Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>1st Meet And Greet(Possible Interview) On Tuesday...
Fruitloops1 03:19 PM 07-27-2012
I have my first parent that wants to check out my space on Tuesday, July 31st. I didn't call her back to confirm yet but I will once I get a little courage to not stutter on the phone!

Any pointers? Suggestions? Warnings?
I am using this entire weekend to set-up everything.

I know I have to:
1. Get my forms in order. (contract w/ scheduled hours, photo release, questioner about child, household and health/medical background, emergency contact, nutrition/allergy, medical treatment, topical ointment consent, outdoor/field trip, discipline, and the agreement to the Handbook,
AM I MISSING ANY FORMS?

2. Print hard copy of Handbook.

3. Gather curriculum ideas (so parent can see what we will do)

4. Gather certificates from trainings

5. drawling a blank.....

I am so excited that this is all coming together(except for a MAJOR lag on my DCFS rep's park ) I am planning on operating legally unlicensed until I become licensed of course!

Oh I am so HAPPY
Nickel 05:57 PM 07-27-2012
Is this the one who you were emailing with?

I have an interview on Tuesday as well!!! lol. This one will be my third, but I'm still nervous. Honestly, just remember, that she needs you more than you need her. It helps sooooo much. My last interview was a breeze because I kept in mind that she really needed me (her last provider was moving) and I didn't get all sweaty or shaky or too nervous. I showed her my program, gave her my resume, and went over my handbook (basically). The only think I actually handed her was my sample menu, resume, and medical authorization (because she was going to the doctor early next week so Ihave it to her so she could just get it filled out. It's a standard form, so every daycare provider can use it . it's the one from the state)

ANYWAY, my advice, stay calm... I know that is soooooo hard Because I get super nervous too, but just breath breath breath LOL
Fruitloops1 07:05 AM 07-28-2012
Originally Posted by Nickel:
Is this the one who you were emailing with?

I have an interview on Tuesday as well!!! lol. This one will be my third, but I'm still nervous. Honestly, just remember, that she needs you more than you need her. It helps sooooo much. My last interview was a breeze because I kept in mind that she really needed me (her last provider was moving) and I didn't get all sweaty or shaky or too nervous. I showed her my program, gave her my resume, and went over my handbook (basically). The only think I actually handed her was my sample menu, resume, and medical authorization (because she was going to the doctor early next week so Ihave it to her so she could just get it filled out. It's a standard form, so every daycare provider can use it . it's the one from the state)

ANYWAY, my advice, stay calm... I know that is soooooo hard Because I get super nervous too, but just breath breath breath LOL
Thank you! No, this isn't the one I was emailing with. After my response she didn't answer. Its okay.
The mom coming on Tuesday is from an inquiry off my website. I called her once I received it and left her a VM. I wasn't planning on having everything ready so soon but I have two additional families that want to see the space and figured that I will just use the weekend to get it all beautiful and ready.
She seems really excited and nice over the phone.
I have been getting better with calling people and responding to emails.

Do you have your family fill out a questioner?
Nickel 08:57 AM 07-28-2012
I am terrible with the phone. I'd much rather email, but I've actually been answering it when it rings. lol. I used to let it go to voicemail because I was too nervous to respond! hahahaha!!!

ANYWAY

I don't have them fill out a questionaire. At least not at the interview. I just ask them my questions, such as how old is your child, what hours, full or part time, are they up to date on thier immunizations That sort of thing

I usually ask those questions over the phone anyway, just because I want to know in advance, If I do ask over the phone, I make a little note if they said their child's name and I'll make a point to say, " So you are needing care for you child, suzy, full time? What hours do you expect to need care?"

Kind of thing. It makes the parents know you were listening. A lot of times in society we don't actually use a person's name. It's funny how people pay attention when you actually interject their name or their child's name in conversation.

I give them a copy of my resume with references. Then I go through and tell them about what I provide as far as curriculum, meals, etc. I give them a sample menu and my daily schedule. I let them know I need a physicians statement and shot record. I go over some of my policies depending on the child's age, introducing new foods, field trips, transportation (i drop off and pick up my oldest daughter at school every day) If thier child is old enough for potty training I tell them that policy, late fees, holidays, vacation, etc.

Then I give them a tour, let them look at the kitchen were I prepare food, the dining room and high chairs where we eat, the play area, the nap area, and the backyard. (I once had a lady i interviewed for care that wouldn't let me see her kitchen. It was weird. i didn't ask to see it, but it was so obvious she didn't want me back there)

Then we sit back down, I prefer the couch honestly. I can see my children and it's right near the play area, so they get a good view lol. We chat some more about parenting styles and go from there.

At the end of the interview I tell them I can email them my handbook and additional forms and ask that they read over the information and get back to me. If they want to give me a deposit, I tell them to go home and think about it and if they still want my services we can set up an appt with their child.

Then I wait till that evening and I send them a thank you email, I attach my contract, handbook, physician forms, admission form, a questionare of sorts, my menu, infant feeding form, sunblock permission, and basically a whole welcome package.

Then i wait.

Oh, and I always make sure to have water out so I can offer them a beverage. So far no one has said yes, which is weird because it's 100 degrees if not more here every day, so that's weird....

