Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Subsidized Lunches
Unregistered 10:31 AM 01-23-2018
I'm working a trial at a daycare today, and this is the menu so far:

Breakfast: A piece of a white flour bagel. Kids have option of whether to have margarine on the bagel or not. Water or milk to drink (kid's choice).

Lunch: Two waffles, hash browns. Choice of yogurt or canned fruit (peaches, pineapple, or applesauce). Water or milk to drink.

The milk has to be sniffed to test for spoilage as it's 3 days past the posted expiration date (which I thought meant it's ok to drink in your own home, but you're not supposed to serve it to kids).

I just cannot believe this menu is approved! I get that many kids don't eat vegetables (often because many parents just assume they won't eat them, so they don't bother trying), but the fact that they aren't even SERVED?!

This is the kind of lunch I'm used to the kids being served:

Chicken nuggets (Baked beans for vegetarians)
Green beans
Brown Rice
Fruit
Milk

Substitutions aren't made for picky eaters. The kids eat what is given to them. The ONLY substitutions are for documented dietary restrictions. The kids don't have to eat it, but they are still served all of the MyPlate Components if possible (ie: a child with a dairy allergy, obviously won't have a cup of milk to drink, but a child who isn't allowed to eat turkey will have an extra slice of cheese on her sandwich to make up for the lack of meat).
hwichlaz 10:33 AM 01-23-2018
While that is certainly a cruddy menu, and it does NOT meat meal pattern requirements for the USDA food program (unless breakfast is being counted as morning snack)......

Milk does NOT have an expiration date. It has a sell-by date. And if it smells fine, it's fine.
hwichlaz 10:34 AM 01-23-2018
and substitutions should not be made for picky eaters. It teaches them that they can continue to be picky.
hwichlaz 10:38 AM 01-23-2018
https://fns-prod.azureedge.net/sites...CFP_MealBP.pdf

That's the current meal pattern, though it doesn't make it clear that two veggies can be served instead of a veggie and a fruit at lunch and dinner.
Unregistered 10:52 AM 01-23-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
While that is certainly a cruddy menu, and it does NOT meat meal pattern requirements for the USDA food program (unless breakfast is being counted as morning snack)......

Milk does NOT have an expiration date. It has a sell-by date. And if it smells fine, it's fine.

State inspectors around here would cite us if they saw milk past it's sell-by date in the refrigerator. I've gotten in trouble for "expired" CHEERIOS in the past.
Unregistered 10:57 AM 01-23-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
https://fns-prod.azureedge.net/sites...CFP_MealBP.pdf

That's the current meal pattern, though it doesn't make it clear that two veggies can be served instead of a veggie and a fruit at lunch and dinner.
2 ounces of meat or meat alternative for adults?

You're kidding me, right?
hwichlaz 10:58 AM 01-23-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
State inspectors around here would cite us if they saw milk past it's sell-by date in the refrigerator. I've gotten in trouble for "expired" CHEERIOS in the past.
Mine's always past it's date because I shop once a month and stick it in the freezer. It's never been a problem.
hwichlaz 11:00 AM 01-23-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
2 ounces of meat or meat alternative for adults?

You're kidding me, right?
Yeah, it's not much for an adult.....however. Most adults that are being served on the food program are elderly. And I've noticed, most old folks don't eat much.

Remember, it's a MINIMUM requirement. The adult programs I've worked in though, serve 4 ounces. Which is the size of a deck of cards.
hwichlaz 11:01 AM 01-23-2018
Oh, and ounce equivalent and actual ounces aren't always the same thing. For example, if your meat alternate is yogurt....8 ounces of yogurt = 2 ounces of meat.
Josiegirl 02:13 AM 01-24-2018
Are they on the food program? Is so, I'd report them anonymously. Do they have a menu posted for parents? Does it coincide with what's served? IOW do parents know what their child is being fed? Is the center covering up? Lots of things to consider here, whether it's fraud, laziness. I believe you can report anonymously. And I'd also look for a different place to work; it feels very sketchy to me. Just curious what's on the menu for another day? PP is right that it's allowable but terrible, by the food program. IMO I think the FP should have more rules on things like hash browns and frozen potato products(maybe they did change it?). I only serve sweet potatoes(never white) once in awhile because it feels like so many starches in one meal counting them as a veggie.
Tags:lunch, subsidy
Reply Up