Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Terming a Toddler for Behavior?
lucky 08:59 AM 02-11-2016
Have any of you ever given notice for a toddler( mine is 16 months) for just being too much of a handful? My current child climbs on absolutely everything, I've had to remove tons of toys, tables, and shelves. She also throws constantly, everything and anything, I'm afraid she is really going to hurt someone . I guess I'm feeling it's just not fair to the other children in care, with having to remove so much of the equipment and the amount of time I spend on just her. I also have a new baby starting soon, and realistically will not be able to shadow her all the time. I'm just hesitant to give notice because of her age, I know toddlers are busy, but she is a little out of control.
childcaremom 09:02 AM 02-11-2016
Originally Posted by lucky:
Have any of you ever given notice for a toddler( mine is 16 months) for just being too much of a handful? My current child climbs on absolutely everything, I've had to remove tons of toys, tables, and shelves. She also throws constantly, everything and anything, I'm afraid she is really going to hurt someone . I guess I'm feeling it's just not fair to the other children in care, with having to remove so much of the equipment and the amount of time I spend on just her. I also have a new baby starting soon, and realistically will not be able to shadow her all the time. I'm just hesitant to give notice because of her age, I know toddlers are busy, but she is a little out of control.
I have. Mine was 20 months and very aggressive. He did not respond to any of my disciplining methods, either. He began targeting one of my other dcks: full tilt running and pushing her over. I put him on probation and he was gone after a week.

There is a LOT of background that also supports the term besides the behaviour but it came down to the safety of the group versus keeping the child.
Ariana 09:25 AM 02-11-2016
I termed an 18 month old after two weeks of all out crazy behavior like you mentioned. She would literally climb on top of the change table to get changed. Zero language. It was like taking care of a rabid monkey
daycarediva 09:45 AM 02-11-2016
Yup. Brand new 2yo, zero language. Pushing, climbing/pulling things down, taking toys, screaming at ANY redirection (even ah-ah-ah), crying most of the day because of that and wanting to be held. Mom ALWAYS had an excuse.
Blackcat31 10:06 AM 02-11-2016
Environment is everything.

I understand not being able to continually move equipment in order for her to stop climbing but have you considered giving her a climbing structure? Climbing IS developmentally appropriate for her age.

As for throwing, that is also developmentally appropriate and instead of being worried she'll break something I'd give her only soft toys she CAN throw.

However, if her behavior really is tough to manage, there is no reason that you can't term just because your program is not a good fit for her needs.

In my opinion, I don't think it would be fair to tell the parent the child is out of control when she really is just behaving the way a rambunctious toddler does.

I know not all toddlers are that busy but alot of them are so I would not want a parent to think something is wrong with their child in this case...kwim?
lucky 10:58 AM 02-11-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Environment is everything.

I understand not being able to continually move equipment in order for her to stop climbing but have you considered giving her a climbing structure? Climbing IS developmentally appropriate for her age.

As for throwing, that is also developmentally appropriate and instead of being worried she'll break something I'd give her only soft toys she CAN throw.

However, if her behavior really is tough to manage, there is no reason that you can't term just because your program is not a good fit for her needs.

In my opinion, I don't think it would be fair to tell the parent the child is out of control when she really is just behaving the way a rambunctious toddler does.

I know not all toddlers are that busy but alot of them are so I would not want a parent to think something is wrong with their child in this case...kwim?
I do have a climber, she just prefers to climb on equipment not intended for climbing.

As for the throwing, it would be impossible for me to keep all non soft items from her. I do have balls available, but I run a birth to five program and there are blocks, cars, animals, etc. available as well. I have already removed so much, I don't feel it's fair to my other kids to keep taking everything out of the playroom.

I understand some of this is developmentally appropriate behavior, and this is why I have been hesitating to term, however she is more of a handful than most and I am struggling, so it probably isn't a good fit for her or us.
Blackcat31 11:03 AM 02-11-2016
I do have a climber, she just prefers to climb on equipment not intended for climbing.

As for the throwing, it would be impossible for me to keep all non soft items from her. I do have balls available, but I run a birth to five program and there are blocks, cars, animals, etc. available as well. I have already removed so much, I don't feel it's fair to my other kids to keep taking everything out of the playroom.

I understand some of this is developmentally appropriate behavior, and this is why I have been hesitating to term, however she is more of a handful than most and I am struggling, so it probably isn't a good fit for her or us.

BabyMonkeys 06:01 PM 02-12-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
I termed an 18 month old after two weeks of all out crazy behavior like you mentioned. She would literally climb on top of the change table to get changed. Zero language. It was like taking care of a rabid monkey
Rabid monkey!
Tags:termination - behavioral
Reply Up