Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Why Is It So Hard To Remember To Pay Me???
LeslieG 06:18 AM 10-11-2013
I'm so annoyed when parents forget to bring a check on Fridays!! I try to help them remember by emailing weekly statements. Don't get me wrong, I've had parents that have been really good at always bringing a check, but then there are those that can't seem to ever remember... so then they end up paying me on Monday (if they remember!).

I know I'm too nice.. I just feel weird saying "Umm.. did you bring a check?" How do you handle late payments? Am I the only one who feels uncomfortable with this??
coolconfidentme 06:35 AM 10-11-2013
When they hand you a check late, hand it back & say, "Oh you must have forgot your late fee." Just stand there & smile. If they argue about you not charging in the past say, "Too many people are taking advantage of my good nature, I'm sure you understand." Don't forget to smile again. It really works!!
CedarCreek 06:40 AM 10-11-2013
Yes, I feel very uncomfortable asking for my check. But the point is, I shouldn't have to. It's owed to me.

But I do it anyway.

I'd rather be awkward and paid than nice and broke.
snbauser 06:41 AM 10-11-2013
You need to make it costly and inconvenient for them to pay late. If you don't, then they will continue. It sucks to have to be the "mean" one but you will only have to do it once.
BumbleBee 06:44 AM 10-11-2013
Had a parent txt me earlier today:

"Whoops, forgot to give (dcd) the check!" (Dcd was dropping off)

I txted back:

"Whoops, forgot to answer the door."

Silence....then......

"Dcd will bring a check."

Thought so. :-)
CedarCreek 06:45 AM 10-11-2013
Oh, I charge 10 dollars a day for everyday payment is late. The only time I wave it is if there is some sort of emergency.
CedarCreek 06:46 AM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by Trummynme:

I txted back:

Silence....then......

You are cracking me up this morning!
Shell 06:54 AM 10-11-2013

I txted back:

Silence....then......

Love it!
Blackcat31 06:55 AM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by LeslieG:
I'm so annoyed when parents forget to bring a check on Fridays!! I try to help them remember by emailing weekly statements. Don't get me wrong, I've had parents that have been really good at always bringing a check, but then there are those that can't seem to ever remember... so then they end up paying me on Monday (if they remember!).

I know I'm too nice.. I just feel weird saying "Umm.. did you bring a check?" How do you handle late payments? Am I the only one who feels uncomfortable with this??
It can definitely be uncomfortable but here is how I handle that situation;

DCP: "Ugh, I forgot my checkbook. Can I just pay you on Monday?"

Me: "Sure! No problem, but please remember to add $30 to your balance to cover the late fee. It will also be due AT drop off or I won't be able to care for Jimmy that day. Thanks."

What usually happens...

DCP "Oh..well I can run home and grab it so I will bring you a check at pick up"

If that doesn't happen, I simply make up another invoice for the with the late fees added and present it upon pick up. I also copy the section of my handbook that states late fess multiply with each occurrence and that termination will occur after 3 late payments.

Usually puts a stop to any late payments.

I haven't had a late payment in several years now.
Unregistered 07:05 AM 10-11-2013

I txted back:

Silence....then......

Haha!!!
LeslieG 07:09 AM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Me: "Sure! No problem, but please remember to add $30 to your balance to cover the late fee. It will also be due AT drop off or I won't be able to care for Jimmy that day. Thanks."

What usually happens...

DCP "Oh..well I can run home and grab it so I will bring you a check at pick up"

If that doesn't happen, I simply make up another invoice for the with the late fees added and present it upon pick up. I also copy the section of my handbook that states late fess multiply with each occurrence and that termination will occur after 3 late payments.

I love that! I have parents ask me if they can just bring it Monday all the time!! Thanks for your advice!
jenn 07:31 AM 10-11-2013
I have one that said she ran out of checks, so she couldn't pay until her checks came in. I told her cash would be fine, and she was irritated. She did go get the cash though.
Fast forward about 4 months and we still do the same song and dance every Friday. The checks have mysteriously never come in, she forgot her debit card, forgot to stop by the bank, forgot it was Friday,...each week she is told Monday will be fine, just add $20 for late fees and she huffs off and returns with the money.
Craziness. Thankfully, my other parents are awesome at remembering and paying on time!
Blackcat31 07:35 AM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by jenn:
I have one that said she ran out of checks, so she couldn't pay until her checks came in. I told her cash would be fine, and she was irritated. She did go get the cash though.
Fast forward about 4 months and we still do the same song and dance every Friday. The checks have mysteriously never come in, she forgot her debit card, forgot to stop by the bank, forgot it was Friday,...each week she is told Monday will be fine, just add $20 for late fees and she huffs off and returns with the money.
Craziness. Thankfully, my other parents are awesome at remembering and paying on time!
First late payment = a late fee
Second late payment = double the late fee
Third late payment = possible termination

...if you don't want to term, just continue doubling the late fees.

