Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 08-07-2015, 07:39 AM

Default Breakfast is Boring

I can't even call it "in a rut" because it's been this way for years. I'm NOT a morning person and I don't like getting up and immediately cooking a fancy meal, and my kids rarely eat complicated things in the morning anyway.

I normally do:
Oatmeal
Scrambled eggs with cheese
Waffles (toasted frozen ones)
Yogurt and toast/bagel/English muffin
Cold cereal
Smoothie with bagel/toast/etc

While I use different bread and top oatmeal different ways, I just get bored. But I'm not interested in complicated things and I try to have a strong protein component as often as possible. Is there anything simple I'm missing that I could do? (No eggy-potatoy-type casseroles, I know they won't eat it). I would especially like to kick the cereal habit and switch that to an afternoon snack option instead.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25 View Post
I can't even call it "in a rut" because it's been this way for years. I'm NOT a morning person and I don't like getting up and immediately cooking a fancy meal, and my kids rarely eat complicated things in the morning anyway.

I normally do:
Oatmeal
Scrambled eggs with cheese
Waffles (toasted frozen ones)
Yogurt and toast/bagel/English muffin
Cold cereal
Smoothie with bagel/toast/etc

While I use different bread and top oatmeal different ways, I just get bored. But I'm not interested in complicated things and I try to have a strong protein component as often as possible. Is there anything simple I'm missing that I could do? (No eggy-potatoy-type casseroles, I know they won't eat it). I would especially like to kick the cereal habit and switch that to an afternoon snack option instead.
Go back to basics/not-a lot-of-cooking/prep involved type breakfasts...

Whole grain toast with sunbutter or almond butter
Whole grain bagels/English muffins (I add PNB or a slice of turkey or ham)
Hard boiled eggs (I keep a stash in the fridge at all times)
Yogurt with fresh fruit
Cereal Bars are always a hit here...
Cottage cheese with fresh fruit
Cheese sticks or shredded cheese melted inside a whole grain tortilla

My kiddos love when we take fresh fruit and add Cool Whip, and then roll it up in a whole grain tortilla. We've done peanut butter and sliced bananas too... also added mascarpone cheese with fresh berries.... the possibilities are endless in regards to what you can fill a tortilla with.....
Old 08-07-2015, 08:22 AM

I can't "go back" to basics, I'm already there!

Admittedly my breakfasts could be worse though. And I know that. Better than the chocolate milk and fruit snacks a 2 year old came in not too long ago.

Thanks for the ideas, BC, I'll try some out and see if I find something that goes over well.
Old 08-07-2015, 08:27 AM
Daycare.com Member

Hard boiled eggs with ham cubes and crackers
Tortilla with peanut butter and banana inside
Bagels with avocado and cream cheese spread
Muffins (you can make a big batch and freeze)
Old 08-07-2015, 10:57 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I've made breakfast cookies. Lots of recipes out there for these.

Banana bites (so easy, banana + oatmeal + currants)

Breakfast burritos (scrambled eggs, veggies for fillings, salsa, tortilla)

Muffins (blueberry-oatmeal are the favourite here)

Granola + yogurt + fruit

Oatmeal + toppings (fruit, raisins, nuts, maple syrup)
Old 08-07-2015, 11:18 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Go back to basics/not-a lot-of-cooking/prep involved type breakfasts...

Whole grain toast with sunbutter or almond butter
Whole grain bagels/English muffins (I add PNB or a slice of turkey or ham)
Hard boiled eggs (I keep a stash in the fridge at all times)
Yogurt with fresh fruit
Cereal Bars are always a hit here...
Cottage cheese with fresh fruit
Cheese sticks or shredded cheese melted inside a whole grain tortilla

My kiddos love when we take fresh fruit and add Cool Whip, and then roll it up in a whole grain tortilla. We've done peanut butter and sliced bananas too... also added mascarpone cheese with fresh berries.... the possibilities are endless in regards to what you can fill a tortilla with.....
What kind of cereal bars do you use? My kids love them, but its time consuming to make them & I struggle to find them premade w/o all the added junk.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:24 AM
Daycare.com Member

I have a shorter list
pb toast
organic o's
oatmeal
pancakes

usually a banana in there. This is what my kidos eat.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:42 AM
Daycare.com Member

I no longer do breakfast for the kids, so I can get away with boring. Same breakfast every day? Ok. In the summer, I like toast with peanut butter and sliced peaches on top. Sometimes I get into a granola groove--granola w/yogurt, or granola w/fresh fruit and milk. Again and again. I also like sandwiches--pbj on toast, or fried egg.
Old 08-07-2015, 12:23 PM
Daycare.com Member

