Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Making Extra $$ On The Side?
SunshineMama 10:32 AM 05-07-2012
Do any of you do extra, odd jobs to make money on top of doing daycare?

I was looking into also being a virtual assistant, but I cant find anything credible. I'm not particularly crafty either, but I want to make some extra cash in the home.

Just wondering what others are doing, if anything
daycare 10:44 AM 05-07-2012
one the side personal trainer...
Breezy 10:48 AM 05-07-2012
I am considering Pampered Chef
DaycareMomma 10:56 AM 05-07-2012
I sell A.C.E. which is an all natural appetite control and energy supplement. It fricken rocks. I've lost 25lbs already with it since March 12th AND it has helped me pay A LOT of things. I've made hotel reservations, camping reservations, paid taxes, bought my bridesmaids dress, tabs for our vehicles...just to name a few with the money I've made since March 12th!
safechner 11:05 AM 05-07-2012
Originally Posted by DaycareMomma:
I sell A.C.E. which is an all natural appetite control and energy supplement. It fricken rocks. I've lost 25lbs already with it since March 12th AND it has helped me pay A LOT of things. I've made hotel reservations, camping reservations, paid taxes, bought my bridesmaids dress, tabs for our vehicles...just to name a few with the money I've made since March 12th!
I have heard of A.C.E before. Are you sure it is safe? I asked one of my friend who bought A.C.E pills from her friend who is selling about side effects. She said it is all safe and natural but how do you know if it is?
itlw8 11:14 AM 05-07-2012
When my boys were little I sold tupperware. It was nice to get out of the house and I made some money but spent most of it on product.

I have decorated cake for friends. The biggest problem is after working 10 1/2 hour days I am tired.
wdmmom 11:17 AM 05-07-2012
I sell Avon. Some of my best customers are my daycare moms!
DaycareMomma 11:25 AM 05-07-2012
Well I can tell you I've had no side effects at all. The product has been on the market for 3 years with no reports of adverse reactions, that is a pretty darn good record.

You are always more than welcome to take it to your doctor and have them explain everything to you further. Many doctors, mine included, absolutely love it!

I'd be more than happy to send you a free sample if you'd like.
daycare 11:30 AM 05-07-2012
Well I can tell you I've had no side effects at all. The product has been on the market for 3 years with no reports of adverse reactions, that is a pretty darn good record.

You are always more than welcome to take it to your doctor and have them explain everything to you further. Many doctors, mine included, absolutely love it!

I'd be more than happy to send you a free sample if you'd like.
not to throw you under the bus, but I looked it up. I am in the fitness indy so I always try to keep myself knowledgeable of the products that my clients may ask me about.

this is what I found on it....

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/padu...HBRREHCDKHT2D3
AfterSchoolMom 11:30 AM 05-07-2012
I pet sit on the side. It actually makes more money and is far less trouble than child care, lol. I'd do that full time if I could.
daycare 11:34 AM 05-07-2012
Originally Posted by AfterSchoolMom:
I pet sit on the side. It actually makes more money and is far less trouble than child care, lol. I'd do that full time if I could.
wow that is crazy..

I have never heard of this before...You babysit dogs? lol that is a wonderful concept of a business..

Maybe because I am afraid of dogs and I don't have any pets I dont know about this business....
kayla 11:36 AM 05-07-2012
I would like to maybe get into cleaning homes on the weekends, I love to clean... I find it to be a stress reliever..
DaycareMomma 11:41 AM 05-07-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
not to throw you under the bus, but I looked it up. I am in the fitness indy so I always try to keep myself knowledgeable of the products that my clients may ask me about.

this is what I found on it....

