its a poll but not set up like one.

1. do you use a cirriculum
2. if you do which one
3. age group you use it.
4. any dislike or likes about it.

1. I used to use mother goose time
2. mother goose time
3. 1 to 5 yr olds
4. had to stop because shipping to ontario is a killer, and I found it was alot of info for my group. They loved the art projects alot. You really get your monies worth.
Blackcat31 11:33 AM 05-07-2014
Originally Posted by countrymom:

1. do you use a curriculum Yes.

2. if you do which one It's called "Play"

3. age group you use it. Infant to age 5

4. any dislike or likes about it. LOVE that there is NO planning involved, very little cost and every day is different than the day before.

I also think the kids have learned more from play than any curriculum I have ever used in previous years.
I replied in read above
llpa 11:39 AM 05-07-2014
1. Yes
2. I use my own, not a commercial one.
3. Currently 2-3 yr olds
4. I like that I can flex to whatever we need and that it always starts with play.
Annalee 11:43 AM 05-07-2014

2. if you do which one
3. age group you use it.
I set up the environment based on themes and the children learn through play. I have 12 children right now ages 15 months to 4 years. I love it because the children use their imagination and create their own learning experiences. Plus, less planning on my part...All I do is set it up each month.
snbauser 11:45 AM 05-07-2014
1. do you use a cirriculum Yes
2. if you do which one I use Creative Curriculum and supplement with Mothergoose Time
3. age group you use it. preschool and prek (3/4/5's)
4. any dislike or likes about it. I like that it doesn't require a whole lot of prep on my part. I don't like the number of "crafts" vs "art" but unfortunately that's what parents feel the need to see to know their kids are learning
sharlan 11:45 AM 05-07-2014
I have used several in the past. Everything from A Beka to Letter of the Week.

I no longer use any curriculum. I stopped ALL "learning" when my parents told me to give the other one the papers/crafts the child did.
butterfly 11:47 AM 05-07-2014

1. do you use a cirriculum Currently make my own, have used funshine and MGT
2. if you do which one
3. age group you use it.all ages 0-6
I dislike the work of making my own, but I like that I can adapt it to exactly what I want it to be. I loved a preboxed curriculum but it was never enough for my kids (I was always adding to it) and it was costly.

I'm constantly changing my mind about what I want to do with curriculum. I've saved all my materials from everything I've made and bought. I have a whole walk in closet full of curriculum items and I'm continually creating more as the abilities, interests, and ages of kids I have changes.
Tdhmom 11:50 AM 05-07-2014

2. if you do which one
3. age group you use it.
1. I used to, but have done away with it. We do craft everyday but that's it.

2. I used to make my own.

3. I have 3 yr olds and 5 yr olds that have 1/2 day preschool

4. It took up WAY too much time and the kids weren't interested in it. They would rather have more outside time, which I love!
melilley 11:55 AM 05-07-2014
1. do you use a cirriculum Yes, but my own
2. if you do which one I do thematic curriculum and have a theme of the week and go off of that. The older children help me decide what the theme is. We also do a letter, color, and shape of the week. We also count, do ABC's, weather and day/date/month daily (the kids love to change them). It's just a short circle time and they can choose to participate or not.
3. age group you use it. Currently, 0-3
4. any dislike or likes about it. I love that I can change anything about it that I want, It's geared towards my current children's interests and ages and It's fun.
Heidi 11:58 AM 05-07-2014

1. do you use a cirriculum NO!
2. if you do which one
3. age group you use it.
I don't use one, have tried, but it doesn't feel natural to me. I teach by talking, listening, walking, visiting with neighbors, baking a cake or cooking together, reading together, singing, offering art supplies and engaging "conversation' about it, etc. Oh, and play, lots of free-play. Either me sitting on the floor, or backing off totally. I try to mix it up.
melilley 11:58 AM 05-07-2014
Originally Posted by butterfly:
I dislike the work of making my own, but I like that I can adapt it to exactly what I want it to be. I loved a preboxed curriculum but it was never enough for my kids (I was always adding to it) and it was costly.

