Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Washing Machine Recommendations?
marsy 11:09 AM 12-07-2020
Hello!

We have a Sumsung WA510M7450A. It is only a couple years old, but the suspension rods have all snapped and this seems to be a fairly regular issue. The increased laundry required with COVID regulations has gotten us thinking about purchasing a different high capacity washing machine.

Any good recommendations for a washing machine that will last longer?

Thank you for the help!
Cat Herder 12:50 PM 12-07-2020
I tried the nicer brands but found they did not last any longer or work any better than my old GE washers/dryers.

With the amount of laundry I do, I just expect to have to replace every 3-5 years. It seems to be the norm for me (I do bedsheets twice per week and towels daily ). I usually pay about $300-$400 each new. This is the one I have now: https://www.lowes.com/pd/GE-4-6-cu-f...TAR/1000757230

I just looked online and the prices seem to be almost double right now. I suspect it has to do with the financial markets right now. Mine is less than a year old, I paid that much for the washer and dryer, combined, then.
marsy 12:55 PM 12-07-2020
Thanks for the information. Our location is a child care center. With our current safety requirements we have to wash all bedding and teacher scrubs/removable layers daily. Oh my....so much laundry every week!

I'll look at the machine you listed. Thanks!
Cat Herder 12:58 PM 12-07-2020
I got curious, so googled. Maybe my results will help you, too?

Quick Answers: When is the Best Time to Buy New Appliances?

December is a great month to buy appliances because of end-of-year sales
September and October are good months to buy most new appliances except refrigerators because new models are being released
May is a good month to buy new refrigerators
marsy 03:35 PM 12-07-2020
I hadn't even thought about the great timing of shopping for appliances during all of the end of year sales! Excellent point!
284878 04:18 PM 12-07-2020
I have an old "original" Maytag set that I got in 97, it was recommended to me not to replace to repair. If I get to the point to replace them, the repairman wants to buy them.

My husband wants to get a speed queen washer when and if we replace. They are used in laundry mats and hold up a lot better plus he found some articles about the pros of going with a basic over a more modern computerized type.

However, if you do not want basic, then I am no help since I have not bought since 97.

BTW - I have had to have 3 repairs on my dryer and had my washer greased once. I do 6-8 loads a week on average.
marsy 10:07 AM 12-08-2020
It would be nice to have an old dependable washer. That's awesome that yours has lasted this long!
I've looked at the speed queens, but haven't talked with anyone who has one.

I'm looking for a more basic model in hopes that we won't have the issues that our current "fancy" washing machine has. We just want it to clean! We run around 20 loads a week.
284878 10:45 AM 12-08-2020
Originally Posted by marsy:
It would be nice to have an old dependable washer. That's awesome that yours has lasted this long!
I've looked at the speed queens, but haven't talked with anyone who has one.

I'm looking for a more basic model in hopes that we won't have the issues that our current "fancy" washing machine has. We just want it to clean! We run around 20 loads a week.
If that is what you want, a basic machine, then check out the speed queen. I plan too when it is my time.
Josiegirl 11:53 AM 12-08-2020
First thing I was going to say was Don't get a Samsung washer. Mine is only a couple years old and I can't use one of the cycles because then it leaks, always has ever since I got it. Plus I got an agitator-less machine and I don't like it at all.

A couple years ago, My sister wanted to get a Samsung because it was cheaper but her dh wanted to get a Maytag which was higher priced. She couldn't use the hot cycle and her whole machine got all messed up, water flow wasn't working; she had to have someone come into the house and fix it, several times. The computerization on it is very touchy.

But what brand to recommend?? No clue. I don't think they make anything the way they used to and with everything computerized now, there's even more than can go wrong with it.
JMO
springv 02:10 PM 12-08-2020
We have a speedqueen and LOVE it. I finally convinced my mama to get one and so far she likes hers
284878 08:17 PM 12-08-2020
Originally Posted by springvalley112:
We have a speedqueen and LOVE it. I finally convinced my mama to get one and so far she likes hers
That is good to hear. Was it hard to find a store that sold them?
marsy 01:40 PM 12-09-2020
I've looked at the Speed Queens, but having trouble finding a store that carries one near us. I'll continue searching!
Springvalley 06:30 AM 02-04-2021
We have a speedqueen and we LOVE it!
Springvalley 06:31 AM 02-04-2021
No, we got ours in. Store in tennessee
Tags:covid cleanliness, dependable washer, washing machine
Reply Up