Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Correct Me Please If I Am Wrong...(Vehicles)
Punkin.Butts 07:09 AM 12-28-2013
Once we decided to open a daycare, the first step for us was to trade in our 4 seater mustang and upgrade to a 6 passenger Flex.
We opened a month later.
I can still use my sales tax, lisc. fees and interest on the payment as a deduction correct?

I am using the standard mileage because it is shared between business and personal and since we've only had it six months, we haven't had to do any maintenance on it yet and i didnt save fuel receipts

My second vehicle is my husbands. It only gets driven when we have all the kids together and need to go somewhere because we have 7 kiddos (daycare and own) and 2 adults.. so he will drive his car with kiddos and I will drive mine. He has OUR kids in his car. BUT he wouldn't be driving his car if mine wasnt full of daycare kids because we would have rode together like we always do. So is his mileage a daycare expense?
TomCopeland 09:05 AM 12-28-2013
Originally Posted by Punkin.Butts:
Once we decided to open a daycare, the first step for us was to trade in our 4 seater mustang and upgrade to a 6 passenger Flex.
We opened a month later.
I can still use my sales tax, lisc. fees and interest on the payment as a deduction correct?

I am using the standard mileage because it is shared between business and personal and since we've only had it six months, we haven't had to do any maintenance on it yet and i didnt save fuel receipts

My second vehicle is my husbands. It only gets driven when we have all the kids together and need to go somewhere because we have 7 kiddos (daycare and own) and 2 adults.. so he will drive his car with kiddos and I will drive mine. He has OUR kids in his car. BUT he wouldn't be driving his car if mine wasnt full of daycare kids because we would have rode together like we always do. So is his mileage a daycare expense?
On your Flex car, if you use the standard mileage rate you can only deduct the business portion of car loan interest, mileage ($.565 in 2013) and any parking, tolls and the business portion of car property tax. If you use the actual expenses method you can claim the business portion of all the actual expenses of operating the car, including depreciation on the value of the car.

If your husband's car is only being used to transport your own children (on business trips where your daycare children are being transported by you) you can't claim any car expenses for his car. That's because only your children are being transported. It's true that he wouldn't be on the road except for the fact that you are in business, but it's still personal use of the car.
Punkin.Butts 07:05 PM 12-28-2013
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
On your Flex car, if you use the standard mileage rate you can only deduct the business portion of car loan interest, mileage ($.565 in 2013) and any parking, tolls and the business portion of car property tax. If you use the actual expenses method you can claim the business portion of all the actual expenses of operating the car, including depreciation on the value of the car.

If your husband's car is only being used to transport your own children (on business trips where your daycare children are being transported by you) you can't claim any car expenses for his car. That's because only your children are being transported. It's true that he wouldn't be on the road except for the fact that you are in business, but it's still personal use of the car.

Ok, so if I decided to you "actual" expense.. I have the business portion of the car loan interest, property taxes, lisc. fees, sales tax, fuel, maintenance deprectiation of vehicle AND mileage.. or can't count mileage?

as for hubby's car, next year.. Ill be sending at least A daycare kiddo with him so we can count it.. maybe the daycare kid that doesn't require a 5 point harness and my oldest who doesn't either..then I'd be able to claim his vehicle and expenses just the same as mine correct?
TomCopeland 07:56 AM 12-29-2013
Originally Posted by Punkin.Butts:
Ok, so if I decided to you "actual" expense.. I have the business portion of the car loan interest, property taxes, lisc. fees, sales tax, fuel, maintenance deprectiation of vehicle AND mileage.. or can't count mileage?

as for hubby's car, next year.. Ill be sending at least A daycare kiddo with him so we can count it.. maybe the daycare kid that doesn't require a 5 point harness and my oldest who doesn't either..then I'd be able to claim his vehicle and expenses just the same as mine correct?
When you use the actual expenses method you cannot count mileage. Yes, once a day care child is in your husband's car on a business trip, you can count this as a business trip.
Reply Up