I'm constantly changing my mind about what I want to do with curriculum. I've saved all my materials from everything I've made and bought. I have a whole walk in closet full of curriculum items and I'm continually creating more as the abilities, interests, and ages of kids I have changes.
I always go back and forth as to whether I want to do a more "formal" curriculum or not. I always go back to no because I don't think most of the parents wouldn't know the difference anyways and doing my own is more fun. I was going to say funner, but dd always tells me that that's not a word...lol
Annalee 12:01 PM 05-07-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I don't use one, have tried, but it doesn't feel natural to me. I teach by talking, listening, walking, visiting with neighbors, baking a cake or cooking together, reading together, singing, offering art supplies and engaging "conversation' about it, etc. Oh, and play, lots of free-play. Either me sitting on the floor, or backing off totally. I try to mix it up.

jenboo 12:16 PM 05-07-2014

1. do you use a cirriculum Yes.
2. if you do which one I create my own. Its very flexible, based on the childrens interest. It adaptable to all ages. It involves lots of free choice/play. It is not ridged at all.
3. age group you use it. Infant-5
I love it because it is developmentally appropriate for all ages. It isnt stressful. The kids get a lot out of our activities. It barely requires any prep work
itlw8 12:18 PM 05-07-2014
I am a Creative Curriculum program. I do not believe in flash card and worksheets so the pretty well rules out all purchased curriculums.

I plan my own following the children's interests. I do a lots a science and creative activites, mixed age group and it works great for us.
NightOwl 12:26 PM 05-07-2014
1. Yes
2. Preschool prep and abcmouse.com
3. 3 to 5
4. Preschool prep is awesome, but this particular group prefers abcmouse.com. Preschool prep was pricey to start, but you get sooooo much! It's an awesome tool. Abcmouse.com is more fun, I think, because they get to use the computer and they dislike worksheets.
LoraJenkins 12:32 PM 05-07-2014
1. do you use a cirriculum, yes
2. if you do which one I use Carol's Affordable Curriculum
3. age group you use it. Two 2.5 year olds, a 5 year old and a 5.5 year old
4. any dislike or likes about it. I like that the projects for each age group are similar. I don't like that there isn't "themes" longer than 1 day.
Laurel 12:36 PM 05-07-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I replied in read above

Me too!

Laurel
jenboo 12:39 PM 05-07-2014
**RANT WARNING**

I hate the word CURRICULUM! I hate boxed curriculum. I think too many people are caught up in "old school"ways of teaching "preschool". Worksheets, hours of prep time, etc. It drives me nuts.

I advertise as having developmentally appropriate curriculum for all age. I say that because everyone these days are so focused on formal learning from birth.

Here is an example of my day of curriculum:
Circle time: read stories, sing songs, and play "guess that food"
guess that food: put a fruit or vegetable under a thin kitchen towel. Let the kids feel it and guess that it is. Then talk about which food group it belongs in. The younger children had a blast uncovering the food and covering it back up.

Small group: some kids used the towel and the pretend food to keep playing our game. The younger ones had fun picking up the food item that I named and pointing to certain colors.

Outside activity: have 3 cups with different amounts of water. Talk about which one has more, less, the same etc. Have the younger ones help count how many cups there are. talk about why our bodies need water. then put different sized cups in the water table to explore with.

Doing your own "curriculum" can be very easy if you don't over do it. Children will learn best exploring and being asked open ended questions, etc. I think too many people over think the whole curriculum thing.