http://www.topix.com/forum/city/padu...HBRREHCDKHT2D3

I respect you looking it up, but just keep in mind. You will always find people that will bash a product if it didn't immediately work for them or if it is their competitor. There are THOUSANDS of people taking ACE with AMAZING results. It is up to each individual person if they want to take it and you are always encouraged to speak with your doctor about it first. I personally have taken it and had zero side effects. I even stopped taking it for a while and had no adverse effects.
saved4always 11:48 AM 05-07-2012
I sold jewelry through a home show business for a year but I was not any good at booking parties so I didn't renew. And I spent most of my income from it on more jewelry. Not very lucrative for me but I loved the jewelry!
daycare 11:57 AM 05-07-2012
I respect you looking it up, but just keep in mind. You will always find people that will bash a product if it didn't immediately work for them or if it is their competitor. There are THOUSANDS of people taking ACE with AMAZING results. It is up to each individual person if they want to take it and you are always encouraged to speak with your doctor about it first. I personally have taken it and had zero side effects. I even stopped taking it for a while and had no adverse effects.
I understand what you are saying, but each person will be effected by it differently. Even from the home website of the product it states:

Common side effects include heartburn, nausea, constipation and mild headaches. Serious side effects include insomnia, confusion, dizziness or intense headache. Severe side effects associated with phenylalanine include tightness or sharp pain in the chest, difficulty breathing and a sudden increase in heart rate or blood pressure. Do not take more than 500 milligrams in a single serving. It is in this work that the similarities of phenylethylamine HCL to other substances, such as amphetamine, methamphetamine and dopamine, are discussed and their similar effects within the biochemistry of the human body.

You may be one of the lucky ones that don;t suffer from side effects of it. What works for some in one way, will not work the same way for others.

Sorry, I dont want to take over the thread. Sounds like it works great for you and that's awesome. I am happy you found something that works well for you...
busymomof2 12:09 PM 05-07-2012
I use to make over 45, 000 a year so it's been a BIG adjustment. We have a rental, we rent bounce houses on the weekend (which I book and keep the books) and I make and sell hair accessories. I make them when the kids are napping. I'm just getting started so haven't made much online but do ok at home parties and craft fairs. Enough to make my credit card payments, LOL.http://www.hertutucutebowtique.com
Sunchimes 01:12 PM 05-07-2012
I had an Etsy shop, selling toys, wallets, a few tote bags and whatever else struck my fancy. But, my sewing room is now my playroom and my sewing stuff is jammed into my teensy little office. Since I work so many hours now, including most Saturdays, it's just too hard to get all the sewing stuff out, sew a little while, and then have to put it all away. Maybe I'll get it out again one of these days.
Creek 01:16 PM 05-07-2012
I make cakes and sell them.
AfterSchoolMom 01:22 PM 05-07-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
wow that is crazy..

I have never heard of this before...You babysit dogs? lol that is a wonderful concept of a business..

Maybe because I am afraid of dogs and I don't have any pets I dont know about this business....
Yep! Pet sitting makes up for a lot of lost income in the summer. People go on vacation and bring their dogs to me. I only take on one at a time to keep my house from becoming a zoo, lol. The best part - I've never once had a pet owner complain about my rates. People are much more open to paying a decent rate for their dogs than they are their kids. Sad, but true.
daycare 01:28 PM 05-07-2012
Yep! Pet sitting makes up for a lot of lost income in the summer. People go on vacation and bring their dogs to me. I only take on one at a time to keep my house from becoming a zoo, lol. The best part - I've never once had a pet owner complain about my rates. People are much more open to paying a decent rate for their dogs than they are their kids. Sad, but true.
OMG that is sad.....
mac60 01:29 PM 05-07-2012
My hubby and I have a cleaning job 10 hours a week, pays for our health insurance that we lost and now pay private for.

I also am working on a home based business in which I am in the finishing stages of getting it up and running.
DaisyMamma 01:32 PM 05-07-2012
I sell on eBay.
SunshineMama 02:17 PM 05-07-2012
Wow! Why does this not surprise me though
DaisyMamma 02:45 PM 05-07-2012
I used to do pet sitting. It paid about $15 for a half hpur, to go to the persons house and let their dogs out to pee about mid day. But with gas prices and living in the country its hard. But having the dogs come to you on vacation is a good idea. And I bet some of your daycare families are your dog sitting clients. I might have to adopt that idea.
Unregistered 07:16 PM 05-07-2012
I've been having a wonderful time lately and making extra money as a facilitator of reading groups for both children and adults, through grants from the NY Council of Humanities, both online and in person at the local library. I love grants!
laundrymom 07:52 PM 05-07-2012
I write. Short stories, that type of thing. I'm trying to sell my first full length novel right now.
momofboys 08:00 PM 05-07-2012
I score/grade standardized exams part-time on-line in my home. I only do this during the months of Feb-May & it's based on what jobs they ask me to do. Unfortunately it's only available in the late winter/spring because it's based on when school-age kids take their exams. Pay is decent (usually $14-15/hr +) & I can work whenever I want to for the most part. I currently am scoring written history exams but I normally grade reading comprehension or writing for high schoolers. And no, I do not score when I am providing childcare. I only have 2 pt families so I usually have 1-2 days/week off so I can grade - or I work on the weekends. If you are interested google Pearson Flexible Scoring. I love it!!!
momofboys 08:01 PM 05-07-2012
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I write. Short stories, that type of thing. I'm trying to sell my first full length novel right now.

