Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Past Client Request...
KDC 08:18 AM 11-14-2013
So I have a past client, I watched her little guy for 3 years. He has a Sensory Processing Disorder and was accepted into early intervention public school pre-K. They live in the next town over so they had to switch to a big chain daycare in order for them to get him on/off the bus. I really liked this child and was sad to see him go.

His Mom tells me ALL the time how much he misses coming to my house and wanted to set up a play date with my children. I suggested a pizza play date somewhere. I knew I was stretching by planning it for a Friday night, but I work, her kid is in school and weekends are packed. She mentioned this to me a few days before my vacation to Disney (we just got back Tuesday). My kids are still adjusting to the sleep deprived vacation.

She just sent me a FB message asking what time she could drop off her child for the play date on Friday night?? Former DCB is super excited to come to Ms. Kelly's house! Uh, wha? Do I just explain there was a misunderstanding? I'm going to be working ALL day and I do not really want another kid here on a Friday night. I just got back from a REALLY demanding vacation and I'm in NO mood to play host to a DCK I haven't seen for 5 months on my 'free' time. I should mention my kids do not particularly like this DCB because he's bossy, loud & cries anytime he doesn't get his way. I just assumed (I was her former boss, quit to do daycare, we were fairly good friends, as I went to her wedding - she came to mine), I just assumed she'd also be attending on this 'play date'. This is not going to be a fun, kids go play kind of play date. I'm thinking I just say there was a mis understanding, I was thinking we'd go out for pizza as a group? I don't want to be a brat though, she's one of my biggest cheerleaders and spreads the good word about my daycare. WWYD?
Shell 08:36 AM 11-14-2013
Oh geez! Definitely a misunderstanding! eek: Don't parents get that we don't watch kids 24/7, and need to get out a bit?! Yeah, I would explain that you were really looking forward to going out to dinner and meeting up outside of the home. If she wont agree to that, oh well, no playdate!
Blackcat31 08:40 AM 11-14-2013
Originally Posted by KDC:
So I have a past client, I watched her little guy for 3 years. He has a Sensory Processing Disorder and was accepted into early intervention public school pre-K. They live in the next town over so they had to switch to a big chain daycare in order for them to get him on/off the bus. I really liked this child and was sad to see him go.

His Mom tells me ALL the time how much he misses coming to my house and wanted to set up a play date with my children. I suggested a pizza play date somewhere. I knew I was stretching by planning it for a Friday night, but I work, her kid is in school and weekends are packed. She mentioned this to me a few days before my vacation to Disney (we just got back Tuesday). My kids are still adjusting to the sleep deprived vacation.

She just sent me a FB message asking what time she could drop off her child for the play date on Friday night?? Former DCB is super excited to come to Ms. Kelly's house! Uh, wha? Do I just explain there was a misunderstanding? I'm going to be working ALL day and I do not really want another kid here on a Friday night. I just got back from a REALLY demanding vacation and I'm in NO mood to play host to a DCK I haven't seen for 5 months on my 'free' time. I should mention my kids do not particularly like this DCB because he's bossy, loud & cries anytime he doesn't get his way. I just assumed (I was her former boss, quit to do daycare, we were fairly good friends, as I went to her wedding - she came to mine), I just assumed she'd also be attending on this 'play date'. This is not going to be a fun, kids go play kind of play date. I'm thinking I just say there was a mis understanding, I was thinking we'd go out for pizza as a group? I don't want to be a brat though, she's one of my biggest cheerleaders and spreads the good word about my daycare. WWYD?

Um, wow.

Yes, DO NOT just let it go....

Just say "I'm sorry Mary we must have misunderstood each other. I was suggesting that we meet for pizza somewhere together.

I am excited to see Billy too but after working all day, I need to get out of the house!

If you are free to meet us for pizza that would be great but due to my already heavy workload, I am not willing to host play dates at my home after hours. I'm sure you understand."

Wow! I am still surprised she thought you wanted to watch him.
For free.
After hours.
MamaBearCanada 09:35 AM 11-14-2013
Or...

I'll meet you at Pizza Palace at 6pm. Can't wait to catch up with you while we eat
MarinaVanessa 09:37 AM 11-14-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Um, wow.

Just say "I'm sorry Mary we must have misunderstood each other. I was suggesting that we meet for pizza somewhere together.

I am excited to see Billy too but after working all day, I need to get out of the house!

If you are free to meet us for pizza that would be great but due to my already heavy workload, I am not willing to host play dates at my home after hours. I'm sure you understand."

For free.
After hours.

Laurel 09:44 AM 11-14-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Um, wow.

For free.
After hours.

Laurel
TwinKristi 10:07 AM 11-14-2013
Wow! So basically she just wants free daycare... Lame! I would say that you'd love to meet her at "_____" to have dinner with the kids and play but you're just too exhausted to have anyone over after working all week and returning from vacation. Don't let her just drop him off! That's soooooo rude!
Unregistered 10:11 AM 11-14-2013
Definitely do not let them drop him off!!!

I HATE when parents hear playdate, they AUTOMATICALLY (and wrongfully ASSume) I want to watch their kid! Play date is just that: A couple hours for the kids to play and parents to hang out. NOT for me to " babysit"!
momofboys 03:32 PM 11-14-2013
I am actually quite amused but feel bad that this mom thinks you want to have a "playdate" with her child without her! Are your own kids even close in age to this child? Either way, I hope you don't allow her to drop him off for the free care! You can be firm & also nice. Please keep us posted.
KDC 07:32 AM 11-15-2013
* Update

I told her there was a misunderstanding, I thought we'd all go for pizza somewhere, and after a demanding vacation my house wasn't really ready for company. She was in the hospital early last week for vertigo? I guess she had MRI and it revealed nothing and now goes to neurologist? She said she understood and with our schedules full now we should work on a pizza play date sometime soon?? Ummm. Okay. At least my night is free

This DCB is same age as my little guy...4. They like each other some of the time-- do t have a lot in common, but get along. He had been here for 3 years, so they acted a lot like siblings. DCB is an only child--so I get the adjustment on his end.
sharlan 07:48 AM 11-15-2013
Somebody was really looking for a free night. I'm glad you straightened her out.
Reply Up