Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Ugh Meet Your Newest Charge
nannyde 12:09 PM 02-08-2018
https://www.facebook.com/Nomecansode...2119653475366/
hwichlaz 12:34 PM 02-08-2018

TooManyKitties 01:31 PM 02-08-2018
Wow. I can’t even.
Ariana 01:39 PM 02-08-2018
This literally boils my blood

What is wrong with these parents. Not only that but this child looks to be 6 months and he can’t roll over on his belly.
hwichlaz 01:53 PM 02-08-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
This literally boils my blood

What is wrong with these parents. Not only that but this child looks to be 6 months and he can’t roll over on his belly.
I bet he can when he's not chucking a wobbly. He's just stiff with rage.
Baby Beluga 02:29 PM 02-08-2018
Wow...
Blackcat31 02:37 PM 02-08-2018
That's crazy but for me only because it's a cell phone the little one is raging over....

My own child would have reacted in a similar way if I took a favorite toy out of their hand so the actual rage fit wasn't so odd to me.
Josiegirl 02:46 PM 02-08-2018
Wow says it all.
nannyde 03:23 PM 02-08-2018
Watch the hand movement at 40 seconds.

It ain't his first time at the rodeo
Farmerswife 03:50 PM 02-08-2018
Wow! I don't understand why parents give kids cell phones to play with. All of my nieces and nephews want to walk around with their older cousin's/aunt's cell phones at family functions and they let them! I am not giving my $500 phone to a kid to stare at when they have all of their cousins to play with. They all sit around and watch youtube videos and bring the phone back when it's dead. Drives me crazy!
Ariana 04:40 PM 02-08-2018
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
I bet he can when he's not chucking a wobbly. He's just stiff with rage.
Thats true
storybookending 05:00 PM 02-08-2018
Kids and electronics is my biggest pet peeve right now, esp after my day with my 2 year old today. They are just so addicted to them because the parents just let them sit behind screens all night long.

I have a 3 year old that is probably the best behaved kid I’ve ever met but the second mom or dad walks in the first thing she’s asks them EVERY SINGLE DAY is “can I watch a show when I get home”. EVERY DAY. I am unsure if they allow her to.. dad says no on his pickup nights but isn’t a hands on dad so I’m feeling like the answer is yes by the time they drive around the block to get home. Mom usually gives her a “maybe later”. Child has never asked me to turn on the TV but talks all day about shows she’s watched.
HappyEverAfter 06:17 PM 02-08-2018
Ridiculous. I never let the kids touch my phone or iPad but I know they must get to do that at home because all of them reach their hands out for them when they see I have them. And all of mine are under two years old.
Mad_Pistachio 04:51 AM 02-09-2018
The boy I wrote about before (one who wanted to buy me flowers) keeps telling me that he gets to play on mom's iPad when he gets home. Mom works at a fast food restaurant during the day and is a student, so, I guess, that's her way to eliminate distraction when doing class work (I was just lucky to be able to quit my job and study online).
Whenever I open a music video on my phone - for music, not watching - I turn it screen down on a shelf, and if a tiny sliver of light peeks out, he'll stand under that shelf staring at it.
Mike 05:09 AM 02-09-2018
Originally Posted by Mad_Pistachio:
The boy I wrote about before (one who wanted to buy me flowers) keeps telling me that he gets to play on mom's iPad when he gets home. Mom works at a fast food restaurant during the day and is a student, so, I guess, that's her way to eliminate distraction when doing class work (I was just lucky to be able to quit my job and study online).
Whenever I open a music video on my phone - for music, not watching - I turn it screen down on a shelf, and if a tiny sliver of light peeks out, he'll stand under that shelf staring at it.
Xray vision. I wish I had that.
Jamie 07:19 AM 02-09-2018
Yes, I definitely agree that kids have too much screen time, and I cringe when parents are proud that their LO can do an ipad puzzle, start a movie etc.

However - I don't think screen time is a problem as long as it is balanced out. I have a DCB who loves TV, but he doesn't ask for it, he is happy when TV is on and happy when it is turned off, he wants to see my phone,but doesn't care when I say no. Screens are nothing more or less to him than all other toys, books and pastimes, just as I think it should be.

