Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Breakfast
CraftyMom 06:30 AM 02-07-2014
Here's an odd question, do you feed breakfast to kids that you KNOW have had breakfast just before coming and the parents have stated so?
coolconfidentme 06:35 AM 02-07-2014
If they come at my scheduled breakfast time..., yes. I remind the parents their child will be included; it's meal time, not play time.
Cat Herder 06:40 AM 02-07-2014
I offer it, they decide.

Breakfast is made before arrival, so it does not cost me anything extra. Also if they had a high sugar/starch, low nutrient/protein choice (the norm ) they will be hungry (whiny, tired, crashing) before the rest of the group without it. Breakfast is like insurance for my morning.
jenboo 06:52 AM 02-07-2014
I offer it to them. Ill serve it if they want some, if they don't want any they still have to sit with us at the table.
mema 07:31 AM 02-07-2014
As long as they are here during breakfast time, I offer it. If they are full from home, they just say no.
SilverSabre25 07:48 AM 02-07-2014
I do breakfast later, around 9/9:30. Gets them through until lunch around noon
sharlan 07:55 AM 02-07-2014
I offer - they eat or they don't. If they choose to eat, then I expect them to eat and not play around.
daycarediva 08:01 AM 02-07-2014
Everyone has to sit at the table during meal times. They can choose not to eat, and I have coloring things set up for those kids who don't want to eat or finish early. Most often they at least eat fruit and yogurt (we have yogurt daily at breakfast).
CraftyMom 08:31 AM 02-07-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
Everyone has to sit at the table during meal times. They can choose not to eat, and I have coloring things set up for those kids who don't want to eat or finish early. Most often they at least eat fruit and yogurt (we have yogurt daily at breakfast).
Yogurt daily at breakfast is a great idea! Since all my dck's love it and it's great protein!
Leanna 09:37 AM 02-07-2014
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I offer it, they decide.

Breakfast is made before arrival, so it does not cost me anything extra. Also if they had a high sugar/starch, low nutrient/protein choice (the norm ) they will be hungry (whiny, tired, crashing) before the rest of the group without it. Breakfast is like insurance for my morning.
I don't want to hijack the thread but I am curious what protein you serve at breakfast? Also, are you on the food program?
TwinKristi 01:00 PM 02-07-2014
We don't have to serve a protein at breakfast so yogurt wouldn't be a reimbursable breakfast or AM snack food on the food program. I often serve a protein I can't claim with breakfast just because that's what we often do. Eggs, yogurt, sausage, etc. I heard it's supposed to be added at some point in the future.

Eta- But to answer the original question, yes I offer them breakfast even if they have had it at home otherwise they're asking for lunch at 10:30. I don't usually do an AM snack and do an early lunch (11:30) and PM snack (3pm) since we have way more kids after school.
itlw8 01:07 PM 02-07-2014
If they say they ate I ask what did they eat. then go from there. If they want t eat I ask them if they want a little or a lot. my kids are great at telling me if they are still hungry
Cat Herder 01:29 PM 02-07-2014
Originally Posted by Leanna:
I don't want to hijack the thread but I am curious what protein you serve at breakfast? Also, are you on the food program?
A few recent ones: Baked chicken biscuits, scrambled eggs w/ shredded cheese, vanilla yogurt w/granola, boiled eggs & string cheese sticks, whole oatmeal w/raisins & sunflower seeds, croissants filled w/ham&cheese, and Peanut butter & honey on whole wheat toast.

No food program for personal reasons. I have been on it in the past and follow/exceed all guidelines... I posted many menus in the menu forum if you'd like to peek. I may try to add some for this year...
e.j. 01:44 PM 02-07-2014
I serve more of a snack at 9:30 but since it meets all the components of breakfast on the food program, I was told I can claim it as breakfast. Some of the kids here have already eaten breakfast so for them, it's a snack. Others are late sleepers and have just woken up before they come here so it would be breakfast for them.

Either way, I offer the food and they decide if they're hungry or not. If they don't want to eat, they can go play. I rarely have a child who refuses to eat, though.
daycarediva 03:59 PM 02-07-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
Yogurt daily at breakfast is a great idea! Since all my dck's love it and it's great protein!
I REALLY think they need a protein at breakfast. Some of them eat grain-only dinners, so it makes breakfast a super important meal, too. I buy the giant tubs of vanilla and put them in tiny Dixie cups. Easy, too!

Cat Herder-I'm coming to have breakfast at your house(or lunch, or dinner, I've looked at your menus!) !!!
Tags:breakfast, breakfast - menu, nutrition
Reply Up