Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Don't Want To Watch School Age Children Anymore :(
PolkaTots 08:07 AM 11-12-2012
I want to send out a letter to parents notifying them as of Jan. 1st, I will no longer be providing care for school age children. I know this will upset 2 of my families, as they have younger siblings here. My reason for doing this is because the older ones play way too rough with toys, often breaking them, they require much more stimulation, are so much more active, they require much more food, they don't always act appropiate around the little ones, and seem to baby their siblings, causing the younger siblings to be extra whiney. My program is set up for children under age 5, and I really want to keep it that way. Although my own children are older, I don't want have to entertain school agers with their toys.

Has anyone else stopped offering school age care when a yonger sibling was in your program? How did you approach the parents about it? How did they respond?
Cat Herder 08:11 AM 11-12-2012
I stopped years ago and my life got sweeter...

I used ratios, regulations and safety equipment standards as my reasoning.

Told them my rates would have to double to provide appropriate equipment for all ages, no arguments after that.
Mom&Provider 08:20 AM 11-12-2012
I hear ya!

I don't have any great advice since I don't have school age kids full time, but I do part time for holidays, summer vacation, school closure days etc. and I notice a total shift in how all the kids act/treat each other, toys and how they behave. My smallest ones do really well for a bit, then they start to melt down as the bigger kids just won't let them do their own thing. I also notice my own son starts acting up and gets upset when the bigger kids don't want to include him in everything...its tough, so I understand why you'd want to keep happy with smaller kids.

Good luck with whatever you decide. My only advice would be to remember it's your daycare and you need to do what makes you happy! Just be prepared to find some new families IF the ones with little kids and school agers in the same family want to only worry about one care provider, since they might look elsewhere.
blandino 08:25 AM 11-12-2012
We stopped 2 years ago, and it was a great decision. The chaos I felt the school aged kids brought into the afternoons, is gone. Now it is the winding down part of or day, instead of a amped up part. Also, we don't take school aged on vacation days either. I told parents we were unable, and compared it to putting a toddler in a elementary classroom. I definitely feel it was the ought decision.
EAP 10:13 AM 11-12-2012
I offered it for one summer and it was way too much, I like having just the little ones. The only school children I care for now are my own.
countrymom 10:19 AM 11-12-2012
well I use to have no sa kids, but this year I took some of them on and they are so good (now they are 5 yrs old and one 11 yr old) but they are really good.
PolkaTots 11:04 AM 11-12-2012
It's one thing to have them consistently, but the drop in ones are the worst. I have one that I have had since she was 3. No problems with her, because she knows all the rules, easily entertained and likes to help me out, and is here every day before school. The other one is the same age, and only comes when school is out or early...she's the handfull. I constantly have to remind her of rules and keep her entertained, or she's messing in one of my kids bedrooms looking for something to play with (which is off limits here) I just started her and her little brother this past Summer.
DaisyMamma 01:11 PM 11-12-2012
I know how you feel. I felt like that last year.
This year I feel differently. SA can use the toilet, say what they want, don't whine, and if you keep them occupied they are well behaved. You have to be strict and spend as much time outside as you can.
I realized I make much more $ per hour on the SA and they are only here for a little bit.

The key is being strict. There is NO running inside, NO screaming and NO horsing around. If you do it you get sat at the counter with your homework. If you don't have any I supply coloring or printed homework sheets.
I also created a "big kids room" this year. There's not much in there so they don't make a mess and they all play in there nicely. One broken rule and their OUT of there for the day.

You might also find that its only one or two kids causing all the chaos. Try terming them first.
Countrygal 04:18 AM 11-13-2012
I know the feeling, but being certified I can only take three children and have a hard time staying full, so I would be afraid to lose the family I have by not taking their SAgers. Mine are good kids, tho.

One thing I've found works pretty good are board games. Kids don't play these much any more at home, and when given the chance to learn and play them at DC they have a blast! I also have a keyboard they are allowed to mess around with, as long as they treat it nicely. Usually one of the three of them is on the keyboard every day. The other two are usually watching a movie or playing a board game. The movies are rare, because they are only allowed to watch DC movies (Sesame Street, THomas, Clifford, etc). Not a favorite.

