Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Am I Wrong??
Patches 09:00 PM 12-30-2012
So I got a call from a family needing care for an infant. Ok I tell her I have a spot and she asks my rate, I tell her. Then she asks my hours and I tell her (6:30 am- 6:00 pm) She says, "oh, well we both work til 6 so it would be like 6:30 or so before we could pick up" So I told her, you know, sorry, it won't work and all that stuff and we get off the phone. So I then tell my DH about the phone call and he got upset that I didn't make an exception for this person. I mean, I get that I need to enroll some families but if I do 30 minutes here then I feel like that would trn into an hour or more! and I feel like 11 and a half hours is a good amount of time to be open.
Anyway, my question is was I wrong to turn this family away over 30 minutes??
CozyHome 09:14 PM 12-30-2012
Wow, you are working long, long days! My dckids arrive at 8am and are all gone by 4:45, then I have a couple of hous of work after that, dishes, laundry, sweeping, vacuuming, prepping food and activities for the next day. I hope you can fit all of that into your already 12 hour day!

If somebody asked me for a start date of 6am or a closing time of 6pm I wouldn't interview them, period. I am open from 8-5.
Patches 09:34 PM 12-30-2012
I just don't want to let people walk all over me. And when my dh said, "You're not doing anything after 6" I thought to myself Really?? Is it fun in that bubble you're living in? Well, I just looked at him and walked away and he didn't say anything after that
Francine 04:12 AM 12-31-2012
I am open from 8-5 but allow for a reasonalbe amount of travel time, if a potential client doesn't get out of work at 5 or before I don't take them. I want everybody out my door before 5:30 and not one minute later. For me 6:30 would be way to late.
AfterSchoolMom 04:25 AM 12-31-2012
What are your DH's work hours? Ask him if he'd like to do it.

I think you were right not to take them - you already work way longer than I would!
MamaG 04:37 AM 12-31-2012
My dh doesn't want kids here all night. I open at 6am as well but my DCG gets picked up by 3pm the latest on most days. Sometimes rarely it's a bit later. It gives me time to clean up and begin dinner before dh gets off. BUT if I really needed the income I'd take the infant. I used to be open that late and it's hard! Makes for such a long day it really sucks.
EchoMom 04:45 AM 12-31-2012
I used to work 7-6 and it was horrible, awful! I would never do it again. I now only work 7:30-5:30 and those are DEFINITE times. I do not interview anyone needing earlier or later than that. And I make it very clear at the interview I do not work until 5:32, 5:35, etc. and that if it will be too tight of a time crunch for them then I totally understand and it won't be a good fit.

I absolutely would not work until 6:30. That is your whole entire day just working working working and being on guard watching a child. Absolutely not, and IMO their parents should make changes to their schedule so their child doesn't have to be in daycare that many hours a day, that's just insane IMO.
SquirrellyMama 05:46 AM 12-31-2012
You were not wrong. Maybe tomorrow you really shouldn't do anything after 6pm and see how your dh feels

I hate it when dh's say stupid things. My dh is usually pretty good but one day he told me that I got to have fun all the time with the daycare. He said that I got to go to the park and zoo. Yeah, taking 6 kids to the park is so much fun Yes, I enjoy taking them places but I'm not rolling on the ground giggling the entire time.

K
Angelsj 08:12 AM 12-31-2012
It wouldn't bother me in the slightest, as I am pretty much open to most hours, but that isn't really the point. If you have decided those are your hours, then they are your hours. We all have to decide what we are comfortable with, and stick to it. You would just end up resenting both the baby and your Dh.

I suppose if your Dh offered to take over ALL care of the children after 5 (including preparing the evening meal ) so you could go take a hot bath after your long day....well...
MarinaVanessa 08:25 AM 12-31-2012
Originally Posted by SquirrellyMama:
You were not wrong. Maybe tomorrow you really shouldn't do anything after 6pm and see how your dh feels

I hate it when dh's say stupid things. My dh is usually pretty good but one day he told me that I got to have fun all the time with the daycare. He said that I got to go to the park and zoo. Yeah, taking 6 kids to the park is so much fun Yes, I enjoy taking them places but I'm not rolling on the ground giggling the entire time.