Parents RARELY, if ever, make more than 2 late payments.
Soccermom 09:25 AM 10-11-2013

I know right!! Imagine if their boss *forgot* to pay them!

I have hooks in my entrance that have each DCK's name on them. Above each hook there is a little envelope and every Friday morning I place a Bright Pink Sticky Note that says Pay Day on the envelope because I had soooo many DCPS forget to pay all the time. One week no one paid me! I was so mad and too awkward about asking for my money. Getting paid by DCPS is always so weird anyway. They are never quite sure how to hand it to you....it is strange. Just hand me the cash and take your kid...it is not rocket science!

Each DCP is now required to place the pink sticky along with the money inside the envelope at pick up on friday. That way I don't have to say did you bring my money? If the sticky note stays there after they have left on Friday I remove it and place it on a 10$ late fee invoice. I just hand it to them on Monday morning when they arrive.

Sometimes they will see the sticky note and say - Oh no! I forgot my purse, wallet, checkbook, to stop at the bank machine or my husband was supposed to pick up, the money is sitting on the counter....blah blah blah! I just say the envelopes stay hung up until 6h30 PM (I close at 5H15) so you still have time to avoid a late fee

My contract states that there is a max 5 day late charge at 5$ per day and after 5 days childcare will be suspended until payment is received in full along with the 25$ late charge.

The payment envelopes just make my life sooooo much easier. I have only had to hand out late charges twice in 6 months. Before, people just paid me when they felt like it.
AfterSchoolMom 09:48 AM 10-11-2013
I had this problem with parents ALL. THE. TIME.

Forgetting once, I can see. After that, though...they haven't really forgotten, they're just hoping you won't say anything.

Definitely attach a hefty late fee, no pay no stay, and three strikes, you're out.
Maria2013 09:51 AM 10-11-2013
I know I'm too nice.. I just feel weird saying "Umm.. did you bring a check?"
I had to get used to saying that too, speaking for my DCP I can see it's not done on purpose, they just simply forget so I don't take it personally I just simply give a reminder and usually that's all it takes...I'm to blame for not asking late Fees so I can't complain
Brooksie 09:53 AM 10-11-2013

What usually happens...

This is exactly what I do. Let them know payment on Monday is fine but to add the late fee to the tuition, if check is not brought, dcb/g will not be accepted for care that day. My late fee is $10.00 per weekday and it doubles on the weekends.
Leanna 10:01 AM 10-11-2013

So what do you guys do with all of the "Can I pay you next week because we had to get a part for the car?" "It is a tight month...can you hold the check for a week?" and etc. etc.

I want to be understanding but at the same time, why is day care the one area where some parents feel it is ok to cut cost corners/pay late/get free service and then pay? I have families who pay me every Friday, no questions ask and then I have a couple where it is always something.

Also, what about those families that DO always pay with no issues. If they asked just once or twice a year if they could pay late due to hardship so you allow it or do you stick to your policy no matter what?
Blackcat31 10:09 AM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by Leanna:
So what do you guys do with all of the "Can I pay you next week because we had to get a part for the car?" "It is a tight month...can you hold the check for a week?" and etc. etc.

"I'm sorry to hear that. The late fee still applies though as I have a car (or fill in the blank) to pay for too."

I want to be understanding but at the same time, why is day care the one area where some parents feel it is ok to cut cost corners/pay late/get free service and then pay? I have families who pay me every Friday, no questions ask and then I have a couple where it is always something.

I make sure parents know UPON ENROLLMENT that I DO understand that life happens and I DO feel empathy for them when stuff happens beyond their control but it still isn't MY responsibility. Like you said....it's always daycare that gets put at the bottom of the list for things to pay.

The way I look at it, is you can still go to work if they shut off your power but you can't go to work if you don't have someone to care for your child.

