Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Should I Keep My Lincoln Log Set?
cheerfuldom 08:40 PM 11-20-2013
It is so hard to get rid of things that *I* like having but do not get played with and we don't have the room for tons of things that aren't being used. I have a nice collection that I purchased second hand of about 500 hundred pieces of Lincoln Logs. I tried to put it out several times but the daycare kids are all too young and I don't keep school aged daycare kids. Most of them leave me for preschool at 3 and 4 so its generally babies and toddlers or part time preschoolers. My own kids do not have interest in these. I think my oldest might play with them ever now and then but there are always too many young ones trying to ruin her games. We are very limited on what she can without interruption and building a little town is not going to happen no matter where we set up. I didnt remember Lincoln Logs being that hard to figure out but it seems that even the four year olds are confused by the concept and they either try so hard that they become frustrated or they give up really quickly. Since I don't keep schoolaged daycare kids, I am wondering if these toys will ever be played with! My son may like them some day but he is only 12 months so it would be a number of years. Do you find the same issue with Lincoln Logs? Are your kids interested in them and able to play with them appropriately? What age and gender normally has the most interest? I am disappointed that no one here is reaching for them and we dont have the storage room to keep a bunch of stuff that may not be used for years.
Meyou 01:51 AM 11-21-2013
No, you shouldn't keep them. You should mail them to me.
nannyde 03:26 AM 11-21-2013
Let's do this... Give me all of your eleven inch sticks and give Meyou the rest.

Whether or not they can manage them IME is how many eleven inch sticks you have. Hopefully a ton and you will send them to your favorite Nan.
Luna 03:27 AM 11-21-2013
Originally Posted by Meyou:
No, you shouldn't keep them. You should mail them to me.
You took the words out of my mouth!
My group plays with them every day. The one who most often gets them out is dcb3 and he is quickly joined by dcg3 and dcb4. I removed 2 pieces that dcb3 wanted to use to bang on things, otherwise they play with them appropriately.
I think it would be worth trying to find the space to store them if it is at all possible because your little one may grow into them, future dcks may enjoy them, future grandchildren...
I should mention, I hate to get rid of anything
MrsSteinel'sHouse 05:25 AM 11-21-2013
I have a hard time getting them to play with them appropriately. They want to stick them in their mouths and run around. BUT, I haven't got them out in a while so maybe I will someday... or maybe I will just save them for my grandbabies. My ds had the train and everything- very cool.
JoseyJo 05:33 AM 11-21-2013
I got rid of mine for the exact same reason. No one ever played with them in,2 years, even after introducing them in group time many times. My current group LOVES legos, and the group before that was all about action figures. I just donated my big collection , would have loved to send them to you guys!
itlw8 05:47 AM 11-21-2013
I love them I brought mine home from my Mothers choking hazard so I did not use them in the childcare. My boys used them as swords. They preferred their constructs. I passed on the Lincoln logs but still have their constructs I saved for their kids... We will se if their kids will use those...

My house is small I can't keep everything.
countrymom 05:55 AM 11-21-2013
I have them, I only have a small amount and thats plenty. Every once in a while I take them out. Acually you would be amazed how 2 yr olds can build things.
spud912 06:39 AM 11-21-2013
My children rarely play with the Lincoln Logs and when they do, they are not used for their intended purposes. I keep introducing them but when I do they just want me to build a house instead of doing something on their own. They would much rather play with the Magna Tiles, which I am constantly trying to distract them from. They play with the Magna Tiles ALL THE TIME and they are always fighting over them.
SilverSabre25 07:03 AM 11-21-2013
I only have a small quantity and they frustrate my 6 year old to no end, and the rest of the kids have even less success. And my 6 year old is generally very good with things.

I've been considering re-homing mine. i'm tired of having so much stuff in general....
misslori50 01:08 PM 11-21-2013
Originally Posted by nannyde:
Let's do this... Give me all of your eleven inch sticks and give Meyou the rest.

