Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>How Many Additional Off Hours Do You Claim
daycare 08:42 AM 12-31-2013
I was not too sure where to post this question, but I was wondering what the average is that people claim in their T/S % for additional hours.

I run a preschool program and have found that I am working way too much,or at least so it feels. I am working almost an additional 20-25 hours a week and this is when children are not present.

I am worried that the IRS may see this as too much.

Wondering if we can set up a poll to see the average .... One would think that I can set up a poll, I still have not figured out how....lol
MarinaVanessa 08:46 AM 12-31-2013
I average about that much on a typical week. More in Dec, Jan and Feb when I work on tax stuff and redo contracts and handbooks etc. I do a lot of my house cleaning and laundry during the day so at the end of the day all I have is DC stuff to clean up and that way I can claim that time.
Cradle2crayons 09:05 AM 12-31-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
I was not too sure where to post this question, but I was wondering what the average is that people claim in their T/S % for additional hours.

I run a preschool program and have found that I am working way too much,or at least so it feels. I am working almost an additional 20-25 hours a week and this is when children are not present.

Wondering if we can set up a poll to see the average .... One would think that I can set up a poll, I still have not figured out how....lol
That doesn't seem too high... Mine is adding up to about 90-100 hours a month on average because some days I have kids here for parts of two shifts... So your numbers seem fairly accurate to me. If anything I could see them being a little higher than that.
daycare 09:05 AM 12-31-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I average about that much on a typical week. More in Dec, Jan and Feb when I work on tax stuff and redo contracts and handbooks etc. I do a lot of my house cleaning and laundry during the day so at the end of the day all I have is DC stuff to clean up and that way I can claim that time.
thats good to hear. I have been writing my own curriculum and doing a blog on our preschool program. I am finding myself working in front of the tv at 11pm cutting out stuff for us to use. the month of december has been almost 30 additional hours......
TomCopeland 10:28 AM 12-31-2013

A Wheelock College report many years ago found that providers worked 13.9 hours per week after children were gone.

Don't worry about how high your number is. Just make sure you have records to support your number. Here's a video I did on this point for those providers using Minute Menu Kids Pro:http://youtu.be/RzMsnJEBvik
MarinaVanessa 11:40 AM 12-31-2013
thats good to hear. I have been writing my own curriculum and doing a blog on our preschool program. I am finding myself working in front of the tv at 11pm cutting out stuff for us to use. the month of december has been almost 30 additional hours......
Yep, me too. I can easily spend 6 hours a month on planning alone. That's JUST planning, not cutting, preparing setting up etc. for the curriculum. That's an easy extra 4-6 hours a month. Plus you add the website updating, toy cleaning, bathroom cleaning, food prep, toy rotating etc. It adds up. Then there's daily record keeping like attendance, payments, meals, expenses etc. There's a lot to do!

I just have a planner that fits in my purse and I carry that around everywhere. I write down attendance, appointments, mileage and the DC stuff I do when the kids aren't here. A typical day for me looks like this:

6:30am-7am: set up for DC
6pm-6:45pm: clean up; vacuum, put toys away, clean mouthed toys, sanitize counters and tabletops.
9:00pm-9:15pm: Put out curriculum material for tomorrow

That's just weekday stuff. On the weekends I plan/cut curriculum, sanitize all toys, wash DC linens etc.
daycare 12:50 PM 12-31-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Yep, me too. I can easily spend 6 hours a month on planning alone. That's JUST planning, not cutting, preparing setting up etc. for the curriculum. That's an easy extra 4-6 hours a month. Plus you add the website updating, toy cleaning, bathroom cleaning, food prep, toy rotating etc. It adds up. Then there's daily record keeping like attendance, payments, meals, expenses etc. There's a lot to do!

I just have a planner that fits in my purse and I carry that around everywhere. I write down attendance, appointments, mileage and the DC stuff I do when the kids aren't here. A typical day for me looks like this:

6:30am-7am: set up for DC
6pm-6:45pm: clean up; vacuum, put toys away, clean mouthed toys, sanitize counters and tabletops.
9:00pm-9:15pm: Put out curriculum material for tomorrow

That's just weekday stuff. On the weekends I plan/cut curriculum, sanitize all toys, wash DC linens etc.
sounds like you and I are in the same boat with this kind of stuff. I feel like my life has been consumed by DC this past year... Frankly I am exhausted.
Tags:extra time, tom copeland
Reply Up