Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Easter/Spring Sensory Box Ideas
SilverSabre25 12:43 PM 02-27-2014
I bought the paper ruffley easter "grass" stuff last night and two ADORBS little mini baskets. I have a ton of plastic eggs. What else to go in a springy/easter sensory box?
Meyou 12:47 PM 02-27-2014
My kids love a little garden set with shovel, trowel, and a few fake flowers to plant.
blandino 12:57 PM 02-27-2014
I am about to get out our garden sensory bin next week.

I made it last year. I used pinto beans as the medium. I bought tiny plastic flower pots from the dollar store, and artificial flowers, and all kind of fake bugs/butterflies,shovels, etc. That way they can fill the little pots with beans, and then put the flowers in, and make a little potted plant. They LOVED it.
SilverSabre25 01:09 PM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by blandino:

I made it last year. I used pinto beans as the medium. I bought tiny plastic flower pots from the dollar store, and artificial flowers, and all kind of fake bugs/butterflies,shovels, etc. That way they can fill the little pots with beans, and then put the flowers in, and make a little potted plant. They LOVED it.
Ooooo I love this!!
MotherNature 01:18 PM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by blandino:

I'ma have to do this too. Thanks!
CraftyMom 02:06 PM 02-27-2014
I have a similar sensory bin, I've used rice or beans. My question: Is there an easy set up to keep the beans contained and not all over the floor?? I don't have an actual sensory table, just a long shallow tote bin with a cover. It serves it's purpose very well, maybe it's just this age group getting carried away, but I end up doing so much sweeping. We use it outside as much as possible.
daycarediva 03:27 PM 02-27-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
I have a similar sensory bin, I've used rice or beans. My question: Is there an easy set up to keep the beans contained and not all over the floor?? I don't have an actual sensory table, just a long shallow tote bin with a cover. It serves it's purpose very well, maybe it's just this age group getting carried away, but I end up doing so much sweeping. We use it outside as much as possible.
I have two of the same sensory bins available at a time, and they are smaller, both stay on a mat with a lipped edge I got at Michaels. It isn't PERFECT, but it's better than it was.

Rice. Rice everywhere. It was LAST SUMMER the kid dumped the entire bin of colored rice and I STILL FIND RICE!
Meyou 01:12 AM 02-28-2014
I make them get down and help pick up if they don't keep the medium in the bin. If they are older I give them the broom. They learn to be pretty tidy with the bins quickly. I also remind them rice/beans and toys IN the bin not outside.
Josiegirl 02:57 AM 02-28-2014
We've had the rice/bean table out all week and the worst ones at keeping the mess contained are NOT the toddlers, they're the 6 yo boys! I caught one putting it all down his shirt then shaking it everywhere. I made them pick up all the beans, then vacuumed all the rest up. (my playroom is carpet)

We do the fake flowers, little plastic pots too plus we use gardening gloves. All purchased at the dollar store.
countrymom 06:57 AM 02-28-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
We've had the rice/bean table out all week and the worst ones at keeping the mess contained are NOT the toddlers, they're the 6 yo boys! I caught one putting it all down his shirt then shaking it everywhere. I made them pick up all the beans, then vacuumed all the rest up. (my playroom is carpet)

We do the fake flowers, little plastic pots too plus we use gardening gloves. All purchased at the dollar store.
you are so right. It wasn't the 3 and under that were dumping the rice, it was the 6 yr olds here too. So I band them from the table and they are mad because I let the little kids play.

Where do you guys buy beans in bulk, I would need 10 bags to put in my bin and my bin isn't big at all.

DO NOT EVER BUY THE NYLON/PLASTIC EASTER GRASS. They were all over the place, the kids would throw it out because it was always in a clump and the static from it drove me nuts. You could walk by the bin and you would have easter grass everywhere.
Meyou 07:19 AM 02-28-2014
My kids love pom poms in the sensory bins too. In fact they play with a big bin of pom poms alone alot too.

I agree about the 6 year old boys! Messiest sensory players ever! My 7yo DCB sweeps every day he plays with bins.
CraftyMom 08:02 AM 02-28-2014
Originally Posted by Meyou:
My kids love pom poms in the sensory bins too. In fact they play with a big bin of pom poms alone alot too.

I agree about the 6 year old boys! Messiest sensory players ever! My 7yo DCB sweeps every day he plays with bins.
Yes they love pom poms too!

I recently bought big bags of rice at Walmart (I think 5 pounds) for $2.88 each. It took 4 bags for my bin. I could probably use another since so much of it gets swept up and thrown out.
Josiegirl 10:38 AM 02-28-2014
And what about the pompoms?? I'd love to try that but it must cost a fortune?

Last year when we worked on an ocean type theme, I did the sand/water table all up with aquarium gravel, plastic fish and turtles, seashells, and water. Kids had a ball.
CraftyMom 11:11 AM 02-28-2014
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
And what about the pompoms?? I'd love to try that but it must cost a fortune?

Last year when we worked on an ocean type theme, I did the sand/water table all up with aquarium gravel, plastic fish and turtles, seashells, and water. Kids had a ball.
I pick up Pom poms at the dollar store. The bags are small though. I bought a couple at a time here and there and before long I had enough for a bin, probably 6 bags is enough for a small bin, and just add as you go
Reply Up