The baby in the video... They're giving him/her a toy that lights up and is fun, and then immidiately taking it away again even though s/he tries to hold on to it?? How did you expect him/her to react? I have had babies react the same way when someone takes their rattle/toy animal/block/anything they're holding on to...
Indoorvoice 07:33 AM 02-09-2018
I'm not as concerned about the screen as I am about them teasing their child like that. How utterly disrespectful and awful. What does that teach them? You bet when that child is older and rips something out of their hands or another child's hand that the baby will get reprimanded for it and mom will be posting on all the mommy sites that baby rips toys out of people's hands at daycare and she just can't figure out why! Oh and you had also better believe that if those same parents learned that their daycare provider was doing this to baby just to laugh at baby screaming that the provider would be blasted all over the internet and go to jail. It wouldn't be so funny then, huh? Ugh parents are just so mean sometimes!
Tigerlilly 08:35 AM 02-09-2018
Yikes! My daughter got ahold of my phone a few months ago. She is 3 and doesn't ever play with my phone. She called 911 off of the security pin screen lol. I imagine this is a pretty common thing now.
Country Kids 08:51 AM 02-09-2018
Sadly, more and more children have to be entertained with a phone anymore.

I remember going to peoples houses and just having to sit quietly and maybe have one small toy or book to entertain me (if I was lucky).
lovemykidstoo 09:12 AM 02-09-2018
Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:
I'm not as concerned about the screen as I am about them teasing their child like that. How utterly disrespectful and awful. What does that teach them? You bet when that child is older and rips something out of their hands or another child's hand that the baby will get reprimanded for it and mom will be posting on all the mommy sites that baby rips toys out of people's hands at daycare and she just can't figure out why! Oh and you had also better believe that if those same parents learned that their daycare provider was doing this to baby just to laugh at baby screaming that the provider would be blasted all over the internet and go to jail. It wouldn't be so funny then, huh? Ugh parents are just so mean sometimes!
AMEN!!!! I honestly get tired of all of the electronic stuff these kids are glued to. So many of my dck's have their own Ipads. I don't even have one lol. Then I drive down the street and every other car has the tv's in them. We used to have one too, but only for our 5 hour trip up north in the summer. Not for around town. How about looking out a window or talking? I go grocery shopping and see so many kids watching something on mom/dads phone or ipad the entire time. Parents wonder why their child isn't talking? duh!
Ariana 09:27 AM 02-09-2018
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
AMEN!!!! I honestly get tired of all of the electronic stuff these kids are glued to. So many of my dck's have their own Ipads. I don't even have one lol. Then I drive down the street and every other car has the tv's in them. We used to have one too, but only for our 5 hour trip up north in the summer. Not for around town. How about looking out a window or talking? I go grocery shopping and see so many kids watching something on mom/dads phone or ipad the entire time. Parents wonder why their child isn't talking? duh!
. The grocery store is one of the best places for face to face time too.

When I worked at a centre there were a few kids who were there from open to close. I ended up leaving the same time as one of those kids and was behind them in traffic. The DVD player was on the whole time in the van. The poor kid had been at daycare for 11 hours and the parents still didn’t want to interact with him. It broke my heart
hwichlaz 09:35 AM 02-09-2018
Originally Posted by Ariana:
. The grocery store is one of the best places for face to face time too.

When I worked at a centre there were a few kids who were there from open to close. I ended up leaving the same time as one of those kids and was behind them in traffic. The DVD player was on the whole time in the van. The poor kid had been at daycare for 11 hours and the parents still didn’t want to interact with him. It broke my heart
Right? Nothing better than a kiddo in the cart seat face to face with mom, getting kisses and attention while she shops.
daycarediva 09:46 AM 02-09-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
That's crazy but for me only because it's a cell phone the little one is raging over....

My own child would have reacted in a similar way if I took a favorite toy out of their hand so the actual rage fit wasn't so odd to me.
same!

Originally Posted by storybookending:
Kids and electronics is my biggest pet peeve right now, esp after my day with my 2 year old today. They are just so addicted to them because the parents just let them sit behind screens all night long.

