Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
View Poll Results: Are reality shows real?
Yes-Entirelly real with no scripting 0 0%
No-fake and scripted 28 100.00%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Reality Shows
Country Kids 12:46 PM 04-02-2013
Lyss's post in another thread reminded me that I've been wanting to ask this.

Do you think reality shows are really what happens off the cuff or are they scripted?
CedarCreek 12:52 PM 04-02-2013
I voted scripted but I think it's somewhere in between.
Oneluckymom 01:48 PM 04-02-2013
I think it's a little of both. Definitely scripting is there...in fact some of these reallty stars have come out and said they were paid more to do things like fake a drug addiction or affair etc.
Evansmom 01:49 PM 04-02-2013
I think there is a lot of loose (meaning a little coaching) scripting and I can't stand them.
Bookworm 02:03 PM 04-02-2013
I think the actors are heavily coached. Especially shows were young women act like fools for attention. Also consider the highly manipulative editing that takes place.
Heidi 02:14 PM 04-02-2013
Dh is a big Survivor Fan, but hates "American Idol" for being too contrived.

I was watching with him last week, and wondered why all the women's underarms are still shaved after umpteen days in the jungle?
Starburst 02:20 PM 04-02-2013
I think it depends on the show. I think some of the shows where they are actualy famous for having some type of talent or at least an interesting job (like 'Say Yes to The Dress', 'Cake Boss', 'Tabatha Takes Over') are more real or less likely to be scripted and the ones where they are just on tv because they are breathing (pretty much everything on MTV/VH1) are more likely to be scripted. I think on some of the compitition or dating shows the results are fudged by either whoever the views love or hate the most or by whoever would get the most shock value. Also I believe that the editors leave out a lot or mix shots together to make it more interesting.

I have not seriously watched a full season of American Idol since whats-his-face won over Adam Lambert- that was proof that it could be rigged; not to mention no one has really stood out much since and the only part worth watching anymore is the auditions. But the show was pretty much going down hill since Kara DioGuardi became a judge and the origional judges started leaving.
Country Kids 02:23 PM 04-02-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Dh is a big Survivor Fan, but hates "American Idol" for being too contrived.

I was watching with him last week, and wondered why all the women's underarms are still shaved after umpteen days in the jungle?
Yes!!!! I think thats when I really wondered this. I also saw a shot were they showed the armpits and the first thought I had was "why are their armpits not hairy?"

I can also tell you, my hair would be very very greasy 4 or 5 days let alone 30 days.
mom2many 03:34 PM 04-02-2013
Originally Posted by Bookworm:
I think the actors are heavily coached. Especially shows were young women act like fools for attention. Also consider the highly manipulative editing that takes place.

Patches 03:41 PM 04-02-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
I voted scripted but I think it's somewhere in between.
This is what I think, too
Lyss 04:20 PM 04-02-2013
I agree its somewhere in between but I feel like lately there are more and more that are coached or scripted but are advertised as "real."

That motorcycle club one (devil's something) and the Amish Mafia really bug me because they are on Discovery (I'm pretty sure anyway ) and a lot of people will think "oh its on Discovery" and assume its correct . They also did a Mermaid "documentary" about finding an actual body, DH had to look it up online because it looked so legit and there was no mention of it being a spoof or faked show. Everything was presented as fact.

Originally Posted by Bookworm:
I think the actors are heavily coached. Also consider the highly manipulative editing that takes place.
I think the more "realistic" reality shows are very much edited and manipulated to make things look way worse/dramatic!
Tags:reality shows, television
Reply Up