Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Y'all Go Make Me Lose My Mind...
TXhomedaycare 10:38 AM 12-21-2016
3 yo dcb walks up to me scratching his chest and nec and said "I itch". I tell him to come here and let me check it out. He has medium-sized cluster of red dots next to his nipple and a trail of red dots on his chest. I immediately text mom and she said she saw and few yesterday and saw him scratchin this morning on the way in. Dcm asks if they are flea bites because she has the pest control people coming out tomorrow . This is the dcb that was sleeping with his cat and brought fleas to my house last month .. I told mom they don't look like flea bites but to come and get him. She texts me on her way here saying dad has been staying in hotel room with bed bugs and she thinks they have them (dad works a few days on and a few days off and has been staying in the same hotel room for a while and has been home a few times recently and has to change hotel rooms due to bed bugs). I cannot believe once again mom did not try and find out what was wrong before bringing him. She treats everything like it is not a big deal and asked me what is wrong with him or assumes he is fine. I have had this issue since he started and had a double ear infection. I guess this is more of a vent but I reallyou don't know what to do about this. They are a good family (pay on time follow the other rules) but since dad is out of town most of the time it is just mom and she either seems like she just wants to get to work or acts like a first time mom who assumes everything is fine (not really in tune with her child's needs or issues). Everytime she has brought him and I send him home or he has an issue she has known about it or assumes he was ok. I think if I termed them she would be shocked because she really doesn't seem to get how bad these issues are but after closing for 2 today's due to fleas I am over this.
Mom2Two 11:13 AM 12-21-2016
You have got to get rid of him NOW (I mean like call for pick up) and don't let them back in your house. I hope it's not too late.
Getting rid of bed bugs is nothing like getting rid of fleas or lice. The eggs are dormant for up to 18 months. You have to have a pest control company seal and heat your whole house for a long time. It costs thousands.

My MIL went through this a few years ago, because BIL owned a hotel and some old mattresses got brought to MIL's house.

I'm not joking. If you get bedbugs and have to have the treatment, you won't be able to save anything from your house unless you seal it and store it for 18 months, including photos and things that will be ruined by the heat treatment.

I hope you can work this out. But don't mess with bedbugs. The family probably won't understand.
Mom2Two 11:19 AM 12-21-2016
But if dcb has bites on his chest, that would only come from having a bad infestation where he actually sleeps. It's pretty rare for residential houses to get bedbugs.
daycarediva 11:24 AM 12-21-2016
BED BEGS ARE NO JOKE. I am STILL paying for a pest control company to do repeat inspections and it has been WELL over a year when a dcb brought one in on his bag. That child is halfway through kindergarten now, and I am STILL dealing with this mess. We have NOT had any bed bugs or bed bug signs (no bites, no stains on sheets), but again, eggs are dormant for up to two years according to the bug guy.

It has cost me a TON of money. We put in all high end mattress protectors, pillow protectors, I replaced all sheets and pillowcases with white, traps on beds, the bug guy can't even guarantee the house AT ALL, ever. SO everytime he comes back out he charges (we have him come monthly, because the earlier, the better)

Yup, no. They would be GONE, today.

Fleas are still a HUGE pita. I have a dog and a few outdoor barn cats. Their monthly treatments are expensive alone. We have never had to go through the expense of treating the house because thankfully, despite the neighbors cat crawling with them, we have been flea free.
Josiegirl 02:35 PM 12-21-2016
Yikes??!! Bed bugs are that bad to get rid of?? I knew they were terrible but it makes me want to never ever let another living person through my front door. Ever again.

Since fleas and bed bugs have been mentioned, no chance it's scabies is it? Probably not but just wanted to throw that our there.
Good luck. I'd be likely to let them go as it sounds like the dcf may be an ongoing expensive thorn in your side. Do other dcfs bring fleas from your house to theirs because if so, that may not set well either. You might lose business.
TXhomedaycare 02:49 PM 12-21-2016
Dcm just text me that they did not find any bed bugs (they meaning her and her mother) but they are going to wash everything and pest control is coming out tomorrow. She wants dcb to come for half a day tomorrow but we still don't know what those bumps are. Do you let a child come with a small rash on his chest? I'm thinking no but I just don't trust their family anymore.
Claraskids 03:18 PM 12-21-2016
Until a doctor has diagnosed the rash and/or pest control has cleared her house (and you've seen the paper proving both); little boy does not set foot in your home. It is not only a risk to your home, but also to your business! If it is bed bugs, fleas, or anything contagious that could spread - you could lose every single family over this one child.
LysesKids 03:49 PM 12-21-2016
Originally Posted by TXhomedaycare:
Dcm just text me that they did not find any bed bugs (they meaning her and her mother) but they are going to wash everything and pest control is coming out tomorrow. She wants dcb to come for half a day tomorrow but we still don't know what those bumps are. Do you let a child come with a small rash on his chest? I'm thinking no but I just don't trust their family anymore.
A child with an undiagnosed rash does not come back without written paperwork... since the parents think it's bugs, I would want proof of that also - my home, my business, my rules
Josiegirl 04:04 PM 12-21-2016
Should you take him? Not after having a previous problem with flea infestation with them. It'll cost you far more to get rid of any type of bugs than you'll make. It's a different call, for me anyways, if it's bug bites or a small rash. A small rash that will stay covered(can cover with bandages) and is only in 1 area, then I'd probably let them come for half a day. But if there is any question in your mind of bug bites, I'd say don't chance it. SO not worth it.
laundrymom 04:15 PM 12-21-2016
Nope. This would get an immediate termination.

Like. Send his things home today.

Maybe
"Due to repeated undiagnosed rashes and bites paired with lack of parental concern at possibility of spreading pest infestation to providers home, childcare is terminated immediately.
Josiegirl 02:10 AM 12-22-2016
Originally Posted by laundrymom:

Maybe
"Due to repeated undiagnosed rashes and bites paired with lack of parental concern at possibility of spreading pest infestation to providers home, childcare is terminated immediately.
Best answer yet. You will be relieved. Just imagine.
childcaremom 03:17 AM 12-22-2016
Originally Posted by laundrymom:

Maybe

This is exactly what I would do, too. I would have his stuff bagged and sitting outside my home. I would be cleaning like a fiend, vacuuming, mopping, wiping, etc.

Not something I would want to deal with once, let alone another time.
Tags:bed bugs
Reply Up