleep, until they are trained to fall asleep by themselves. BUT everyone is in the same room, and the rocker is in the sleeping area.

I don't peel apples once they are over 2yo, they can eat around the peel (apple slices), same with crust on bread and toast.

I use sectioned plates anyway. ALL the kids eat much better eating things not combined (so we do not do many chili's, stews, casseroles). I try to do more meat & grain in the big section, a veggie in one, and fruit in another. **It really helps with nutrition training with the kids of all ages. Easy to eyeball serving sizes accurately, etc.

I will leave sauce off the pasta for some kids. I actually prefer it that way, less messy, LOL>
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-08-2011, 07:05 AM
blessedmess8's Avatar
blessedmess8 blessedmess8 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 231
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee View Post
I finally figured out that most of my kids still co-sleep, with either parents or brothers/sisters. I don't have anybody that needs to "co-nap" right now, but I always lie on the floor where they can all see me until everybody nods off. Some of them still need a hand on their back or head on certain days
Awwwww. Love it! This is what child care is all about!
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-08-2011, 07:39 AM
countrymom's Avatar
countrymom countrymom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: ontario canada
Posts: 4,756
Default

I do like to meet the childs needs, so yes, I warm milk, cut crust off, peel apples, I think thats what a home is, that nice feeling, all children are different just because it works for one doesn't work for the others. I have a little girl who I do her hair everyday, I even give the kids extra snacks before its time.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-08-2011, 08:47 AM
PitterPatter's Avatar
PitterPatter PitterPatter is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom View Post
I will do any of the things you listed as long as it DOES make the child happy. None of the things is a big deal. As long as it isn't taking away from the other kids in any way and is within reason. For example, I would turn on a fan but I won't rock to sleep because the rocking leaves the other kids unattended.
I rocked a child (that twisted my hair) but I didn't leave others unattended. They were in the same room with me right in my sight as I rocked the other child so I don't understand what that means.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-08-2011, 08:57 AM
bgmeyers's Avatar
bgmeyers bgmeyers is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: US
Posts: 136
Default

I try to think of how I would like my child to be treated if they were away from me all day. The things listed here are just little things that can make a child's day easier and really don't take that much time or effort. They just show that you care for them as individuals.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-08-2011, 10:36 AM
morgan24's Avatar
morgan24 morgan24 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Just around the river bend
Posts: 694
Default

I do lots of the little things, I heat my new little guys blanket in the dryer, he goes to sleep really fast with a warmed up blanket. I do it because happy kids means a happy me.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Kaddidle Care's Avatar
Kaddidle Care Kaddidle Care is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: USA
Posts: 2,085
Default

Oooh that must be so nice! I used to do that with #1 son's towels so when he got out of the bath/shower it was nice and warm for him. That's such a comforting thing - like a continual hug.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-08-2011, 02:40 PM
PitterPatter's Avatar
PitterPatter PitterPatter is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 1,500
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaddidle Care View Post
Oooh that must be so nice! I used to do that with #1 son's towels so when he got out of the bath/shower it was nice and warm for him. That's such a comforting thing - like a continual hug.
They are wonderful and enjoy them while they are free because the hospital charges $50 for a warmed up blankie!!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
needy, vent

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1st Meet And Greet(Possible Interview) On Tuesday... Fruitloops1 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 6 07-30-2012 10:11 AM
So Excited! I Meet The Family Tomorrow! Abigail Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 9 11-09-2010 01:48 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:18 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming