Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Naptime Length
Sunshine74 09:47 PM 01-21-2013
How long do you allow in your schedule for nap? I am thinking of over 2's, specifically 2-3yrs. If your nap is from 12:30-2:30 for example, do you wake the children after those two hours or allow them to sleep?

The director at our center thinks that the children need to be woken up after the two hours, even if the entire room is still asleep! She said, "The parents aren't paying us to let them sleep all day."

It is my opinion that if they are still sleeping after 2 hours, they are tired and need to sleep- especially during this bad cold and flu season.
Daycarelady1979 09:59 PM 01-21-2013
I say let 'em sleep!
I never, never, ever wake a sleeping child.
But that's just me!
Daycarelady1979 10:06 PM 01-21-2013
I had a little boy here tonight from 2:30-10:15 pm that fell asleep 3 times!! He took a nap right after his mom left, he fell asleep after being placed in a time out for running in circles inside my house over & over, and then he fell asleep again around 9:30 when I put him down for bed. Personally I think that's crazy, but his mom is a single mom going to nursing school full time & working part time...who knows what this kid's weekend was like?! I don't really question it. If they're tired, let 'em sleep. The only time I ever do it differently is if the parent says, "Little Johnny isn't sleeping well for me at night...could you please not let him sleep past 3:00 today?"
AnneCordelia 02:45 AM 01-22-2013
Nap time here is 2.5 hours scheduled but I will let them sleep if they need it.
Play Care 03:00 AM 01-22-2013
Being in a center your hands are tied. Although I personally question the wisdom of a director who thinks naps, which are so important for children's developing brains, as a waste of parents money...

That said - My nap time is 2 hours - *if* the child has been asleep for the whole time and is still sleeping I do allow them to continue sleeping for a little while longer. Then I do get them up but this is mostly because of where my napping room is located (away from the main play area). And I am a bit different in that a child who was goofing around and didn't fall asleep until the end of the scheduled nap time is not allowed to continue sleeping - because I find that this gets them into that schedule rather than napping when it's time.
cheerfuldom 05:52 AM 01-22-2013
Originally Posted by Daycarelady1979:
I had a little boy here tonight from 2:30-10:15 pm that fell asleep 3 times!! He took a nap right after his mom left, he fell asleep after being placed in a time out for running in circles inside my house over & over, and then he fell asleep again around 9:30 when I put him down for bed. Personally I think that's crazy, but his mom is a single mom going to nursing school full time & working part time...who knows what this kid's weekend was like?! I don't really question it. If they're tired, let 'em sleep. The only time I ever do it differently is if the parent says, "Little Johnny isn't sleeping well for me at night...could you please not let him sleep past 3:00 today?"
930 is his bedtime? I would shoot for 8pm.
coolconfidentme 06:00 AM 01-22-2013
Originally Posted by Daycarelady1979:
If they're tired, let 'em sleep. The only time I ever do it differently is if the parent says, "Little Johnny isn't sleeping well for me at night...could you please not let him sleep past 3:00 today?"
I have a parent who is working 12 hour shifts right now & wants her child to have shorter naps. (So she can go to bed earlier.) He doesn't fall asleep right away for his nap & if zombie-fied when he is woken up. I'm thinking she wants me to invest in a magic wand & pixie dust or something. idk...
itlw8 06:04 AM 01-22-2013
12 - 3 is my nap my kids are mostly all awake by 2 or 2:30 I will let someone sleep but will wake them at 3 if not awake
williams2008 06:08 AM 01-22-2013
Our naptime here is 2 hours. If they don't wake up on their own, I just let them sleep.
BumbleBee 06:09 AM 01-22-2013
Nap routine here starts at 12:15. Get settled, read a book, drift off to sleep-takes no longer than 15 minutes.

I HAVE to wake them @ 2:30 because we have to be out the door & on the way to p/u the SA @ school no later than 3.

I have actually never had to wake anyone. One sleeps until 1:30 while the other sleeps until 2.