Ok rant over. This isnt pointed towards anyone. Just people in general. I want people to know that they don't have to spend hours preparing or spend tons on curriculum. The activities that I plan are the same type of curriculum I used while working in high end centers. BASIC IS BETTER. i have never had a child not fully prepared for kindergarten.
TwinKristi 01:22 PM 05-07-2014
My crew is all too young to do this, 18-30mos, but I've been scoping stuff out as a mom has asked me about it and would rather keep him here and do preschool then send him elsewhere. I have a DS the same age so it's something I've considered for awhile now. Probably wouldn't start until next Fall, maybe even the following Spring depending on how these guys do. Of course our own kids have a harder time listening to mama and the other DCB has developmental delays and sensory issues among other things. He's cute as a button but not at all able to understand most of what's going on. I often suspect ASD but I'm not a dr so who knows.
Blackcat31 01:33 PM 05-07-2014
"The crippling of individuals I consider the worst evil of capitalism. Our whole educational system suffers from this evil. An exaggerated competitive attitude is inculcated into the student, who is trained to worship acquisitive success as a preparation for his future career."

"One should guard against preaching to young people success in the customary form as the main aim in life. The most important motive for work in school and in life is pleasure in work, pleasure in its result, and the knowledge of the value of the result to the community."

"Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere."

“I never teach my pupils; I only attempt to provide the conditions in which they can learn.”

~Albert Einstein
NoMoreJuice! 01:38 PM 05-07-2014
2. if you do which one
3. age group you use it.

1. Yes, just started last month
2. Mother Goose Time
3. 3rs - 5rs
4a. I don't really like the cost, but I increased my tuition to offset it.
4b.I like that the parents LOVE it. Every one of them believes their child is destined to go to Harvard, and that they need a rigid curriculum starting at birth! I also ordered the extra (optional) "More Reading and Writing" and "More Math" workbooks. I make copies from them every day and send "homework" home with the kids. The parents requested homework, so this is an easy option that coincides with the day's lesson. I was annoyed at first that they were pushing for homework, but then I realized, it's a great thing to make the parents try to teach their own kids! (Bonus: half of them have apologized to me and told me they now understand how difficult it is to make children learn and I'm so awesome...laying on the praise super thick) I also like the variety of games, music, poems, and crafts. It is making my life SO MUCH EASIER.

Sorry for the lengthy response. To sum up: happy parents=happy me.
jenn 01:55 PM 05-07-2014
I agree with Blackcat

1. Do you use a curriculum? No boxed, purchased curriculum

2. if you do which one? Self made, called "Go Play!" or "Go Play Toys!", supplemented with the occasional book, game, and crafts that I feel like doing spur of the moment.

3. Age group you use it? 6 weeks-school age

4. Any dislike or likes about it? Love it! I have creative children that learn to use their imagination, learn to interact, and learn to self entertain.
MarinaVanessa 02:01 PM 05-07-2014
1. do you use a curriculum?
Yes
2. if you do which one
I make my own up
3. age group you use it.
All age groups have their own. I do different activities with infants, toddlers and preschoolers. Sometimes I group them all up together, group up the infants and toddlers or group up the toddlers and preschoolers, depending on what it is.
Can take longer to plan but I love that I am only doing what is appropriate for each of the children. It's also a $ saver this way. I can plan activities that are low cost that I used to pay more money for before when I was buying a boxed curriculum
midaycare 02:04 PM 05-07-2014

2. if you do which one
3. age group you use it.
Where I live, our schools are rated in the top 5% in the country - and that's our public schools. Our private schools are out-of-this-world good. If I don't use a curriculum, I will have no business. People move to our area because of the schools, and they want their children to have the best. With that said ... I offer a curriculum (Funshine Express for ages 2-6), but I don't follow it to the letter. I also don't do it all day long. That would be boring! I believe in free play as a great way to learn. If the kids are interested in learning about something, we do that instead. I have a teaching degree, and spent a lot of time as a substitute teacher, so I know well how to come up with things on the fly.
countrymom 03:04 PM 05-07-2014
its interesting how many don't use cirriculum, well not a boxed one. Here I thought I was the only one who used the "new" play cirriculum lol!!