I hope that helped. I have an interview sheet that another forum member gave me. I can fwd it to you if you'd like. You can tailor it to meet your needs. Oh, and another thing. I made sure that parents knew I was still working on my space and it wasn't done yet. So I would tell them, here is going to be this or that. My first interview, unimpresssed, my second went much better

Just try not to be nervous. That's what I did. And it went sooo much better when the first interview was with just the parent. Otherwise it's constantly stopping to look after their child (because for some reason she let me "care" for her) like don't pick up that cracker my daughter is eating, don't smack my daughter because you can't have a toy. Crying because she couldn't have a toy. Wow. Kind of glad she didn't respond LOL

You'll do fine, and if it doesn't work out, there are families out there that will. I was so nervous and scared until I found my first family. After that, it gets soooo much easier. And remember that connection you had on the phone. That helped put me at ease too. And she'sexcited about meeting you so that helps too./

Sorry this is so long. you asked one question and I wrote a book.
Fruitloops1 11:26 AM 07-28-2012
Originally Posted by Nickel:
I am terrible with the phone. I'd much rather email, but I've actually been answering it when it rings. lol. I used to let it go to voicemail because I was too nervous to respond! hahahaha!!!

ANYWAY

I don't have them fill out a questionaire. At least not at the interview. I just ask them my questions, such as how old is your child, what hours, full or part time, are they up to date on thier immunizations That sort of thing

I usually ask those questions over the phone anyway, just because I want to know in advance, If I do ask over the phone, I make a little note if they said their child's name and I'll make a point to say, " So you are needing care for you child, suzy, full time? What hours do you expect to need care?"

Kind of thing. It makes the parents know you were listening. A lot of times in society we don't actually use a person's name. It's funny how people pay attention when you actually interject their name or their child's name in conversation.

I give them a copy of my resume with references. Then I go through and tell them about what I provide as far as curriculum, meals, etc. I give them a sample menu and my daily schedule. I let them know I need a physicians statement and shot record. I go over some of my policies depending on the child's age, introducing new foods, field trips, transportation (i drop off and pick up my oldest daughter at school every day) If thier child is old enough for potty training I tell them that policy, late fees, holidays, vacation, etc.

Then I give them a tour, let them look at the kitchen were I prepare food, the dining room and high chairs where we eat, the play area, the nap area, and the backyard. (I once had a lady i interviewed for care that wouldn't let me see her kitchen. It was weird. i didn't ask to see it, but it was so obvious she didn't want me back there)

Then we sit back down, I prefer the couch honestly. I can see my children and it's right near the play area, so they get a good view lol. We chat some more about parenting styles and go from there.

At the end of the interview I tell them I can email them my handbook and additional forms and ask that they read over the information and get back to me. If they want to give me a deposit, I tell them to go home and think about it and if they still want my services we can set up an appt with their child.

Then I wait till that evening and I send them a thank you email, I attach my contract, handbook, physician forms, admission form, a questionare of sorts, my menu, infant feeding form, sunblock permission, and basically a whole welcome package.

Then i wait.

Oh, and I always make sure to have water out so I can offer them a beverage. So far no one has said yes, which is weird because it's 100 degrees if not more here every day, so that's weird....

I hope that helped. I have an interview sheet that another forum member gave me. I can fwd it to you if you'd like. You can tailor it to meet your needs. Oh, and another thing. I made sure that parents knew I was still working on my space and it wasn't done yet. So I would tell them, here is going to be this or that. My first interview, unimpresssed, my second went much better

Just try not to be nervous. That's what I did. And it went sooo much better when the first interview was with just the parent. Otherwise it's constantly stopping to look after their child (because for some reason she let me "care" for her) like don't pick up that cracker my daughter is eating, don't smack my daughter because you can't have a toy. Crying because she couldn't have a toy. Wow. Kind of glad she didn't respond LOL

You'll do fine, and if it doesn't work out, there are families out there that will. I was so nervous and scared until I found my first family. After that, it gets soooo much easier. And remember that connection you had on the phone. That helped put me at ease too. And she'sexcited about meeting you so that helps too./

Sorry this is so long. you asked one question and I wrote a book.
its okay I like books
Would you, could you please send me the interview sheet?
daycarekay 11:29 AM 07-28-2012
No real advice, just commiseration- I hate talking on the phone, too. E-mail is my choice of communication, even though I do know the value of having phone conversations. I would rather type of talk face-to-face, myself. Just remember that you have a service to be PROUD of, and that the child(ren) would be lucky to spend time in your care. Have a list of questions you want to ask and practice talking about it aloud if that will help. Be confident and kind, and you will do great. Good luck!
Fruitloops1 09:11 AM 07-30-2012
Originally Posted by daycarekay:
No real advice, just commiseration- I hate talking on the phone, too. E-mail is my choice of communication, even though I do know the value of having phone conversations. I would rather type of talk face-to-face, myself. Just remember that you have a service to be PROUD of, and that the child(ren) would be lucky to spend time in your care. Have a list of questions you want to ask and practice talking about it aloud if that will help. Be confident and kind, and you will do great. Good luck!
Thank you so much! And you're right, I've spent a lot of time, hard work and money in putting my daycare space together and getting my policies in order (amongst lots of other things) and I am really proud of it. I will just let all my hard work shine through, if this family cant see it and appriciate it then maybe my dayecare isnt the one for them.
Thank you for helping me realize that.
Reply Up