Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:53 PM
Nature Lover

Default Ideas for April Sensory Bin

Help, need ideas for sensory bins for April.

I was thinking April showers but thats as far as I have gotten.

I'm doing flowers for May and found lots of things for that but really stuck on April. If they had only left Easter in April!
Old 03-29-2013, 07:05 PM
Unregistered

hmmm

bird theme - fake birds, nests, eggs, stuff to make nests, birdseed ?
baby animals spring theme
green rice or colouful confetti and insects
to go with rain theme- mud puddles - maybe fake mud or chocolate playdoh
Old 03-29-2013, 07:12 PM
Unregistered

lots of ideas here too:

http://countingcoconuts.blogspot.ca/...Sensory%20Tubs
Old 03-29-2013, 07:34 PM
Daycare.com Member

Rain, rainbows.. I did a rainbow bin this past month if you look at my fb page.
Water with funnels etc you could add shaving cream to be the clouds.
Maybe flowers and foam cut out raindrops.
Old 03-29-2013, 07:44 PM
Provider in Training

You can do a spring theme like grass/hay/alfalfa/moss (real or fake), dew drop beads (those little liquid balls they have at the dollar store for flower arrangements), smooth pebbles, cotton clouds (or cotton candy), feathers/ faux fur, or pastel colored fabrics with different textures. also look at the birthstones- for April its diamonds so maybe you can get some fake diamonds and hide them in a sand box (kinda like an archeology dig) or something bejewled with fake diamonds (or rhinestones).

Maybe you can do something like something like april fools too (maybe a whoopy cushion or something)

Dew drop beads (they come in different colors):

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=clear...0&tx=130&ty=65

Birthstone chart:

http://www.timewellcorp.com/birthstones.htm
Old 03-29-2013, 08:57 PM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I would do weather themed
Old 03-29-2013, 11:10 PM
Chaos Coordinator :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
bird theme - fake birds, nests, eggs, stuff to make nests, birdseed
This is what I'm doing ^ Birdseed, eggs, twig garland (for a making bird nests), little birds, little bird houses

I'll probably start out the month with easter grass and then switch it out for the bird seed.

Next month I'm thinking of making a garden sensory box; Like this http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/diy-...ory-box-146017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Great ideas!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starburst View Post

Dew drop beads (they come in different colors):

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=clear...0&tx=130&ty=65
Water beads! Or water marbles if you go to craft warehouse. We do so much with these! My kids LOVE these! After we've had them out for awhile we have squishing party
Old 03-30-2013, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyss View Post
Water beads! Or water marbles if you go to craft warehouse. We do so much with these! My kids LOVE these! After we've had them out for awhile we have squishing party
I just filled my sensory bin with water beads only they are square! They look like ice cubes! I have plastic arctic animals in there as well so the kids think they are ice chunks!

I used mostly white or clear ones but added a few blue ones too!

In the past we have also done glow-the-dark-water beads too and those are a HUGE hit!

Last edited by Blackcat31; 10-12-2014 at 08:57 AM.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:41 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
I just filled my sensory bin with water beads only they are square! They look like ice cubes! I have plastic arctic animals in there as well so the kids think they are ice chunks!

In the past we have also done glow-the-dark-water beads too and those are a HUGE hit!
Cool!! Where did you find the square water beads? I would love to get some for when we do our winter theme.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:55 AM
Chaos Coordinator :)

Quote:

I love the artic idea!! That's great!

I've done the highlighter glow in the dark water beads method and its so fun!! They love it!
Old 03-30-2013, 12:13 PM

We're studying dinosaurs for now, so our April tub is going to be dinos. Haven't decided on a filler yet; but it may be more like a "small world" play then a sensory box. Or rocks.
Old 03-30-2013, 04:25 PM
Daycare.com Member

Mine is a desert theme this month, so I have sand, desert animals, I made small cacti with pipe cleaners (didn't think the real one was very safe) moss rolled into balls (tumbleweeds) and rocks of varying size/shapes/colors. Not my 'best' box idea, but desert theme was tricky!

Looks kind of like this:

http://pinterest.com/pin/36873290669751033/
Old 03-31-2013, 05:30 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25 View Post
We're studying dinosaurs for now, so our April tub is going to be dinos. Haven't decided on a filler yet; but it may be more like a "small world" play then a sensory box. Or rocks.
I put beans in my dino bin and they loved it. They look like little rocks but they pour well.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snbauser View Post
Cool!! Where did you find the square water beads? I would love to get some for when we do our winter theme.
I found them at Hobby Lobby. They came in all the colors that the regular beads do.

I think you can buy them on-line too here: http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html;jse...d=271110184111

Funny how just changing the shape makes more fun!!
Old 03-31-2013, 10:45 AM
Tantrum Negotiator

Quote:
I found them at Hobby Lobby. They came in all the colors that the regular beads do.

I think you can buy them on-line too here: http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html;jse...d=271110184111

Funny how just changing the shape makes more fun!!
We just got our first Hobby Lobby here a few weeks ago. I was in a hurry to find St. Patty's Day hats so I didn't have time to really browse but it looks like they have a lot of great items in there. Planning a trip this week though.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamac View Post
We just got our first Hobby Lobby here a few weeks ago. I was in a hurry to find St. Patty's Day hats so I didn't have time to really browse but it looks like they have a lot of great items in there. Planning a trip this week though.
Oh my! Don't even get me started!!!

Our Hobby Lobby just opened too and although I have been a huge fan of Michael's Crafts for a long time, I about died when I went into Hobby Lobby!!!

I cannot believe how much stuff they have!!

And the best part....there is tons of "guy stuff" too so whenever I want to go in there, my DH is ok with it too!

Usually, he follows me around Michael's saying "are you done yet?" but I actually lost him in Hobby Lobby so that's a huge plus!!!

They have a mobile app for their weekly deal too and all you have to do it show it to the cashier. Last week it was 40% off anything in the store.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:18 PM
Provider in Training

I just realized earth day is April 22, you can also try to do an earth day theme like nature or recycle materials like leaves, dirt/mud, sand, paper, cardboard, and alum cans.
Old 04-02-2013, 05:21 PM
Nature Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starburst View Post
I just realized earth day is April 22, you can also try to do an earth day theme like nature or recycle materials like leaves, dirt/mud, sand, paper, cardboard, and alum cans.
Great Idea-

Tags
activities, sensory, sensory bins