Whether or not they can manage them IME is how many eleven inch sticks you have. Hopefully a ton and you will send them to your favorite Nan.
LOL I want them
daycare 01:17 PM 11-21-2013
I could have written this post myself, but I have a ton of things that are not being used.

1. LEGO TABLE with about 1000 legos, its too large for our space now and the pieces are too small for the 2 and under crowd. Plus the kids would run cars on top of the building part and I don't want them to break it.

2. I also have tons of Lincoln logs that are in storage, same thing no space for them and little eat them.

3. crawl tunnels, no space any more for them

4. 2 cool car mats, they bunch up on the floor and end up toss to the side. I have carpet throughout, so the rugs never lay flat

5. Circle time wall hang bought from lakeshore, the littles rip everything off of it.

My storage looks like toys r us................very sad

Ugh I could go on and on, I don't want to get rid of this stuff, but I don't want to become a daycare hoarder either...lol

I always say, maybe I'll have a dc sale, but then never do
MamaBearCanada 01:36 PM 11-21-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
I could have written this post myself, but I have a ton of things that are not being used.

1. LEGO TABLE with about 1000 legos, its too large for our space now and the pieces are too small for the 2 and under crowd. Plus the kids would run cars on top of the building part and I don't want them to break it.

2. I also have tons of Lincoln logs that are in storage, same thing no space for them and little eat them.

3. crawl tunnels, no space any more for them

4. 2 cool car mats, they bunch up on the floor and end up toss to the side. I have carpet throughout, so the rugs never lay flat

5. Circle time wall hang bought from lakeshore, the littles rip everything off of it.

My storage looks like toys r us................very sad

Ugh I could go on and on, I don't want to get rid of this stuff, but I don't want to become a daycare hoarder either...lol

I always say, maybe I'll have a dc sale, but then never do
Have you tried piping clear caulk on the back around the edge? It usually prevents rugs shifting.
daycare 01:42 PM 11-21-2013
Originally Posted by MamaBearCanada:
Have you tried piping clear caulk on the back around the edge? It usually prevents rugs shifting.
No, I have never heard of that before. I am going to try it though. Like I said, I have so much stuff. I would be to embarrassed to take a pick for you ladies to see.

My program and ages have shifted so much that I have replaced items that are still in great condition because they just don't work for my children that I have now.

thank you for this idea. Is this something I can buy from home depot?
nannyde 01:52 PM 11-21-2013
Originally Posted by misslori50:
LOL I want them
MissLori trying to Cheevis Davis into my dealio.
Cradle2crayons 01:56 PM 11-21-2013
MissLori trying to Cheevis Davis into my dealio.
Y'all can have a jello wrestling contest in order to determine the winner of the Lincoln logs.....

I'll keep score.....
jenn 02:25 PM 11-21-2013
I have only the long pieces. Some groups love them, others don't. Seems like most of the toys are popular for awhile and then left alone for awhile.
cheerfuldom 02:26 PM 11-21-2013
well I decided to send them off to a new home. a local mama has offered a fair price for them and I feel okay with selling since I will be replacing with hopefully a Little Tikes Garden, the older version not the one currently sold in toys R us. i love Little Tikes vintage pieces and so do the kids
nannyde 03:03 PM 11-21-2013
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
well I decided to send them off to a new home. a local mama has offered a fair price for them and I feel okay with selling since I will be replacing with hopefully a Little Tikes Garden, the older version not the one currently sold in toys R us. i love Little Tikes vintage pieces and so do the kids
Just tell me you had only two eleven inch sticks and my grief will disappear.
Leanna 10:52 AM 11-22-2013
Just tell me you had only two eleven inch sticks and my grief will disappear.
What's with the 11 inch sticks lol?
daycarediva 11:34 AM 11-22-2013
My autistic older son makes the most elaborate houses with Lincoln logs.

dcks used them as drums. They were rehomed to ods's room.

daycare- I WANT THE LEGO TABLE! My dcks would play with (real) legos ALL DAY LONG. Rule is: a piece goes in your mouth, you're done for the day. Never had to enforce it though!
Tags:logs
Reply Up