Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No Soliciting!
SnowGirl 01:38 PM 03-14-2016
So, merely putting up a "no soliciting" sign doesn't always work. Some people pretend they didn't see it, or claim that they aren't soliciting (Religious door-to-door people come to mind).

I'm just wondering how (if possible) I can really get the message across to people before they ever ring my doorbell or knock. I don't want to just cover up my doorbell, and I really hate ignoring the door. Does anyone use a really good sign that lets people know to move along to the next house? I'm a little weary of saying "I have several small children, please don't disturb us", or is that too paranoid of me?

Just looking for ideas! Thanks
Thriftylady 02:13 PM 03-14-2016
When you figure it out let me know. I had three of those darn door to door meat salesmen in two weeks. I was pretty nasty to the last one. He hit me at a bad time and I was sick of it. I asked him "can't you meat sales guys even read?". I told him he was the third one in two weeks that hadn't read the sign. He said "oh that must be why people hate us". You think???
e.j. 02:52 PM 03-14-2016
How about a more specific sign like the one here:
http://www.kennebugboutique.com/pd-n...FYkkgQodTbICLg

Seriously...the only thing we found that worked to keep solicitors away was putting our large German Shepherd dog on a long run near the driveway. No one bothered us when she was out in the yard.
Baby Beluga 04:36 PM 03-14-2016
Install an intercom

We have one and I LOVE it. It allows me to answer the door without answering the door. Pick up times are contracted so if I hear a knock or the bell when I'm not expecting a parent, then I speak through the intercom.

Me: Hi, may I help you?
Salesperson: I'm selling magazines, would you like to buy some?
Me: No thank you. *click*

Unfortunately there have been reports of people knocking or ringing bells to see if someone is home. If no one answers then they attempt to break in the house. For that reason, I don't like to leave bells or knocks unanswered either.
childcaremom 05:20 PM 03-14-2016
Our doorbell is broken and I am not in a rush for it to be fixed. I answer the door for dcps and the mailman who has packages. That is it. I wave and/or ignore the others.

I have in the past put a sign on the door that between the hours of x and y is rest time. Please do not knock or ring the bell. Surprisingly it worked!
Boymom 08:09 AM 03-15-2016
I actually had to unplug my doorbell months ago because a dcb kept ringing the doorbell over and over in the morning at drop off. Like 15 times. The parents did nothing about it of course! It kept waking my baby up so I wasn't too thrilled. I haven't plugged it back in and I love it lol!!!
Blackcat31 08:46 AM 03-15-2016
I dont have a door bell but I do have a driveway sensor that alarms (beeps) when some one enters the yard or driveway.

I intercept them at the door so they dont even get a chance to knock. I just let them know I am not interested in whatever they are selling.
SnowGirl 02:59 PM 03-15-2016
I'm going to remember the alarm or intercom idea for when we move next year.

For now I might consider just covering up the bell with a sign. I wish companies would just realize that if I want a product, I'll research it online and buy it from the best company! I'll never give a stranger on my doorstep money for a product I haven't researched. Sheesh. Leave me alone!

Thanks all!
Unregistered 09:42 AM 03-16-2016
I tell them through the door I'm not interested. Most go away because of my sign though. I have my door bell covered but I've thought about disconnecting it lol
Cat Herder 02:42 PM 03-16-2016
I also have the driveway alarm and cameras but the "dangerous dog" sign works the best.

No, I don't have a dangerous dog. Two large dogs, yes. Dangerous, no. Yes, my clients love it. I tell them it is my "stranger danger" prevention sign.
Attached: dangerous dog.jpg (72.3 KB) 
MarinaVanessa 03:15 PM 03-16-2016
I WAS SERIOUSLY JUST HUFFING AND PUFFING ABOUT THIS SAME THING!!!

