Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Riding the Bus..
KEG123 02:47 PM 03-30-2011
Do you have dck's that ride the bus to or from your house? I ask because my neighbor also does daycare, I notice the bus comes twice a day, once to pick up and one to drop off (half days- kinder I assume) But I don't know what school they go to. (If it is in or out of district)

I have a lady who is interviewing tomorrow who may need the bus to drop off in the afternoon her 6 year old. While her 4 year old would be here all day. That doesn't really bother me, it's only a couple hours. My issue though is whether or not the bus will drive out of district to where I live? I told her that she would have to call and find out, but what is your experience? Do they charge a fee? Not do it at all? I don't even know...
daycare 02:52 PM 03-30-2011
Great advice you gave to the mom. She needs to call the district and find out If your neighborhood is part of the bus route for his school. As for fees, I'm not sure? I live in Ca and I had to pay $450 a year per child for a bus pass
KEG123 03:03 PM 03-30-2011
Is that the cost of your city bus? If so, I wasn't asking cost of the city bus. I was wondering if the shool bus company would allow her to pay to have the school bus come by my house... or if they would just say "No-the end"
safechner 03:16 PM 03-30-2011
If she have a special needs child then she can ride the bus to your house if she goes to out of district school. If she lives in the same town as you then the bus can drop her/him off and pick her/him up at your house or anywhere in the same town if her child have special needs.
KEG123 03:18 PM 03-30-2011
Not special needs. Same city, different school district.
MyAngels 04:09 PM 03-30-2011
I know in our town the bus will only drop off within the district boundaries. She should definitely check to be sure.
KEG123 07:50 AM 03-31-2011
Yes. Another thing that had me confused was that she was acting like her son could just go to the school in my district? She lives close to me but not same district. Dunno.
gbcc 09:28 AM 03-31-2011
Where I live the school district is the entire town but the bus wont go out of town to pick up a child. Under certain situations you can pay a yearly tuition to enroll your child in our school but the child must be transported to school or be able to get picked up in district.
Cat Herder 09:33 AM 03-31-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:
Yes. Another thing that had me confused was that she was acting like her son could just go to the school in my district? She lives close to me but not same district. Dunno.
That happened to me alot when I took school aged kids.

They would use my address to get their child into the better school district and then just drive the extra 30 minutes to my house instead of using a provider closer to where they lived.

School shopping via daycare bus stop......
KEG123 09:37 AM 03-31-2011
Yeah my neighborhood does have one of the better schools in the district, so I've been told... but she didn't know the school before she called me.
Cat Herder 09:41 AM 03-31-2011
She can call your school and fill out a variance form. It is really easy to get them approved most of the time.

I hope it works out for you both....
KEG123 09:56 AM 03-31-2011
Maybe a dumb question but what is a variance form?
Cat Herder 10:01 AM 03-31-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:
Maybe a dumb question but what is a variance form?
There is no such thing as a dumb question.

It is a request form to attend school out of district due to childcare needs.

They just use your address as the one the child will be riding the bus from.

Sometimes I have had to verify that I intended to enroll the child (illegal parental resident status) but most times I did not.

The county typically wont care if the child is related or not since the homeowner is already paying school taxes anyway.
KEG123 10:05 AM 03-31-2011
Awesome, great information. I will pass this on to her when I speak with her today. (assuming she doesn't stand me up like the last two!) Gr!
Tags:bus, transportation
Reply Up