K
But they sure do that a lot don't they?

This is one of the reasons why I try not to tell my DH anything about my DC if I can help it. It's my business and I'll run it the way that I want to. When he makes snarky comments about the way I do things I tell him that I don't go to his office and tell him how to do his job so he needs to butt out of mine. I also remind him that I care for as many as 8 kids at one time and although the house might be a little cluttered from the toys on the floor when he takes care of our TWO kids when I'm away from home it looks like WW3 was fought in my house . That is usually enough to keep him biting his tongue.
LittleD 09:20 AM 12-31-2012
I wouldn't feel bad. You end up resenting the family for cutting into so much of your time, and it does make a difference.
I work 7-5:30, I took an xtra child who is 30mins past my closing, and it's hell for both of us. All his friends are gone, I'm trying to cook supper and get my kids ready for their activities and he's bored and wants one on one time. Most of kids have been gone for an hour to 45 mins, so its not easy on either of us. Just so I could fill my last spot. We are trying to make it work, but it still is a long day.
My husband told me to take the kid who starts at 7am, which is an hour or more earlier then my other kiddos, and because I was just starting I agreed. I imagine what I could do with that extra hour everyday if I just waited for someone more fitting to my schedule would've come along
LaLa1923 09:52 AM 12-31-2012
First, when someone calls ask them what hours THEY work, ask them what hours THEY need. Take control of the conversation.....ask them if they have called other places or visited any other places in the area. If so, what were their rates..... What are they comfortable paying ?

I say this because after you know the facts then either agree or tell them your rate. I'm am also open 6-6, but I contract for those hours. No more than 9-10 hrs a day. My rate is $225 for an infant BUT I really liked a mom I met and her DD. THey are both great fits, and I know she will pay me and appreciate me. I wanted her business, as I knew of other providers offering infant care for $150 a week. So I offered her $185 a week for her 6months old, that was more than she wanted to pay but we are both happy with the compromise.
My toddler rate is $150, but I advertise for $185 and I will be getting the higher rate so it all equals out.....