On days off school I usually plan a cooking and craft day. I plan it ahead. Half the time one parent will decide to stay home and I don't even have to use it, but I always like to be prepared......
LK5kids 05:03 AM 11-13-2012
Years ago when I was licensed in Iowa I could take six preschoolers and five school-age. I liked that I stayed connected to the kids afer they went to school. I could have up to 11 total before/after school. I never had that many in the morning but I did after school and in the summer. For some strange reason the school kids worked out so well. NEVER any problem.

That said, I do see where SA kids could be a big problem. They are sometimes hard to entertain. It does sound like you would be happier without them. I hope this works out for you. Caring for children all day is hard enough and then put a group of kids that are not working into the mix and look out! Good LUCK!!!
countrymom 05:30 AM 11-13-2012
I found that you have to keep up with what they like to play with. So in my house they are allowed to bring their electronic games. They love to play with (ds connect) with each other, or they play the wii, even if they don't have a remote they all love to play Just dance. It really depends on the kids, I had one that was so bad that he wrecked it for everyone. I had one kid who sat and watched tv all day, he didn't want to do anything, which was fine by his mom because thats all he did at home (he was just that type of kid, liked to be by himself) I would get rid of the problem kid.
crazydaycarelady 06:44 AM 11-13-2012
I stopped years ago too and things are way better!

At the time the state started a new rule that kids would have to be picked up at school, or dropped off the bus within site of the dcp house. My afterschool kids were walking to my house and it was about 3 blocks so I could not see them. I took that as my big opportunity to be done with ASs.

daycarediva 06:51 AM 11-13-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
I found that you have to keep up with what they like to play with. So in my house they are allowed to bring their electronic games. They love to play with (ds connect) with each other, or they play the wii, even if they don't have a remote they all love to play Just dance. It really depends on the kids, I had one that was so bad that he wrecked it for everyone. I had one kid who sat and watched tv all day, he didn't want to do anything, which was fine by his mom because thats all he did at home (he was just that type of kid, liked to be by himself) I would get rid of the problem kid.
How do you separate them from the littles? I don't do TV but I have NOOOOO way to keep SA dcg quiet unless I put a tv in front of her or video game in her hand (even then she talks INCESSANTLY through the whole show/game). Mom approved 15 minutes of tv and/or game time a day (although at home it's unlimited ). I let her play or watch during naps, which works ok but during circle time and when I NEED to direct my attention just to the littles she tries to 'assist' and it is NOT helpful AT ALL. Yesterday during circle she got the littles up running around screaming during circle time.
littlemissmuffet 06:57 AM 11-13-2012
I have the opposite problem... I don't want to watch infants/toddlers anymore! I can't wait to make the move to strictly SA care!!! But I understand that mixing SA w/ littles is really tough.

Personally, I think parents need to understand and accept that like any other business, we need to make changes from time to time and it isn't personal. You know what works best for you and your program, and if you need to restructure then so be it!
I would prepare to lose some siblings - you might not lose anybody, but it's always best to prepare. Personally, I wouldn't want to deal with two different daycares/programs, so I would look for something where the siblings could stay together... I'd imagine there are other parents like this as well.
I know of many cases where siblings are seperated for one reason or another and parents have no issues with it - so really, you could get some mixed reactions here.
Regardless, I wouldn't be too considered - like I said, it's not personal, it's a business decision!
itlw8 08:10 AM 11-13-2012
I have but not in the middle of a school year. I did agree to take 2 1st graders last year and they are a joy but after school only I do not have room on school holidays. I can haelp on emergency school closings like snow day

Most of my toys work for multiple age groups. magna tiles, unit blocks, books, ( they often read to the littles. they LOVE spiral notebooks and will spend hours writing and drawing.

We have a great Ycare program at the school but last year it was full when they moved to town. It worked so well I have them back and their younger brother BUT not in the summer . They are too old for my full day program.
Country Kids 02:13 PM 11-13-2012
I love my SA's!

They can do so much more then the littles: watch a movie, craft projects (extensive) play board games with me, bathroom on their own, better about covering for sneezes/coughs, etc.
Reply Up