Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Many of You Provide Transportation?
wdmmom 03:17 PM 08-09-2011
I recently had a DCF ask me to start transporting their child to preschool 2 days a week. I was going to have DH do it because I don't drive...especially in the winter.

After following up with my insurance company, I found out that to be legal to do this, I would have to get a commercial auto policy. This would have raised my rates $700-$1000 a year!

I was wondering how many of you provide transportation without having a commercial policy? What are your state requirements for transporting?
Blackcat31 03:19 PM 08-09-2011
I did a poll on this a few weeks ago. I wondered the same thing. It is not a service I provide and do not plan on ever making it something I will offer.
https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30652
Country Kids 03:22 PM 08-09-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
I recently had a DCF ask me to start transporting their child to preschool 2 days a week. I was going to have DH do it because I don't drive...especially in the winter.

After following up with my insurance company, I found out that to be legal to do this, I would have to get a commercial auto policy. This would have raised my rates $700-$1000 a year!

I was wondering how many of you provide transportation without having a commercial policy? What are your state requirements for transporting?
If you are going to do this I would let the parent know what it is going to cost and let them know that their rates will be raised in order to cover this extra cost.
wdmmom 03:59 PM 08-09-2011
I was told by my insurance provider that I can not make the parents pay for the insurance. Then I would be catagorized as "For Hire" raising the rate even more!!!
Country Kids 04:10 PM 08-09-2011
Your next step would be then to let the parents know that you won't be able to do this service for them.
Zoe 05:47 PM 08-09-2011
I have transportation permission slips for all of my daycare kids but I don't have a transportation coverage, just the typical daycare insurance. I'm in MN and am not sure what the regulations are on transporting without that kind of coverage. Honestly, my licensor who is very detail oriented never mentioned it!
VTMom 06:11 PM 08-09-2011
I transport to preschool in town. My son went last year, and will go this year along with two other daycare kids I have. It's included in my handbook and one of the first things I mention when someone calls for information. I mention it more because I'm concerned some may have a problem with their non-preschool kids being dragged along, and I think this is an important factor. I have commercial insurance on my vehicle.

As I'm writing this response, I've realized that I've messed this up. Instead of relaying it as a potential sticking point for some parents, I should have been promoting it as a valuable service!
sharlan 08:37 PM 08-09-2011
I've always transported, never a problem. I was in a minor accident (20 yrs ago) with all the kids in the car, my ins didn't say a thing. They contacted each parent to make sure the kids were ok.

Things may have changed since then, though.
wdmmom 06:14 AM 08-10-2011
Personally, I think the liability is way too high. Not to mention but reverse the rolls...

Do I want my child in a carseat being toted back and forth to school twice a day or to the grocery. Heck no! I think too many providers say it's a "valuable service"...which it is...to the provider! What I wouldn't give to keep kids strapped in for 2 hours a day! It would make my day go a lot smoother and faster!
cheeseheadmama 06:44 AM 08-10-2011
I provide transportation at the DCP's request. It has actually been one of my biggest issues, but not for what you would think. Last year, DCP asked that I take their PT DCG to preschool and pick her up again three afternoons a week, but did NOT want to compensate me for it. They thought the ability to write off the mileage was more than enough incentive for me. (we finally struck a much better deal). Then again they never had to bundle up 3 small kids, buckle them into car seats and drive 6 miles in below zero/snowy temps, then reverse the process 2 hours later. After doing that for a year I KNOW that I will never do that again without being paid a LOT of money.

Also, I had another DCK start full-time (LOTS more money than the PT kids) but then no longer had room in my van for all FIVE car seats. We let ourselves be talked into buying a different vehicle (FT boy's mom was a good friend) that would fit all the kids so that I could accommodate everyone else's needs. Less than a year later they pulled him due to allergies and now I am stuck with a vehicle that we can't afford because her son is no longer in my care. Of course we are upside down on it and can't even afford to sell it until we pay more off. Ugh.

On the other hand, it has been wonderful this summer to be able to drive to nearby parks, the zoo, the Childrens museum, etc. Gets us out and lets the kids do something different that their own parents don't have time for. I NEVER run errands with all the kids along; that is just insane. Have been to a couple of appointments with all of them, but they were very quick and no one thought anything of it.

Didn't mean to hijack this thread, but wanted to tell my good and bad experiences with transporting DCK's. Can be good, can be a struggle, but overall I guess I like having the flexibility.
wdmmom 07:17 AM 08-10-2011
I would LOVE to be able to get out of the house and take the kids to the zoo but there again...the potential liability of one of the kids getting hurt, being in an accident, etc. all outweigh the benefits to me.

Going to the zoo would be fabulous but I don't think the parents would approve of the kids all going either.

My insurance company said that if it were "scheduled" or "routine" trips, I would have to have the commercial policy but it it's a every now and again situation, I am covered.

Now you've really got my mind running. A trip to the zoo before it gets too cold would be fabulous!
Blackcat31 07:28 AM 08-10-2011
I would LOVE to be able to get out of the house and take the kids to the zoo but there again...the potential liability of one of the kids getting hurt, being in an accident, etc. all outweigh the benefits to me.

Going to the zoo would be fabulous but I don't think the parents would approve of the kids all going either.

My insurance company said that if it were "scheduled" or "routine" trips, I would have to have the commercial policy but it it's a every now and again situation, I am covered.

Now you've really got my mind running. A trip to the zoo before it gets too cold would be fabulous!
We take field trips but I do not drive them. I use the local bus service. I call in advance and reserve a small bus. It is super inexpensive and relatively pain free. It also allows me to be free to tend to the kids if necessary rather than be the driver.
VTMom 10:11 AM 08-10-2011
Personally, I think the liability is way too high. Not to mention but reverse the rolls...

Do I want my child in a carseat being toted back and forth to school twice a day or to the grocery. Heck no! I think too many providers say it's a "valuable service"...which it is...to the provider! What I wouldn't give to keep kids strapped in for 2 hours a day! It would make my day go a lot smoother and faster!
Ouch! I wouldn't consider this beneficial to me as a provider other then enabling children to go to our local preschool who would be unable to otherwise. Strapping 6 kids into carseats is not a good time in my opinion. Our town preschool is 1/2 a mile down the road and our town is without sidewalks. It is a service for families that want their children to attend preschool, but can't transport to and from class due to work.
AnneCordelia 10:16 AM 08-10-2011
I don't transport children. We are a one car family and DH takes it to work. I have a large stroller that I use for the school run twice a day, and also for regular field trips.
mismatchedsocks 10:18 AM 08-10-2011
I do transport, but just because I bring and pick up my own kids from school. the schools I transport to are those schools. BUT I have an assistant and most days we only need to take one child with us. For the last year, I take the sibling of the child who will be at school with in the car. If I didnt have an assistant I would not transport.

Also we do weekly field trips with the kids. Its great to get out of the house and get new experiences, but I understand the liability and am upfront with the families from the start.
Tags:transportation
Reply Up