Sorry for the long story.....feel free to pm me!
LaLa1923 09:56 AM 12-31-2012
For the right amount I may have taken it but everyone is different. After 5:30 I'm into overtime rates. It's your business, do what you feel comfortable doing.
Patches 10:30 AM 12-31-2012
Thanks for all your responses. Even thogh the hubby can be stupid sometimes, he has been super supportive of me starting the daycare from day 1 and knowing him I'm sure I'm putting more thought into this than he is. He probably forgot about 2 seconds after it happened
allsmiles 10:44 AM 12-31-2012
Originally Posted by LittleD:
I wouldn't feel bad. You end up resenting the family for cutting into so much of your time, and it does make a difference.
I work 7-5:30, I took an xtra child who is 30mins past my closing, and it's hell for both of us. All his friends are gone, I'm trying to cook supper and get my kids ready for their activities and he's bored and wants one on one time. Most of kids have been gone for an hour to 45 mins, so its not easy on either of us. Just so I could fill my last spot. We are trying to make it work, but it still is a long day.
My husband told me to take the kid who starts at 7am, which is an hour or more earlier then my other kiddos, and because I was just starting I agreed. I imagine what I could do with that extra hour everyday if I just waited for someone more fitting to my schedule would've come along
whew i know the feeling!! most of my kids come at 830-9am..so that one child that comes earlier really makes you regretful LOL
akpayne 10:50 AM 12-31-2012
if you compromise your hours this time, whats going to stop from doing it again, and again, and again? you are just going to burn out that way...i use to be open to 6pm and hated it...changed my hours to 5:30 and plan to go to 5:00 in September....my own well being and time with my family at the end of the day is too important. there is a perfect family out there for you, you just have to find them
saved4always 01:23 PM 12-31-2012
When I did daycare in my home, I would start earlier for some families for extra money, but I never compromised on my end time. If they needed later hours for pick up, they were not a fit for my care.
MarinaVanessa 02:11 PM 12-31-2012
Originally Posted by saved4always:
When I did daycare in my home, I would start earlier for some families for extra money, but I never compromised on my end time. If they needed later hours for pick up, they were not a fit for my care.
Ditto here too. Just this morning I took 2 DCK's WAY earlier than usual (one at 5:30am and one at 6:30am) when my usual opening time is 7am but my first scheduled client isn't until 7:30am. I did it because all of the other DCK's would be home with their families today except these two and these 2 kids have short hours anyway. Earlier pick drop-offs meant even earlier pick ups ... so at 12:30pm my last daycare kid got picked up and here I am twiddling my thumbs while I kick up my feet. But I wouldn't commit myself to closing later on a regular basis for a family.
itlw8 06:25 PM 12-31-2012
My problem with working later is I need to sit down before I start dinner..So if dinner takes30 minutes to get ready wewould eat at best 7:30 each night.
providerandmomof4 09:22 AM 01-01-2013
I made an exception for one family who came later and needed a late pick up. This ended up not working out because the pick ups just got later and later and my family was resentful of this too. I finally had to end up terming. Another problem I had with this late pick up was that one of my other dcf that was contracted until 5pm would see us playing outside with other dck's at pick up and guess what? They started trying to pick up later and later...it was a big mess. Even though I spoke with dcm and advised that her scheduled pick up was 5 and the other family had a later schedule......she asked, "well, would it be okay if I dropped my kids later and picked them up later?" Ummmm, no. I don't want a whole house full of kids after 5. She didn't get it until I wasn't watching any kids and it truly appeared like I was closed! Now I have one family that stays until 5:15. It takes dcd about 15 mins to get here and they are my last pick up.
Kaddidle Care 02:09 PM 01-01-2013
Originally Posted by SquirrellyMama:
K

Does HE work an 11 1/2 hour day? Sorry, my hubby would be waking up bruised if he said that.
williams2008 04:46 AM 01-02-2013
I open at 6:00 am to 6:00 pm. I have a family where both the parents work the same hours I am open. I give them 30 minutes to get here, I only do it for this one family because they really appreciate my services and they have been with me since the day my doors opened!!
itlw8 05:50 AM 01-02-2013
I need to add , over the years I have done things I normally would not do ( like weekend care)Why becausewe were broke. But here I can always get an infant spot filled fast.They are in short supply. So while I may help out a family with a 2 yr old, I would not do the same for an infant because I could take another infant.
williams2008 06:07 AM 01-02-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
I need to add , over the years I have done things I normally would not do ( like weekend care)Why becausewe were broke. But here I can always get an infant spot filled fast.They are in short supply. So while I may help out a family with a 2 yr old, I would not do the same for an infant because I could take another infant.
I don't blame you at all. When I first started daycare I stayed open until 11:30 pm for almost a year because we needed the money, and it burned me out!!

I had a mom call me on Saturday wanting to re-enroll her 2 boys. She already knew my hours, but thought I would bend a little since her kids had been here before.The mom work a week of 5 am-2 pm, then a week of 2 pm- 11 pm. I will not open before 6 and I am not staying open past 6:30.
Mom&Provider 06:27 AM 01-02-2013
OMGoodness you are not wrong at all for saying no! We all make our hours for a reason and they should be enforced 100%!

My SIL decided she would make an exception for a family and she wishes she NEVER agreed to it. More then once this family has caused her to be late for things, caused her added stress since she is also trying to get her own dinner made while this child is still in her home and she's even had to take this DCK to appointments etc. because for her it just dosen't work and now she feels stuck.

You also have to consider the odd time this family might be late, stuck in traffic etc., pushing this already late pick-up even later. Think of the days you are over tired with your own illness etc. and the fact that you'd have to wait the extra time until pick-up when you are ready to call it a day! I'd imagine over time it could turn into some resentment towards this family and that's not good for you or them.