Also, what about those families that DO always pay with no issues. If they asked just once or twice a year if they could pay late due to hardship so you allow it or do you stick to your policy no matter what?
The families that have built a long standing relationship with me and have always been good about paying me DO get "special" treatment but ONLY if I am in the position to do so. I will never let someone else's situation be MORE important than what I have going on financially....but I have made payment exceptions in the past for those "golden" that show respect and consideration for what I do.
Maria2013 10:30 AM 10-11-2013
The families that have built a long standing relationship with me and have always been good about paying me DO get "special" treatment but ONLY if I am in the position to do so. I will never let someone else's situation be MORE important than what I have going on financially....but I have made payment exceptions in the past for those "golden" that show respect and consideration for what I do.

coolconfidentme 10:31 AM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by trummynme:
had a parent txt me earlier today:

"whoops, forgot to give (dcd) the check!" (dcd was dropping off)

i txted back:

"whoops, forgot to answer the door."

silence....then......

"dcd will bring a check."

thought so. :-)
bahahaha!!!!
LK5kids 11:06 AM 10-11-2013
I am uncomfortable too, but I ask for it. I have super, super parents but a few times they began to leave w/out paying and I stepped right in and requested it. I also let them know payment on Monday is NOT okay. They are required to go get a check and come back.
jenn 02:15 PM 10-11-2013

I really like that plan! Thankfully, the mom has never really been late, she pays every Friday. She just always has some song and dance about why she doesn't have the money, then leaves and comes back with it before closing. She's smart enough to not get charged the late fee, but I guess just wants to feel it out each week to see if I'm serious.
Unregistered 03:00 PM 10-11-2013
I had this problem ALL THE TIME at my old daycare, but when I moved to a new city and opened a new daycare with all new, highly-trainable parents, I changed my contract. It is a prepaid contract only. Just like minutes on a prepaid phone...they can pay ahead as many weeks as they'd like, but I absolutely will not work unless there is money on the account. The very first day they start they owe me for that week.

This has been a huge help both to me and to the parents because I have NO late fees and accept NO excuses. They know the rules and absolutely no one has attempted to break them in the last 2 years. A few times they have been grumpy because they had to turn around and find an atm at 7 am, but it is SO much less stress for me.

I have a spreadsheet that, when they pay me any amount, we sign a receipt together and make a note about when the next payment will be due. So simple.

Good luck, I totally feel your pain. Especially when you really like the families you have to be hard on.
TwinKristi 03:02 PM 10-11-2013
So is up front payment not common on here? I really don't know any providers who take a check at the end of the week because of this. Doing month or bi-weekly invoices to pay for upcoming services makes life so much easier. I'm going to try and do an invoice system and new contract after the 1st of the year since SO many things have changed in the last 2 months. The only kids who pay after services are a family with a year round schedule and I watch them a few days a week when dad can't but it's never a for sure thing and they're SA so it's not contracted care.
I had one mom, a friend of mine for 20yrs, and she was the worst at paying. Only once in 18mos did she pay me on the first day for the whole month and maybe twice did she pay two timely payments in the month. I sent reminder texts and friendly requests at drop off and she forgot or left her checkbook or the ATM wasn't working. 18 months! You would think I was happy to see them go last month! LOL One mom always pays on time for the month for our contracted 4 days and pays for occasional drop-in 5th day but usually does at pick up. She forgot once last month for 2 days and then forgot to sign the check she finally remembered. I didn't charge a late fee because I appreciate the extra days and I know she wasn't trying to pull a fast one plus prepaid for the contracted days. My other mom makes 2 payments a month and once her mom forgot to pay for a couple days she usually watches him and I know they just forgot. But after the first of the year I think I'm going to get serious about late payments.
SSWonders 03:16 PM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
So is up front payment not common on here?
I get payment on Friday for the following week's care. I've learned the hard way to refuse care without payment. Two years ago I was shorted $1,000 by one set of parents and $600 by another. Complicated situations with both of them. Tried small claims court with both but they somehow disappeared into the wind. Without an address to find them you can't move forward with the claim. Never again.
daycare 03:22 PM 10-11-2013
I used to be like you and not able to speak up. that was until one day, NOT ONE parent paid me when they were supposed to. That day I typed up an email and sent it out to every parent...

I said something along the lines of........(not ecaxt words)

Today, no one paid their tuition fee. Which I am very shocked, after all, I do send each and everyone of you an invoice on the 15th of each month. As you are all aware, in our contract that you signed when you enrolled, you all agreed to pay a $50 late fee should you pay late. Just like any other business, if you pay late, you are subject to a late fee.

