Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How To Keep Carpet Clean?
KEG123 07:07 AM 02-03-2011
Ok so I know its impossible for it to stay clean, but I'm wondering more about paint. Our whole daycare area is carpeted, and I want to do arts and crafts. Do you have some sort of tarp you put down on the floor? Nothing? We rent too, btw.... so no permanent changes, and I don't want paint to be all over the floor!
dEHmom 07:23 AM 02-03-2011
go to dollar store, buy a shower curtain or 2 and lay it out.
AnythingsPossible 07:51 AM 02-03-2011
I used to use large table cloths before we got laminate in our dining area.
momofthree 08:15 AM 02-03-2011
I used foam mats under the craft table and also for painting. It is easy to wipe especially with playdough
kendallina 08:26 AM 02-03-2011
My preschool room is all carpet too (and we rent as well). So we paint at the snack table in the kitchen. It's close to the bathroom too, so that helps for clean-up.
lvt77 08:30 AM 02-03-2011
I used a shower curtain with an old sheet on top. This way if there is a spill of paint, I can just throw the sheet in the washer and it will have something to absorb into. I love the shower curtain idea, but alone it is hard to clean and when the kids spill if they walk on it, it just makes a bigger mess..

I also made a huge foam board.. It was not that cheap, but it works great... Ill picture it for you...
dEHmom 08:34 AM 02-03-2011
Originally Posted by lvt77:
I used a shower curtain with an old sheet on top. This way if there is a spill of paint, I can just throw the sheet in the washer and it will have something to absorb into. I love the shower curtain idea, but alone it is hard to clean and when the kids spill if they walk on it, it just makes a bigger mess..

I also made a huge foam board.. It was not that cheap, but it works great... Ill picture it for you...
See I'm pretty bad, because I would just fold it up, and throw it away, since it was only a $1 shower curtain, lol.

Otherwise I would just wipe it up with a old towel, and wash the towel. Or I'd put it in the tub and wash it with the wand. And then leave it sitting there to dry
KEG123 08:46 AM 02-03-2011
Oh tablecloth and shower curtain ideas are great!! Much cheaper than the TINY paint splat mats I've seen online.
lvt77 08:52 AM 02-03-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:
Oh tablecloth and shower curtain ideas are great!! Much cheaper than the TINY paint splat mats I've seen online.
HOw do i post a pic? I wanted to show you the foam play mat/board that I have on my floor.
KEG123 08:55 AM 02-03-2011
Go advanced, then scroll down a bit to manage attachments
lvt77 09:28 AM 02-03-2011
I hope you are able to see them ok.

So I bought the child foam playmats for about $40.00. I then went to home depot and bought a huge sheet of ply board. About $30.00. I glued down each piece of the playmat to the plywood. I also got some 1x1 pine border and covered that in foam as well, attached it with screws on the bottom of the board.... Hard to explain, but I am sure if I flipped over the foam board mat you could see what I was talking about.

It is super easy to clean. I use the swifter wet jet to clean it up.
Attached: P1010012.JPG (107.2 KB) P1010027.JPG (118.4 KB) 
MommyMuffin 09:36 AM 02-03-2011
I do not paint very often because I am so afraid of the mess but when we do paint, it is in booster chairs at the kitchen table. The chairs are covered in old towels, the children wear my husbands shirts and newspaper is taped down to the table. Gate is put up so those 2 and under have no way to access the painting. I know I should let them join too but I am just not comfortable in my abilities yet to manage all that.
MommyMuffin 09:38 AM 02-03-2011
I hope you are able to see them ok.

So I bought the child foam playmats for about $40.00. I then went to home depot and bought a huge sheet of ply board. About $30.00. I glued down each piece of the playmat to the plywood. I also got some 1x1 pine border and covered that in foam as well, attached it with screws on the bottom of the board.... Hard to explain, but I am sure if I flipped over the foam board mat you could see what I was talking about.

It is super easy to clean. I use the swifter wet jet to clean it up.
very cute! I dont know how some of you do it. I have the same foam mats and the kids just tear them apart, and I could never have that cool thing you have for the markers....if I turn away for one second I know they will have it all over.

VEry cute though!!!
lvt77 09:41 AM 02-03-2011
Originally Posted by MommyMuffin:
very cute! I dont know how some of you do it. I have the same foam mats and the kids just tear them apart, and I could never have that cool thing you have for the markers....if I turn away for one second I know they will have it all over.

VEry cute though!!!
the markers are only out when we are doing art. I do have to put them up. I make the kids do it. Its a game. everyone picks a color that they love.. we set the timer and I say ready set go... Usually the kids grab as much as they can instead of the color they are supposed to, but it just makes for faster clean up. Everyone is so excited to get their sticker at the end.

Are your foam mats on the carpet? This is why I got the plywood and guled it down...
MommyMuffin 09:45 AM 02-03-2011
the markers are only out when we are doing art. I do have to put them up. I make the kids do it. Its a game. everyone picks a color that they love.. we set the timer and I say ready set go... Usually the kids grab as much as they can instead of the color they are supposed to, but it just makes for faster clean up. Everyone is so excited to get their sticker at the end.

Are your foam mats on the carpet? This is why I got the plywood and guled it down...
Oh...glue it down...that makes a lot of sense. Sorry I just scan posts in between quiet moments here..lol I should have read your post more. Great idea on the markers too!
Little People 09:47 AM 02-03-2011
That is a great idea! I have looked at the foam squares, but just thought they would never stay in place on carpet.
lvt77 09:54 AM 02-03-2011
Originally Posted by Little People:
That is a great idea! I have looked at the foam squares, but just thought they would never stay in place on carpet.
they wont stay in place on the carpet, this is why i did the plywood and glue..
momofthree 09:57 AM 02-03-2011
Thanks for the idea IVT77 with the plywood and foam mats.

I have the large foam mats and the alphabet foam mats.

I only used the large foam mats where the craft table is but it is always moving. I packed the alphabet foam mats away because the kids were damaging it.

Now I am going to get the ply wood and glue it down.

IVT77 you have carpet but is the kids stumming their toes on them or tripping.

I don't want them to fall.
lvt77 10:02 AM 02-03-2011
Originally Posted by momofthree:
Thanks for the idea IVT77 with the plywood and foam mats.

I have the large foam mats and the alphabet foam mats.

I only used the large foam mats where the craft table is but it is always moving. I packed the alphabet foam mats away because the kids were damaging it.

Now I am going to get the ply wood and glue it down.

IVT77 you have carpet but is the kids stumming their toes on them or tripping.

I don't want them to fall.
this does happen sometimes, but they fall on the foam or the carpet so no one gets hurt. I dont allow rough play, so it does not happen often. I added the 1x1 boarder and wrapped it in foam as well, so there are no splinter or stubbing of any toes. It is very sturdy... I love it. Now i just have to figure out how to get the white wall behind it to stay white...lol I have to clean it nightly with water and bleach...ugh
newtodaycare22 10:20 AM 02-03-2011
I have the same ideas as the others...mainly with foam mats.

But, with the approach of cleaning up carpet AFTER disaster strikes,..
Spot Shot spray is amazing!!

We did a fire drill out the window yesterday (yes, my kids LOVED it). Well, I had the genuis idea of letting them go back IN the window as well. My carpet and mats were BLACK with mud.

After Spot Shot and some lysol wipes...perfection. Today, the kids were like how did you do that?? lol
Reply Up