Regardless, 6:30 is a late pick-up time IMO to begin with and I would never agree to it - hubby or no hubby saying his piece!
Mikeman45 07:22 AM 01-02-2013
Your are not wrong at all. What does he mean that you aren't doing anything after six? You need to have some tie for yourself, your hours are long enough already, no need in overworking yourself
kitykids3 07:39 AM 01-02-2013
Wrong? No, you weren't. Your business, your hours, forget what dh says. My hours are 7 -6 and I work 7:45-6pm. That 6pm is late enough! I would not make it any later unless you REALLY needed the money, but you also gotta have your downtime.
daycarediva 08:34 AM 01-02-2013
My husband wouldn't DARE. In fact, he usually says the opposite, and he is usually right. I took on a family 90+minutes earlier than all of my other drop offs. I stuck it out for 2 years/until they aged up but it was TORTURE. My hours are 6-6 and I currently work 7:30-5:30. By 6pm I am done. I won't interview outside that time frame.
My3cents 11:42 AM 01-02-2013
Originally Posted by miss_kristle:
I just don't want to let people walk all over me. And when my dh said, "You're not doing anything after 6" I thought to myself Really?? Is it fun in that bubble you're living in? Well, I just looked at him and walked away and he didn't say anything after that
My reply to my hubby would have been neither are you, so you can take that on if you want. You will need tons of training, background checks etc....

I feel your hours are long. If this parent really wanted to come to you, she would have found someone that could pick up for that last half hour for her. She needs a Center where they do longer hours. Don't feel better.

Your business your rules. Hubby should stay out of it unless he is employed by you or vise versa-

Another baby will come your way that will fit better-
hgonzalez 12:07 PM 01-02-2013
This all really depends on how badly you need to fill the spot and how badly you need the income.

My experience has been that the people that want the later or earlier pickups are going to continue to want 'more'. I had a family with an infant that wanted a 6:15 am drop off once in awhile (I open at 7). She guaranteed that she would pick up early at 3:15 on those days.. I went ahead with it, thinking it would work out because I would not have to bring him outside with us at the end of the day.

Well, the once in awhile ended up being 3 times a week, then every day due to her husband 'traveling'. Next thing you know, she needs a 3:30 pickup, then 4 pm. I ended up drawing the line at 4:15 as it was then 10 hours. What a pain....I went out of my way for this family and all they did was take, take, take as much as they could from me.

Then the Mom would come at 4:15 and then want to use my bathroom. She would sit in there for 20 minutes or more. Drove me NUTSSSSS!

Then to top it all off, they moved!!! I went out of my way thinking I was gaining a long term client, then they use me up and leave.

You will get a better client with better hours...hang in there.
crazydaycarelady 12:16 PM 01-02-2013
It all depends on how much you need the income. My hours are 7:30-5:30 but not too long ago I started a family that came at 6:30am. Turns out I LOVE the family and not too long after I started them dcm got a different job and now they are here during my normal time. Really it just depends on how bad you need the money.

If you did take a family like this I would explain to them that they are your last pick-up and you need to know what time you will be done for the day, and give a late fee for pick-ups after 6:30.
bunnyslippers 01:11 PM 01-02-2013
You are not wrong ~ in fact, I think you are open too much and will burn yourself out!!!
Childminder 01:22 PM 01-02-2013
For you it's not wrong if that is how you feel about it. For me it would'nt be a problem because I'm open longer hours and charge for contracted hours. Plus DH is my assistant and helps when he can. Been doin this a looooong time and works for us.
renodeb 07:10 PM 01-06-2013
Absolutely not. Like you said, first its for one parent then others get wind. I have learned that even when Im low on kids it still pays to be picky and stick to your regular hours. You will get the enrollments you need despite that. You already work a long day as it is. Hubby needs to chill!
Debbie
Reply Up