I was looking into getting a better sign than just "No Solicitation". These are my top pics

e.j. 06:42 PM 03-19-2016
Originally Posted by SnowGirl:
I wish companies would just realize that if I want a product, I'll research it online and buy it from the best company! I'll never give a stranger on my doorstep money for a product I haven't researched. Sheesh. Leave me alone!
I feel the same way about telemarketers!
VWMom 03:14 PM 03-20-2016
I might take slack for this, but I am just as annoyed when they are selling cookies or popcorn or school fundraisers. if I want your overpriced crap I'll buy it when I am hit up by you at the front of the grocery
Thriftylady 04:40 PM 03-20-2016
Originally Posted by VWMom:
I might take slack for this, but I am just as annoyed when they are selling cookies or popcorn or school fundraisers. if I want your overpriced crap I'll buy it when I am hit up by you at the front of the grocery
No slack from me. I got to where I wouldn't even let my kids sell the fundraiser stuff. To much being sold, to expensive and why for the love of God in this day and age are we still sending kids door to door to unknown people's homes? There are such better things they can do. Such as dinner theaters at the school.
SnowGirl 06:16 PM 03-20-2016
I'm soooo bad at saying "no" to children, and those fundraisers drive me crazy for that reason. We're poor!! I'm a daycare provider - not a lawyer

I get the importance of getting out there and pitching a product, but these products are all well known...I think there are better ways for schools to do that lesson, and yeah - better ways to fund raise.
Josiegirl 02:48 AM 03-21-2016
Haha love those signs! OP, can you move your no soliciting sign to right over your doorbell, to cover it?
I don't have a doorbell but my 2 dogs alert me to anybody or anything at the front door.

While I'm with the majority on door-to-door being extremely annoying, I also get that they're trying to earn a living too. My nephew went that route in between jobs and he detested it, found new work asap.

As for the kids still being asked to sell stuff for fundraisers, I'm not sure they're expecting kids to go to strangers' houses, but to neighbors, and friends, family. Every darn group my kids joined or even during certain school years, they were expected to sell something to raise money...wrapping paper, candy bars, cookies, cookie dough, misc. things stuffed into a box, all kinds of stuff. I'm so glad my kids are grown, just for that reason.
Play Care 06:36 AM 03-21-2016
The other week I was in the middle of an interview. I had taken them out to the backyard to show off the play sets, etc
All of the sudden a car pulls up in my driveway and a strange guy walks into my back yard

He wanted me to come to his church on Sunday

I don't even go to *my* church on Sunday

Pretty sure that was a turn off for the potential client as well

I don't mind kids selling things so much. I can politely say "no thanks!" Or more likely "I already bought some!"
SnowGirl 07:13 AM 03-21-2016
My children have yet to reach school age, so I'm sure I'll sing a different tune when the tables are turned!!

I also love these clever signs...I might get one to put on my doorbell...
SnowGirl 07:13 AM 03-21-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
The other week I was in the middle of an interview. I had taken them out to the backyard to show off the play sets, etc
All of the sudden a car pulls up in my driveway and a strange guy walks into my back yard

He wanted me to come to his church on Sunday

I don't even go to *my* church on Sunday

Pretty sure that was a turn off for the potential client as well

I don't mind kids selling things so much. I can politely say "no thanks!" Or more likely "I already bought some!"
ummm no, I would be so irritated!! (About the guy interrupting my interview).
Rockgirl 07:37 AM 03-21-2016
Our local cable company is the worst. They were coming regularly, and usually during pickup time. I always told them no. One day, I cracked open the glass door to say no--not interested, and won't be. My dog saw a neighbor walking his dogs and bolted out. I grabbed his collar, but not in time, and I ended up falling all the way down in the grass. I yelled, "D#MMIT!!" Oops.....but they haven't been back.
KarenSue 08:39 AM 03-21-2016
I have a sign on the front door side window. When someone ignores it I just point to it and don't say a word. Sometimes I ask if they can read.
Tags:solicitors
Reply Up