Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Breakfast
Unregistered 07:34 AM 09-12-2013
All my kids get here about 7:45. Breakfast has never been an issue until school started. The bus gets here at 8:00 and take about 7 minutes to get to the bus stop. So we don't have time for breakfast until we get back once the food is ready it is about 8:30 and snack is at 9! The kids arrive hungry. (SA eats breakfast at school) Even if food is ready for them when they get here they don't have enough time to eat. I have in my contract that I provide breakfast. Is that something I can change, how much notice do I have to give? How do I go about asking them to feed them something before drop off. I wouldn't mind moving snack up if they are eating earlier. WWYD?
Blackcat31 07:39 AM 09-12-2013
I don't serve breakfast. I require ALL kids to have eaten before arrival. Having breakfast on the parents clock provides the parent a wonderful opportunity to have some quality face time with their child in the morning as well as gives the parent time to do a morning assessment of their child...in case they are sick or whatever before dropping off.

Once all my daycare kids have arrived, I do a mid morning snack that has ALL the components of breakfast.

A majority of my daycare kids eat very little or nothing for breakfast anyways so moving the time back to 9:00 works wonderful for me (and them).

I would tell all your families of the change beginning next week.... I really don't think this is something that warrants a big notice period. I mean we eat everyday so there isn't a lot of rearranging to do to accommodate your child before dropping them off at daycare.
Shell 10:21 AM 09-12-2013
Great question- I have been contemplating the same thing. I'm wondering if I stop serving breakfast, because it's in my contract, should I reimburse the parents for the meal that they are no longer receiving? I think the standard deduction is $1.70 or so this year, so I was thinking of deducting it from the weekly pay???
Blackcat31 10:23 AM 09-12-2013
Originally Posted by mrsmichelle:
Great question- I have been contemplating the same thing. I'm wondering if I stop serving breakfast, because it's in my contract, should I reimburse the parents for the meal that they are no longer receiving? I think the standard deduction is $1.70 or so this year, so I was thinking of deducting it from the weekly pay???
Since I still include the required components of breakfast, I just call it snack for the parent's sake and breakfast for the food program.

My meals/snacks times look like this

9:00 am breakfast (snack for parents)
12:00 pm lunch
3:30 pm afternoon snack
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:24 AM 09-12-2013
I wouldn't do breakfast and snack in that time period (we have to have 2 hrs in between on the food program) I would notify parents that due to conflicts with the bus schedule, starting next week the children will be receiving a healthy snack instead of breakfast at 8:45 and that they will need to feed their children prior to arrival so they are not starving. If they don't feed them, your still giving them the snack at the same time they were getting breakfast. If you find that most are feeding them breakfast, then move it back to 9.
itlw8 01:25 PM 09-12-2013
Yes you can change and no you do not reimburse them for the change.

Dear parents due to the short time between childrens arrival and the bus coming we will not eat breakfast until 8:30. The children are starving by then so please feed them a healthy meal before coming in the morning
LaLa1923 01:48 PM 09-12-2013
I would probably have breakfast all ready in the morning and just heat and serve as soon as you come in. Otherwise, you may run into the problem of them having nothing but junk, eating in the car, or trying to bring stuff in.

But then again, They come late so I'd have the parents feed them breakfast.
Leigh 02:06 PM 09-12-2013
Black Cat's idea of serving breakfast as snack is a great one. I feel breakfast every morning at 8:30, lunch at 11:30. We have a lot of kids "at nutritional risk" in our area, and I feel better knowing that they got a healthy breakfast to fuel their day. Plenty of kids tell me that they had a cookie for breakfast at home, or Lucky Charms, or a donut. Those things are fine every now and then, but a good breakfast makes a good kid, IMO. Nothing wrong with asking the kids to arrive fed, but that feeding is quite likely to be a Pop-Tart in the car on the way to your home.
Blackcat31 02:48 PM 09-12-2013
Originally Posted by Leigh:
Black Cat's idea of serving breakfast as snack is a great one. I feel breakfast every morning at 8:30, lunch at 11:30. We have a lot of kids "at nutritional risk" in our area, and I feel better knowing that they got a healthy breakfast to fuel their day. Plenty of kids tell me that they had a cookie for breakfast at home, or Lucky Charms, or a donut. Those things are fine every now and then, but a good breakfast makes a good kid, IMO. Nothing wrong with asking the kids to arrive fed, but that feeding is quite likely to be a Pop-Tart in the car on the way to your home.
Which is exactly why I do what I do. Most my kids eat crap for breakfast but what they do eat on the way, is just enough to tide them over so I can feed them a good hearty breakfast ALL at once....no 7:30 arrivals wanting to eat again when the 8:30 kids arrive.

Just one BIG hearty breakfast for everyone. Works great!
Lil'DinoEggs 10:19 PM 09-12-2013
I just did this myself. I have one infant that comes in at seven. My part timers come in at 8 and my other full time anytime between 8-10. I got tired of rushing at 8 and making a whole meal no one ate anyway. Plus, my kids are used to waking up and eating right away so they were either fussy until breakfast or I made two breakfasts. So I changed it to 730 am. I just created a contract amendment with the title (for contract signed before such n such date) and had all the parents sign it. Then I changed the time in my contract. Guess what? The parents didn't care.
Tags:breakfast
Reply Up