I see peanut butter toast was already mentioned. Mine loved that. I love it with banana slices on top of it.
-You could also mix dry Cheerios w/raisins. It is something they can eat with their hands. I used to call it 'Trail Mix'. Add a cheese stick for protein.
-1/2 of a banana spread with peanut butter with a little wheat germ on top (can be a bit messy though)
-Cream of Wheat
-I have a recipe for healthy breakfast cookies if you want it. Most of the flour is replaced with dried milk, applesauce replaces eggs and they are oatmeal cookies. Only 1/4 c. sugar but I made them last week for me and that seemed too sweet. Could use less. Oh and they have raisins. They are healthy oatmeal raisin cookies.
-apple slices with peanut butter as a dip
-Cinnamon toast with a hard boiled egg. Not the most healthy but nice for a change.
-Scrambled eggs mixed with turkey breakfast sausage or real bacon chopped up. Can make bacon ahead the night before.
-Bisquick biscuits and applesauce with or without cinnamon.
-Those little Cutie Oranges (they love to peel them themselves) with French Toast.
-grapes and cheese sticks or little cubes of cheese

Laurel
Old 08-07-2015, 12:52 PM
Daycare.com Member

Deviled eggs add a little excitement with little extra effort. I've heard of people putting mashed avocado in the deviled egg instead of mayo to be healthier, but I haven't tried it (and then you're upping the time and effort more). Also, if you use a griddle, my kids seem to think cold cuts are more exciting (different/interesting) if i brown them up a little on the griddle (turkey or ham). That's a pretty quick easy way to add protein since the meat is already cooked.
Old 08-07-2015, 06:00 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamanda View Post
What kind of cereal bars do you use? My kids love them, but its time consuming to make them & I struggle to find them premade w/o all the added junk.
I make my own (for myself) with just 1/2 C honey, 1/2 C peanut butter, and 3 C cheerios (or rice krispies or a combination of the two). I heat up the honey and peanut butter in a pot on the stove (but you could probably do it in the microwave, too) and then mix in the cereal. Then, I put it on a piece of wax paper, shape it, and then just let it cool. Super easy.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:38 PM
Daycare.com Member

French toast w cheese instead of syrup ( make ahead , heat on griddle at meal time , add shredded cheese while it's hot.)
Plain yogurt with sliced fruit they can dip in.
Hummus and toasted tortilla pieces
Crepes w pb or crushed fruit spread
Old 08-09-2015, 06:15 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurel View Post
-I have a recipe for healthy breakfast cookies if you want it. Most of the flour is replaced with dried milk, applesauce replaces eggs and they are oatmeal cookies. Only 1/4 c. sugar but I made them last week for me and that seemed too sweet. Could use less. Oh and they have raisins. They are healthy oatmeal raisin cookies.
Laurel
Could I please have a copy of your recipe? Thanks!!!
Old 08-09-2015, 06:17 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Febby View Post
I make my own (for myself) with just 1/2 C honey, 1/2 C peanut butter, and 3 C cheerios (or rice krispies or a combination of the two). I heat up the honey and peanut butter in a pot on the stove (but you could probably do it in the microwave, too) and then mix in the cereal. Then, I put it on a piece of wax paper, shape it, and then just let it cool. Super easy.
That sounds awesome! Will try it this week. Thank you!
Old 08-10-2015, 04:24 AM
Daycare.com Member

To add to that pbtoast idea, someone on the forums mentioned grilled pb&j. I finally tried it and it is awesome!!!! Just sayin'.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:29 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse View Post
I have a shorter list
pb toast
organic o's
oatmeal
pancakes

usually a banana in there. This is what my kidos eat.
This sounds a lot like my list. I used to try to get a ton of variety only to have it wind up in the trash. Hungry kids = crabby kids so I do what works.
Old 08-10-2015, 04:57 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamanda View Post
Could I please have a copy of your recipe? Thanks!!!
Sure. This recipe is called Big Breakfast Cookies but if you do it as suggested they are just four super huge cookies. I just make them regular size. This was originally on the Weight Watcher's site but submitted by a member.

Big Breakfast Cookies

1 1/4 cups oatmeal
1/4 cup raisins
1/4 cup flour
1 1/2 cups dry milk
1 cup applesauce, unsweetened
1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 cup sugar (or 4 pkg. sweet and low)

Mix all ingredients together then spoon 4 big cookies onto baking sheet sprayed with cooking spray. Bake 15-20 min. at 350 degrees.
Old 08-20-2015, 08:44 PM
Daycare.com Member

Try a Banana Boat. Bread with peanut butter on it wrapped around a banana like a hotdog. Very yummy and simple.

Tags
breakfast, breakfast ideas