I have a 3 year old that is probably the best behaved kid I’ve ever met but the second mom or dad walks in the first thing she’s asks them EVERY SINGLE DAY is “can I watch a show when I get home”. EVERY DAY. I am unsure if they allow her to.. dad says no on his pickup nights but isn’t a hands on dad so I’m feeling like the answer is yes by the time they drive around the block to get home. Mom usually gives her a “maybe later”. Child has never asked me to turn on the TV but talks all day about shows she’s watched.
I have TWO who are enticed out the door DAILY with "what show do you want to watch?" or they wouldn't leave without throwing a fit. They NEVER ask for TV here, probably because it's NEVER an option, so...

Originally Posted by Indoorvoice:

RIGHT!?

Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
Right? Nothing better than a kiddo in the cart seat face to face with mom, getting kisses and attention while she shops.
I really loved the time I spent with my kids shopping. Yep it was hard the in/out carseats, esp in bad weather, and there were days I just left them with dad/grandma, but for the most part- they came with me. This was before screens were so common place. They had their own little grocery lists of things to remember to get, could pick out ANYTHING in the produce department if they were good, and the conversations. We need X number of bananas, look at the man stocking the shelves way up high, etc etc. And of course, the tasting kiosks. That was my ds's favorite.
Josiegirl 09:53 AM 02-09-2018
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
same!

I have TWO who are enticed out the door DAILY with "what show do you want to watch?" or they wouldn't leave without throwing a fit. They NEVER ask for TV here, probably because it's NEVER an option, so...

RIGHT!?

I really loved the time I spent with my kids shopping. Yep it was hard the in/out carseats, esp in bad weather, and there were days I just left them with dad/grandma, but for the most part- they came with me. This was before screens were so common place. They had their own little grocery lists of things to remember to get, could pick out ANYTHING in the produce department if they were good, and the conversations. We need X number of bananas, look at the man stocking the shelves way up high, etc etc. And of course, the tasting kiosks. That was my ds's favorite.
Our local stores used to have small shopping carts for mini helpers. Can't remember the last time I saw a child 'shopping' with their own cart and mom or dad. I took my own kids everywhere with me. Every public place was a lesson waiting to be learned. If they didn't behave we just left. It's not rocket science!!
nannyde 10:04 AM 02-09-2018
Originally Posted by Jamie:
Yes, I definitely agree that kids have too much screen time, and I cringe when parents are proud that their LO can do an ipad puzzle, start a movie etc.

However - I don't think screen time is a problem as long as it is balanced out. I have a DCB who loves TV, but he doesn't ask for it, he is happy when TV is on and happy when it is turned off, he wants to see my phone,but doesn't care when I say no. Screens are nothing more or less to him than all other toys, books and pastimes, just as I think it should be.

The baby in the video... They're giving him/her a toy that lights up and is fun, and then immidiately taking it away again even though s/he tries to hold on to it?? How did you expect him/her to react? I have had babies react the same way when someone takes their rattle/toy animal/block/anything they're holding on to...
the baby's hand manipulation of the phone isn't the same as it would be with a light up toy.

he's using his thumb and do the kneading of the fingers. This means he's had practice. He's not searching the toy to see where the light up buttons are. He's not shaking it to light it up. He's scrolling and pressing portions of the screen with his thumb not his pointer finger.

I'm not interested in the reaction from having something taken away. That's universal. I'm interested in this very young baby having experience with a tablet
Homebody 10:32 AM 02-09-2018
Then you end up with children that don't even know how to look at a book.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=aXV-yaFmQNk
amberrose3dg 10:40 AM 02-09-2018
Originally Posted by nannyde:
the baby's hand manipulation of the phone isn't the same as it would be with a light up toy.

he's using his thumb and do the kneading of the fingers. This means he's had practice. He's not searching the toy to see where the light up buttons are. He's not shaking it to light it up. He's scrolling and pressing portions of the screen with his thumb not his pointer finger.