I am very upset that I have been put in this situation as I am here every day right on time each and every single day so that you can go to work. The job that you need to have so that you can provide for your family. NOT once have I ever been late for you, I am always here when you need me. I just don't understand why it should be ok for everyone to pay me when it is convenient for them because if I only opened my childcare business when it was convenient for me, you would be here knocking down my door. You all know that I am very flexible and easy going, a way that I would have liked to have been able to keep it. BUt if I don't make the necessary changes, there won't be a ABC childcare anymore.

Upon arrival on Monday, please attach a $50. late fee to your tuition. If you do not have your tuition, your child will not be able to attend until all childcare fees are paid in full.

Love your DCP

After I sent the letter out, I got a ton of apologies, which I did not respond to. Everyone paid the late fee, and so far other than new enrollments that have taken place since that letter went out two years ago, I have not had anyone pay late.........

bottom line is if you don't take action, don't expect anything to change..........
Maria2013 08:44 PM 10-11-2013
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
So is up front payment not common on here?
I get paid up front
Unregistered 06:06 AM 10-14-2013
I am a parent who is a former dcp.I HATED asking for my $ from parents but I also know that as a parent I honestly forget. So when my kids started with a new sitter. I flat out said. "I will ALWAYS pay you and I ALWAYS have the $ but I honestly am the most forgetful parent ever.PLEASE remind me if I forget to pay you.I will run home and get the money or checkbook." I am just a ding dong.When we had my former provider I would pick up my kids,get in my van,drive home,then I would turn around in the driveway and tell the kids"mommy forgot to give Miss Carla the check put your seat belts back on" lol It was never intentional I'm just a moron!
Unregistered 06:07 AM 10-14-2013
sorry i shouldn't say "sitter" I meant daycare provider.Here in our town "sitter" is a common term.Sorry about that.
momofboys 06:34 AM 10-14-2013
I used to use a daycare provider years & years ago & we never once forgot to pay - I mean do you forget your mortgage payment, your electrical bill, etc? I find it unacceptable to "forget" the daycare payment if you are always timely with these other important payments. My current daycare families are pretty good about payment & only one past client did I ever have issues with. Funny thing was that was the client who appeared to be pretty well off - but she was always "forgetting" to bring the check.
Cradle2crayons 06:46 AM 10-14-2013
Originally Posted by momofboys:
I used to use a daycare provider years & years ago & we never once forgot to pay - I mean do you forget your mortgage payment, your electrical bill, etc? I find it unacceptable to "forget" the daycare payment if you are always timely with these other important payments. My current daycare families are pretty good about payment & only one past client did I ever have issues with. Funny thing was that was the client who appeared to be pretty well off - but she was always "forgetting" to bring the check.
Funny but I have forgot to pay the Internet and water bills a few times but when I used daycare years ago, I never forgot to pay them. I may not be the most organized related to x things, but when it comes to my kids, they each have their own calendar lol.
Unregistered 07:35 AM 10-14-2013
Im the parent from early who said I truly forget to pay sometimes.The dcp I have now knows that I mean it,I live 2 blocks from her so I will literally run home in 5 min and turn around and come back. But I did used to have parents who I know didn't forget,just wanted more time to pay the bill.Sometimes she tets me,did you forget?I say yep my dh will pay at pick up if I forgot at drop off. I hate that I do it because my kids are very important to me and I know her value.I just get on my way to work with my mind in different places.I should also add that I have anxiety disorder.
Blackcat31 07:46 AM 10-14-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Im the parent from early who said I truly forget to pay sometimes.The dcp I have now knows that I mean it,I live 2 blocks from her so I will literally run home in 5 min and turn around and come back. But I did used to have parents who I know didn't forget,just wanted more time to pay the bill.Sometimes she tets me,did you forget?I say yep my dh will pay at pick up if I forgot at drop off. I hate that I do it because my kids are very important to me and I know her value.I just get on my way to work with my mind in different places.I should also add that I have anxiety disorder.
I totally understand forgetting sometimes. We all do it. We are all human.

The difference between you and other forgetful parents is that you are obviously open to communicating.

9 out of 10 times a little communication would have solved the issue entirely.

