Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Curriculum>Cloud Dough Is Awesome!!
kendallina 07:10 AM 10-21-2011
Thank you to whoever posted this recipe, I think it was MelsKids. My kids have been playing with this for almost an hour with no sign of them stopping! They LOVE it!

8 cups flour
1 cup baby oil

We will have quite a little mess on our hands when we're done, though... LOL
sharlan 07:42 AM 10-21-2011
I'm planning on making this Monday.

I'm wondering what will happen if I add the pumpkin pie spice.
melskids 08:56 AM 10-21-2011
i'm glad you are enjoying it!

we added orange food coloring and pumpkin spice. the smell of the baby oil overpowered the spice, so next time i will look for a scent free baby oil.
Heidi 11:31 AM 10-21-2011
Originally Posted by melskids:
i'm glad you are enjoying it!

we added orange food coloring and pumpkin spice. the smell of the baby oil overpowered the spice, so next time i will look for a scent free baby oil.
It would work with vegetable oil instead of baby oil? I have toddlers, so they will def. eat it, or try to. Baby oil would be bad to eat...
hoopinglady 11:34 AM 10-21-2011
I tried replacing veg oil with baby oil the last time I made cooked playdough and it definitely did not work the same so I'm not sure how it would go the other way around.
Childminder 11:56 AM 10-21-2011
Baby oil is mineral oil with fragrance added. Mineral oil is cheaper if you get it from the dollar store but even at the grocery or drug store it doesn't cost much. Mineral oil is use as a stool softener/laxative for babies - adults so if infants eat the dough it will just make them poop a little easier.
dEHmom 12:02 PM 10-21-2011
Originally Posted by hoopinglady:
I tried replacing veg oil with baby oil the last time I made cooked playdough and it definitely did not work the same so I'm not sure how it would go the other way around.
cooked playdough?
hoopinglady 12:06 PM 10-21-2011
cooked playdough:

3 c. flours
3 c. water
1.5 c. salt
6 tsp cream of tartar
6 T veg oil
coloring

mix all ingredients, cook on medium until a ball forms, knead and play.

store in freezer bags....we keep it a month or so until it starts to get crumbly or we decide to change colors.
MsMe 12:09 PM 10-21-2011
Originally Posted by bbo:
It would work with vegetable oil instead of baby oil? I have toddlers, so they will def. eat it, or try to. Baby oil would be bad to eat...
I must have ready the recipe wrong on the other thread.....I used vegetable oil.....

It worked for me. it stuck together when formed and then broke apart....

my kidos loved it!!!

We played once with it insede before I decided it will now forever be an outside activity...
dEHmom 08:12 AM 10-26-2011
do you think substituting Skin So Soft would work?
sharlan 08:52 AM 10-26-2011
The scent from Skin So Soft might be too strong.

I made it using cheap baby oil (I love the smell). I didn't add the pumpkin pie spice, which I think is a good thing. I tried adding food coloring, but it didn't seem to do anything.

My 4 yo played with it for over 2 hours on Monday and an hour yesterday. I put 1/2 of it in a disposable foil pan, gave him some scoopers and let him go. He took the scoopers out and used his hands to make "pods" for Anakin.

When he was done, I poured it into a plastic jug. It vacuumed up of the tile really easily.
kendallina 12:28 PM 10-26-2011
Does anyone know if it goes "bad"? It's been in a covered container for almost a week and is still fine. Is there a point where it will become gross or anything??
Tags:cloud, cloud dough, playdough, recipe
Reply Up