I'm not interested in the reaction from having something taken away. That's universal. I'm interested in this very young baby having experience with a tablet
Exactly!
I have two kids whose parents are teachers. Guess what they do not even have a tv at home. They read books for entertainment and go outside oh how will their kids survive
I find it great that their son doesn't know what a paw patrol is or a whatever kids watch now a days. My 3 year old would live outside if I let her. She rides her power wheels and plays with chalk in our garage when its too late to go outside
Country Kids 10:59 AM 02-09-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
Exactly!
I have two kids whose parents are teachers. Guess what they do not even have a tv at home. They read books for entertainment and go outside oh how will their kids survive
I find it great that their son doesn't know what a paw patrol is or a whatever kids watch now a days. My 3 year old would live outside if I let her. She rides her power wheels and plays with chalk in our garage when its too late to go outside
Sadly the children of my teachers are my biggest electronics kids. I rarely see them outside my program with out an electronic in their hand.
Mike 11:41 AM 02-09-2018
I've said before that I've seen too many parents use electronics to keep their kids busy.
amberrose3dg 12:41 PM 02-09-2018
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Sadly the children of my teachers are my biggest electronics kids. I rarely see them outside my program with out an electronic in their hand.
Their kids are 11 months and 3 so that may change over time. I do not use electronics or tablets in care. I think kids are way too dependant on them.
Country Kids 03:49 PM 02-09-2018
Originally Posted by amberrose3dg:
Their kids are 11 months and 3 so that may change over time. I do not use electronics or tablets in care. I think kids are way too dependant on them.
These kiddo's are 3 and 6
Cat Herder 05:50 AM 02-12-2018
I have had several infants trying to "enlarge" my board book images by spreading out their fingers across the screen. It is quickly becoming common.
nannyde 05:57 AM 02-12-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I have had several infants trying to "enlarge" my board book images by spreading out their fingers across the screen. It is quickly becoming common.
what's that motion called where they "knead" with their fingers? There's a name for it and I can't think of it. Too lazy to look it up when I have you.
Cat Herder 06:14 AM 02-12-2018
what's that motion called where they "knead" with their fingers? There's a name for it and I can't think of it. Too lazy to look it up when I have you.
Primitive neonatal reflex, rooting, stimming. It was part of the autonomous reflex system associated with stimulating breast milk production and let down, also maternal bonding. Now apparently it works to bond with technology.
Blackcat31 06:15 AM 02-12-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I brought an Etch-A-Sketch into daycare a while back.
It sat on the table for a long time before one of my pre-Kindy boys picked it up and asked if he could play with it.

He did all the finger motions to enlarge, he swiped left and then right and tapped his finger repeatedly on the screen. Finally he looked at me and said "I think this needs charging or it's broke"

When I told/showed him "how" to use it, he did it for about 60 seconds and lost interest.
Cat Herder 06:32 AM 02-12-2018
I did not think palmar applied, but maybe it does. Nothing is technically touching the palm, but still seems to stimulate a grasp response. It does seem more inline with moro (when removed)/rooting (when received).
Homebody 08:00 AM 02-12-2018
I had a 5 year old girl I started watching a year ago. She found a play phone (no batteries required) in our toys. She kept asking me "how does it work?", "what does it do?". I told her it doesn't do anything, its just for pretend - you pretend to talk to someone. She didn't understand, and just couldn't grasp the concept of it and lost interest immediately. If she saw me check a message on my phone she would ask to play on it, and I would always tell her no. She also didn't have a lot of imagination, when I got our Mega blocks she kept wanting me to tell her what to build, and the same with coloring pictures, she didn't know what to color and wanted me to tell her. I told her to build or color whatever you want, and she had a hard time with this. She couldn't stick with anything for more than 5 minutes, and got bored very easily. I just found it so sad.
Josiegirl 09:33 AM 02-12-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

When I told/showed him "how" to use it, he did it for about 60 seconds and lost interest.
Kind of the opposite side of the spectrum but I bought a hand-crank radio for our emergency supplies. My 9 yo dcb, who's an electronics junkie, was totally enthralled with it and begged his mom for one.
Mom2Two 02:34 PM 02-12-2018
That baby video is both scary and disgusting...and funny in a dark kind of way.

None of us have a smart phone with service (DS has one that he uses kinda like an ipad), but it's getting harder! More and more store promotions REQUIRE an iphone. You can't apply at some of the part time jobs without scanning on your iphone. What the heck?
Tags:rage baby
Reply Up