do you think that unless we advertise as a preschool we should use boxed cirriculum. I just want the kids to learn not to pick their nose, we can't pull our pants down and show our underware to every one and licking toys is gross. I don't think you get that in a box do you.
Laurel 05:59 PM 05-07-2014
Originally Posted by jenn:
I agree with Blackcat

1. Do you use a curriculum? No boxed, purchased curriculum

2. if you do which one? Self made, called "Go Play!" or "Go Play Toys!", supplemented with the occasional book, game, and crafts that I feel like doing spur of the moment.

3. Age group you use it? 6 weeks-school age

4. Any dislike or likes about it? Love it! I have creative children that learn to use their imagination, learn to interact, and learn to self entertain.

Laurel
spinnymarie 07:10 PM 05-07-2014
1) yes
2) home-made - circle/calendar time where we sign songs and look at the calendar and schedule for the day + sometimes do a craft that I make up on the spot + the project approach, which I recommend everyone look into -- you let the children decide what they are interested in, and then ask them how they would like to learn more about it, and then help them do that.
3) everyone does it, but aimed at 2+
4) how can I dislike my own stuff? I do as much or as little as I think we need/want
Cradle2crayons 08:55 PM 05-07-2014
I'm a previous homeschooling mom but I don't use any type of formal curriculum for daycare kids at all. We do all play based learning and things kids are interested in. Lots of outdoor and science type learning since we live in the woods.

I don't do worksheets at ALL. Crafts we do occasionally but they aren't planned just spontaneous type things depending on what the kids like to do.
melskids 05:01 AM 05-08-2014
1. do you use a cirriculum yes
2. if you do which one play based and child led
3. age group you use it. infant through school age
4. any dislike or likes about it. I like that is allows the children to learn the way they were meant to. Through play.
Msdunny 06:30 AM 05-08-2014

2. if you do which one
3. age group you use it.
I started out using my own curriculum that I would spend hours on the weekend planning and gathering supplies for. Most of my dck's were 3 and 4 at the time.

Fast forward to this year and most of my kids were 1 and 2 at the beginning of the year. My dh asked me to free up some of my time - My per hour pay was ridiculous with all the planning I was doing. So, I went to a play based day, and have loved my year. The mom of my oldest dcg isn't happy, and will probably not return after their summer break, but I am totally ok with that!

I have found that most of the parents I have dealt with are totally over the top with their expectations. The dcg who will probably be leaving? She is just turning 4 next week. Her mom asked my last September if she could bring her sister's extra kindergarten papers so the dcg could start learning her letters! Nevermind the fact that she desperately needed to learn impulse control and anger management! Another mom wanted her just turned 4-year-old to know how to write her name.

Sorry! I seem to have hijacked your thread with much more information than you were looking for!
My3cents 11:56 AM 05-08-2014

1. do you use a cirriculum yes
2. if you do which one MGT
3. age group you use it. 2.5-4
I love it. I hate the price.

I replied in red above-

I do one but I also do a lot of play. I like MGT because you can pick and choose what you want to do with it. My kids get excited about it. I just don't care for the price it is an in your face price shock, where when I did my own I bought a little here and there but that probably added up to more then I spend now on MGT. I just wish it was a little easier on the $$$
My3cents 12:05 PM 05-08-2014
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Where I live, our schools are rated in the top 5% in the country - and that's our public schools. Our private schools are out-of-this-world good. If I don't use a curriculum, I will have no business. People move to our area because of the schools, and they want their children to have the best. With that said ... I offer a curriculum (Funshine Express for ages 2-6), but I don't follow it to the letter. I also don't do it all day long. That would be boring! I believe in free play as a great way to learn. If the kids are interested in learning about something, we do that instead. I have a teaching degree, and spent a lot of time as a substitute teacher, so I know well how to come up with things on the fly.

Reply Up