It's the parents who forget because they don't care, respect and/or appreciate their provider that we vent about.
Unregistered 08:03 AM 10-14-2013
Originally Posted by SSWonders:
I get payment on Friday for the following week's care. I've learned the hard way to refuse care without payment. Two years ago I was shorted $1,000 by one set of parents and $600 by another. Complicated situations with both of them. Tried small claims court with both but they somehow disappeared into the wind. Without an address to find them you can't move forward with the claim. Never again.
I now had to move the pay day to Thursday, parents were having problems paying on Fridays in advance of care for he following TWO weeks.
Rockgirl 09:12 AM 10-14-2013
I used to feel uncomfortable asking, until my husband pointed something. As soon as I say, "Did you bring your payment?", the awkwardness is on them. They know they owe--I'm not asking for anything crazy--just what I'm owed! Let them deal with feeling uncomfortable--not me.
DCMom 10:34 AM 10-14-2013

I txted back:

Silence....then......

Love it!
Jack Sprat 11:05 AM 10-14-2013
I now require as of September all new families pre-pay for care. Everyone has been super about it. My one exception is a single mom who gets paid every two weeks. I told her we would make her payday, my payday for the portion that DCF doesn't cover.

This past summer I had one family forget to pay 3 times in 3 months. One of these times was when they took vacation and didn't let me know till the day before and failed to pay 1/2 of the weekly rate as per my contract. I still haven't seen that money and doubt I will.

I hate asking for my check. Makes me feel awkward but, I have learned I hate not being paid for the service I gave them. Be strong! It gets easier.
TomCopeland 03:28 PM 10-17-2013

One other idea: ask the parent to give you a blank check (no name, no amount, no signature). Keep it in a safe place. The next time the parent says, "I forgot my checkbook!" you say "I've got one!"

The only way fool proof way to avoid this problem is for parent to pay you at least a week in advance.
My3cents 10:47 AM 10-18-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I am a parent who is a former dcp.I HATED asking for my $ from parents but I also know that as a parent I honestly forget. So when my kids started with a new sitter. I flat out said. "I will ALWAYS pay you and I ALWAYS have the $ but I honestly am the most forgetful parent ever.PLEASE remind me if I forget to pay you.I will run home and get the money or checkbook." I am just a ding dong.When we had my former provider I would pick up my kids,get in my van,drive home,then I would turn around in the driveway and tell the kids"mommy forgot to give Miss Carla the check put your seat belts back on" lol It was never intentional I'm just a moron!
I hope that you added your late fee to Miss Carla's check with out her having to ask-

It is humiliating to have to ask to be paid for services you have provided.

I do get that "life" happens, but the best thing is to be paid a week in advance and carry out late fees-

You get to know your clients and who is flighty and truly forgets and who is just prolonging paying you because they don't have the $

I don't run my business to help others out, I run it to provide my family with a steady income. When people forget to pay me or whatever, it throws off all my bills that I have to pay-

I have great parents! but everyone one of them has had an issue when it comes to paying and I too have had issues when it comes to paying others- We all do the best we can but just pay me on time with out me asking, with out me having to chase it down by your toddler. You get to know who is genuine and who is not and then you just have to go from there. Hands down it is one of the most disliked issue for providers.
My3cents 10:52 AM 10-18-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
I used to be like you and not able to speak up. that was until one day, NOT ONE parent paid me when they were supposed to. That day I typed up an email and sent it out to every parent...

I said something along the lines of........(not ecaxt words)

Today, no one paid their tuition fee. Which I am very shocked, after all, I do send each and everyone of you an invoice on the 15th of each month. As you are all aware, in our contract that you signed when you enrolled, you all agreed to pay a $50 late fee should you pay late. Just like any other business, if you pay late, you are subject to a late fee.

I am very upset that I have been put in this situation as I am here every day right on time each and every single day so that you can go to work. The job that you need to have so that you can provide for your family. NOT once have I ever been late for you, I am always here when you need me. I just don't understand why it should be ok for everyone to pay me when it is convenient for them because if I only opened my childcare business when it was convenient for me, you would be here knocking down my door. You all know that I am very flexible and easy going, a way that I would have liked to have been able to keep it. BUt if I don't make the necessary changes, there won't be a ABC childcare anymore.

Upon arrival on Monday, please attach a $50. late fee to your tuition. If you do not have your tuition, your child will not be able to attend until all childcare fees are paid in full.

Love your DCP

After I sent the letter out, I got a ton of apologies, which I did not respond to. Everyone paid the late fee, and so far other than new enrollments that have taken place since that letter went out two years ago, I have not had anyone pay late.........

bottom line is if you don't take action, don't expect anything to change..........
I remember you going through this! What did you do for your new enrollments that changed or were they just all better clients? Good for you-

I enjoy reading responses from posters that have become stronger and a difference happened because of it.
Tags:late payment, parents - forgetful
Reply Up