Unfortunately, being at a center you don't have much say. I had kids at the center who desperately needed that extra 20-30 min after nap was over. We got written up if any child was on their cot 10 min after nap ended-didn't matter if they went down later due to a field trip, long lunch, etc.
daycarediva 06:21 AM 01-22-2013
Naptime here starts at 12:30, everyone is out by 1. It officially 'ends' at 2:30. That is when I stop tip toeing around and open blinds, play soft music, etc. Most kids are up ay 3. I won't wake a child until 3:30 or unless a parent specifically requests it (and even then I often disagree!)

I have a 2yo dcb who will sleep from 1-3:30 without an issue and then be cranky when he is woken up. Dcm requested shorter naps, but his bedtime is whenever Mom goes to sleep (11p+) and he is here at 7:30am! NOOOO! I told her to start working on a bedtime routine at home first and then if she was having trouble I would adjust naptime accordingly. Dcb went to bed at 9 the first night and 8 every night since. STILL naps from 1-3:30 but is a HAPPY HAPPY little guy when I wake him now.

KIDS NEED SLEEP. I wish I could convince parents that it's actually better for them to take naps vs being miserable/cranky in the evening due to lack of sleep.
Blackcat31 06:45 AM 01-22-2013
My naptime is 2-2.5 hours. If they are ALL still sleeping after 2 hours, I will let them go for another half hour but after 2.5 hours I wake them.

I believe that consistent routine is important for kids and letting them sleep until they wake up on their own just doesn't work for me.

The ONLY exception to this is if I know a kid is really really off from their normal behaviors and really really needs the sleep.
Heidi 06:52 AM 01-22-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
My naptime is 2-2.5 hours. If they are ALL still sleeping after 2 hours, I will let them go for another half hour but after 2.5 hours I wake them.

I believe that consistent routine is important for kids and letting them sleep until they wake up on their own just doesn't work for me.

The ONLY exception to this is if I know a kid is really really off from their normal behaviors and really really needs the sleep.
12-3 here. If they are still asleep after that, I start making noise first, then, if that doesn't work, reluctantly go and wake them. I say reluctantly because most kids are grouchy then.

If the wake up before 3, which is rare, they have a book or a stuffed animal to keep them company. It seems to help them wake up slowly and have a little down time before going full-throttle again.
kitykids3 09:04 AM 01-22-2013
12:30-2:30. If they are still sleeping I let them sleep. They NEED it. About 3:15 I'll make noise and let the awake ones make noise. IF any happen to still be sleeping, I'll wake them at 3:45. The only time I wake them is if a parent asks, and it's a reasonable request, like my 4.5 yr dcg hasn't been going to bed til 10 when she naps here.
jokalima 10:16 AM 01-22-2013
12:00 to 3:00 usually the wake up by 2:30 or 2:45 but stay resting, if they r sleeping passed 3:00 I wake them up
e.j. 11:04 AM 01-22-2013
My naptime generally lasts 2 hours. I have a couple of kids who tend to sleep longer that the rest and are very cranky if I wake them. If I can, I let them wake on their own. If it gets too close to pick-up time, though, I will try wake them so I can get diapers changed and maybe feed them a small snack before they go.
Sunshine74 08:47 PM 01-22-2013
Thank you all for your responses. Our nap time is from 12-2, and I would just love to let them sleep an extra half hour or so.
canadiancare 05:38 AM 01-23-2013
Our province makes it easy by putting regulations in place :

(5) Every operator shall ensure that the daily program in each day nursery operated by the operator and in each location where private-home day care is provided by the operator is so arranged that,
(a) each child over eighteen months of age up to and including five years of age that is in attendance for six hours or more in a day has a rest period not exceeding two hours in length following the mid-day meal;
(b) each child under thirty months of age that is in attendance for six hours or more in a day is outdoors for sleep or play or both for a period of up to two hours each day, weather permitting, unless a physician or parent of the child advises otherwise in writing;
(c) a child under 44 months of age as of August 31 of the year and who is unable to sleep during the rest period is not kept in bed for longer than one hour and is permitted to engage in quiet activities; and
(d) a child 44 months of age or over and up to and including 67 months of age as of August 31 of the year and who is unable to sleep during the rest period is permitted to engage in quiet activities. R.R.O. 1990, Reg. 262, s. 53 (5); O. Reg. 505/06, s. 11 (1).
Tags:sleep - length
Reply Up