momofboys 08:02 PM 05-07-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
Wow! Why does this not surprise me though
Sad, isn't it?!
momofboys 08:03 PM 05-07-2012
Originally Posted by momofboys:
I score/grade standardized exams part-time on-line in my home. I only do this during the months of Feb-May & it's based on what jobs they ask me to do. Unfortunately it's only available in the late winter/spring because it's based on when school-age kids take their exams. Pay is decent (usually $14-15/hr +) & I can work whenever I want to for the most part. I currently am scoring written history exams but I normally grade reading comprehension or writing for high schoolers. And no, I do not score when I am providing childcare. I only have 2 pt families so I usually have 1-2 days/week off so I can grade - or I work on the weekends. If you are interested google Pearson Flexible Scoring. I love it!!!
http://www.flexiblescoring-sat.pears...?a=cat&cid=919
SunshineMama 04:44 AM 05-08-2012
Thanks I am going to look that up asap!
saved4always 05:17 AM 05-08-2012
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
That is really exciting!!!! You will have to let us know if you get published so we can read your novel! I love to read (this forum AND books...lol!).

Good luck! I hope you get published quickly!
momofboys 05:31 AM 05-08-2012
Originally Posted by SunshineMama:
Thanks I am going to look that up asap!
It's probably too late for this year; however, it's fine to apply now & I am sure you will be considered for their next administration in 2013. You do need to have internet access () & a college degree but it can be in any subject. Let me know if you have any questions. Initially they do all contact via e-mail b/c they have employees in many, many states - so this fall check your e-mail/junk e-mail - most e-mails come saying "Scoreessaysfromhome" or something like Pearson Education. HTH!
laundrymom 05:59 AM 05-08-2012
Originally Posted by saved4always:
That is really exciting!!!! You will have to let us know if you get published so we can read your novel! I love to read (this forum AND books...lol!).

Good luck! I hope you get published quickly!
Thanks!!!!! Me too!!! Lately my naptimes have been edit, rewrite, synopsis, query, edit rewrite edit, polish, lol
Springdaze 07:05 AM 05-08-2012
What an interesting thread! I need to make money too! I am a certified Baby Signingtime Instructor, but I need the confidence to put myself out there, and I also need to work out childcare for MY kids when I hold classes. But its mostly the confidence! UM, Hello!? You opened your own home daycare!? (sorry, just a little self talk!)
SunshineMama 08:01 AM 05-08-2012
Originally Posted by chellenj:
What an interesting thread! I need to make money too! I am a certified Baby Signingtime Instructor, but I need the confidence to put myself out there, and I also need to work out childcare for MY kids when I hold classes. But its mostly the confidence! UM, Hello!? You opened your own home daycare!? (sorry, just a little self talk!)
I know what you mean. It seems like it was so much "easier" to start a daycare, but all of my other business ventures seem so impossible to reach. I think I am not putting much effort out there though. I really want to be a virtual assistant, but I have no clue where to start.
MarinaVanessa 10:24 AM 05-08-2012
Originally Posted by chellenj:
How do you do that? Sounds really interesting and my kids love Signing Time
Springdaze 01:18 PM 05-08-2012
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
How do you do that? Sounds really interesting and my kids love Signing Time
You can get info from Signingtime Academy. you pay for the kit and 10 bucks a month for licensing to use their products to teach. tons of support too!
Tags:extra income, side jobs
Reply Up