Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Kind Of OT: School Breakfast Program
kitkat 02:57 PM 08-30-2013
Our school received a grant to provide breakfast in the classroom. I was reading over the menu and I'm confused. I'm hoping someone who does the food program can explain this to me...one of the days, the menu is animal crackers, string cheese, apple, milk. Another day has something similar except its graham crackers instead if animal crackers. What component would graham/animal crackers fill? I'm guessing a grain? Thank you!
Blackcat31 03:06 PM 08-30-2013
Grains. Anything cracker or bread s grain. Breakfast needs to contain, a grain, a fruit or veggie and milk.
Cat Herder 03:10 PM 08-30-2013
Originally Posted by kitkat:
animal crackers, string cheese, apple, milk. graham crackers instead if animal crackers. What component would graham/animal crackers fill? I'm guessing a grain? Thank you!
Those sound more like the snack menu Odd.

But, yes according to the food program those are grains. Ketchup still counts as a vegetable in some districts, too....

There are whole grain alternative animal shaped **crackers** and graham flavored **crackers** (also iron fortified), but they are more expensive that the usual $$ allowance for a large group, IME.
LK5kids 03:12 PM 08-30-2013
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Those sound more like the snack menu Odd.

But, yes according to the food program those are grains. Ketchup still counts as a vegetable in some districts, too....

There are whole grain alternative animal **crackers** and graham **crackers** (also iron fortified), but they are more expensive that the usual $$ allowance for a large group, IME.
Oh no! Ketchup is still a veggie
kitkat 03:22 PM 08-30-2013
Thanks ladies! I knew someone would have the answer

Cat Herder....I agree that it sounds more like a snack menu. Most of the other days were more breakfasty. I just kept staring at it and wondering why crackers at breakfast. It just seems like there could be better choices, but since it's eaten in the classroom, I'm guessing that they are trying to find things super quick to eat with not a ton of mess. But still, animal crackers at breakfast?
itlw8 06:43 PM 08-30-2013
There are animal crackers they are harder and puffy ( my favorite) and then there are animal cookies that have more sugar and are softer like the ones I used to get in the little box as a child. It sounds seird but I bet they have less sugar than many cereals
AfterSchoolMom 08:02 AM 09-02-2013
My kids' schools serve donut holes just about every day, so that sounds great to me!
Tags:breakfast, breakfast program
Reply Up