Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Autistic Neighbor
springv 02:33 PM 01-11-2020
Hey guys,
I have a neighbor that autistic and use to come to our center several years ago. Their house is separated by a fence and every now and then they will come into our yard when we are outside and not leave. At one time they would try to come into the house uninvited and they would try to get me to come over there to look at something. And when they would come over, they would sit REALLY close to me. Has anyone else dealt with this???
Cat Herder 05:18 AM 01-12-2020
Is this an adult or child? Does this person live independently or with a caretaker?
Ariana 08:34 AM 01-12-2020
I have had neighbour kids wanting to come into the yard when we are outside playing. I have had to explain the rules for them regarding ratios but they really don’t get it so what I do is let them know WHEN they are ALLOWED to come over.

Just because a person has ASD does not mean you cannot implement boundaries with them..if this is what you are asking
springv 04:00 PM 01-14-2020
This is exactly what I'm wondering @Ariana because they just turned 19 and still lives at home with their parents.
rosieteddy 05:08 PM 01-14-2020
I would nicely talk to the parents.Explain that licensing and or insurance does not allow unrelated adults during business hours.I would also lock gate so they can not enter.
springv 09:39 AM 01-15-2020
We don't have a gate plus they are next door neighbors with my mother
daycarediva 10:12 AM 01-15-2020
I have a disabled adult child. Where are this child's parents/caregivers during this time?

Speak to the individual, set boundaries. Put up a sign on the fence, if needed (visuals help).

Speak to parents, express concerns.

IF neither resolves the issue, I would call adult protective services for lack of supervision. My child is NEVER out of my sight when I am responsible for his care.
springv 03:23 PM 01-15-2020
His mom and dad are home usually and he usually stays with his grandparents quite often.
Tags:autistic, neighbor issue
Reply Up