Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Any ideas here?
daycarediva 10:49 AM 12-04-2013
I was asked by my ds's teacher to help with a Christmas craft. Apparently, ds volunteered me when the teacher said she wasn't making a gift for parents this year. She called me last night and basically said she was sick of trying and found almost half the crafts still in their backpacks after Christmas break.

After a 20 minute conversation, it was obvious that she felt unappreciated and overworked and I really empathized with her. She has 22 kindergarteners now, some not potty trained, most with moderate behavioral issues. She can get about 1/2 her class to sit for circle time, some can't even sit for a story, and she has requested evaluations and 1:1 aides for a few of them. She had a child break her smart board (VERY expensive piece of school equipment) because he was mad she wouldn't let him play with it. NOTHING wrong at all with that child developmentally. She won't be able to get a new one this school year because it's not in the budget. She sent the child to the principal and called the parents. The Mom called her back and CHEWED HER OUT! Called the principal demanding she be fired for SHAMING her son when she sent him to the principal, etc.

I am volunteering for the class Christmas party, which is the Friday before school lets out. Any ideas for a center craft that would be easy for kindergarteners to do themselves or with minimal assistance that wouldn't break the bank? Teacher is willing to split the cost with me, but 22 kids is quite a bit! I was even considering not making a Christmas gift for parents at all, but something for the child, like Christmas tshirt or art shirt to stay in the classroom. Any and all ideas (and some positive vibes for a wonderful, unappreciated, stressed out teacher) would be appreciated!
melilley 10:59 AM 12-04-2013
Sending good vibes to the teacher!
I have a few friends who are K teachers or formerly were and I hear all the time how stressed they are. One actually had to move grade levels because K was too stressful. Now, if parents would actually think about the social aspect of K, then, well, you know.

I'm trying to think of art ideas, but am coming up blank. I'm actually going through my Christmas decorations tonight so I will see if there is anything my dd made that K's can do.

One cute idea for a shirt is to make a reindeer out of their hands and a foot. i don't know if it would be too babyish for them , but it's super cute! Here's the idea:

http://www.mommypage.com/mommycrafts...indeer-t-shirt
coolconfidentme 11:03 AM 12-04-2013
What about these hand print & footprint ornaments?
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/23...8a3a8471ec.jpg
daycarediva 11:05 AM 12-04-2013
That is super cute! Dh is even saying he would do a shirt, they can dry all morning and wear them in the afternoon home! I will have to price out those multipacks of white undershirts this weekend, those would probably work well and be less expensive.
coolconfidentme 11:07 AM 12-04-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
That is super cute! Dh is even saying he would do a shirt, they can dry all morning and wear them in the afternoon home! I will have to price out those multipacks of white undershirts this weekend, those would probably work well and be less expensive.

CedarCreek 11:12 AM 12-04-2013
Maybe you could draw loopy lines across the shirts ahead of time and then the kids could add their fingerprints in different colored paint so that it looks like a string if lights?

Am I explaining that right?
daycarediva 11:31 AM 12-04-2013
Originally Posted by CedarCreek:
Maybe you could draw loopy lines across the shirts ahead of time and then the kids could add their fingerprints in different colored paint so that it looks like a string if lights?

Am I explaining that right?
YES! black or green puffy paint in loops across the front, fingerprints for the lights.

Would regular ink pads work for the lights or would it wash off? I have tons of ink pads!

I will be running these all by the teacher and seeing what she thinks will work for her crazy bunch.
melilley 11:33 AM 12-04-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
YES! black or green puffy paint in loops across the front, fingerprints for the lights.

Would regular ink pads work for the lights or would it wash off? I have tons of ink pads!

I will be running these all by the teacher and seeing what she thinks will work for her crazy bunch.
This idea sounds cute too! You might have a rough time trying to paint 22 feet!
CedarCreek 11:45 AM 12-04-2013
Ink pads would be great!!

I wouldn't think it would wash off in the washing machine if it's permanent ink.

Eta: if she has a large group and is low in helpers, maybe they can dot heir fingerprints wherever on the shirt and she can add the "string of lights" after they are done? Just sort of connecting the dots where she can.

It might not be as cute but it may be a good option if she doesn't have much help!
MamaBearCanada 12:21 PM 12-04-2013
Really cheap would be salt dough shape, handprint, or mosaic ornaments. They could paint them after if you wanted.
spinnymarie 12:42 PM 12-04-2013
We did handprint tea towels one year - or even just give the kids fabric markers and tea towels - way low maintenance.
I would worry with shirts about sizes - when I was teaching K, there were kids in there who could've worn a 2T shirt and others who could've worn an adult L.
Reply Up