Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Need Cubby Label Ideas
MarinaVanessa 03:09 PM 12-16-2013
This is what I have right now for my cubbies ...

The cubbies have those Closetmaid fabric drawers...

Each child here gets one and has a little clip with their name labeled on a plastic clip that slides over the top of the cubby.

What I wanted to do was to add the child's picture to the front of the cubby so that both their name and their photo was on it to help even the smaller ones distinguish which cubby belongs to them. I took photos of the children and laminated them then tried hot gluing the photos but that didn't work. I tried school glue and wood glue and that didn't work either. Belatedly I realized that I was just going to ruin the cubbies anyway because each time that a child left and I started a new child I would have to remove the photo and replace it with another one.

So now I want to try another route. I would like to try something like this instead

They are "self adhesive" but are meant for plastic bins not fabric and they will probably just stop being sticky from the fabric and eventually fall off. So I still have the problem of how to attach them to the fabric cubbies. I know that nothing else that I've tried so far would work and now I have the issue of some added weight but at least now I can have something more permanent since I can just take a new photo and insert it into the pocket. Any crafty people here have any ideas of what could possible work?
melilley 03:12 PM 12-16-2013
You could put a hole some where on the tag and tie it on the handle and stick it on. Or you could sew it onto the fabric bin (might be a pita though). Or superglue the plastic part where the adhesive is, on the bin and then the pics just slide in and out.
AcornMama 03:14 PM 12-16-2013
I use the same set up for cubbies and just printed out pics of the kids, and use a mini clothespin to clip the pic to the fabric box. It's not ideal, every now and then the clips get knocked off, but so far, so good.

Since all of mine are 3-4, I'm thinking about taking the pictures off and just writing each child's first name on a piece of light colored felt (with a sharpie or fabric pen), and then using a safety pin to attach the felt to the fabric box.

These are low-tech ideas, so I be following this thread to see what other ideas are suggested.
MarinaVanessa 03:26 PM 12-16-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
You could put a hole some where on the tag and tie it on the handle and stick it on. Or you could sew it onto the fabric bin (might be a pita though). Or superglue the plastic part where the adhesive is, on the bin and then the pics just slide in and out.
Yeah I thought about sewing the pockets on too even if it would be a pain. They're plastic pockets though so I'm not sure how well they'll hold up to being sewn. They're pretty thick though so it might work. I just thought someone might know of a quicker and easier way to get it done lol. Like maybe an adhesive I'm not thinking about.
MarinaVanessa 03:32 PM 12-16-2013
Originally Posted by AcornMama:
I use the same set up for cubbies and just printed out pics of the kids, and use a mini clothespin to clip the pic to the fabric box. It's not ideal, every now and then the clips get knocked off, but so far, so good.

Since all of mine are 3-4, I'm thinking about taking the pictures off and just writing each child's first name on a piece of light colored felt (with a sharpie or fabric pen), and then using a safety pin to attach the felt to the fabric box.

These are low-tech ideas, so I be following this thread to see what other ideas are suggested.
If all you want is their names on the cubbies here's an idea. I use plastic clips that I got from Target. They are actually dry-erase but I wanted something that looked a little "cleaner" so I printed the children's names on white file labels and then just trimmed them down a little to fit then just stuck them on like a sticker. I make new ones when I get new children and stick them over the older ones. They clip right to the cubby itself.Just slip them right over the top of the front of the drawer.

AcornMama 03:34 PM 12-16-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
If all you want is their names on the cubbies here's an idea. I use plastic clips that I got from Target. They are actually dry-erase but I wanted something that looked a little "cleaner" so I printed the children's names on white file labels and then just trimmed them down a little to fit then just stuck them on like a sticker. I make new ones when I get new children and stick them over the older ones.
Thanks, I'll check it out. I was thinking about going with names instead of pictures just to reinforce letter/name recognition. Not really any reason other than that.
MamaBearCanada 03:41 PM 12-16-2013
What about using the magnetic name lanyards? Just trade out any magnets you think are a choking hazard for bigger ones. Or use regular name lanyards and sew them on. Or they have clips you can attach to the handle.

http://m.staples.com/touch/class.html?#CL140965
MarinaVanessa 03:43 PM 12-16-2013
Originally Posted by AcornMama:

Thanks, I'll check it out. I was thinking about going with names instead of pictures just to reinforce letter/name recognition. Not really any reason other than that.
Yep, that's why I was using only the label clips before. I have really little ones now (3 under 2) so I wanted to add the photos to it. Something that won't fall off.
littlemissmuffet 03:43 PM 12-16-2013
I would take the time to sew on Velcro tabs (just a few stitches in each corner) to the fabric drawers and then stick the other half of the Velcro to the laminated labels. They will last for many many years.
MarinaVanessa 04:00 PM 12-16-2013
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
I would take the time to sew on Velcro tabs (just a few stitches in each corner) to the fabric drawers and then stick the other half of the Velcro to the laminated labels. They will last for many many years.
I tried sticking velcro to laminated posters but they always peeled off of the laminated part (they stuck great to my walls thought) but maybe I can also sew the velcro to the corners of the pockets. That could work too
WImom 04:35 PM 12-16-2013
When I used those bins I just had a card with their name and photo attached with a hole punch and ribbon tied around the handle.
slpender 05:16 PM 12-16-2013
I use the same one I take the kids picture write their name and laminate I punch a hole and attach them to the cubby handles using plastic shower curtain rings. You can get them 12 rings in a package at the dollar tree
Rachel 10:53 PM 12-16-2013
I was going to say velcro. I have a half wall and I covered it in carpet and use velcro (the stick on kind). Kids love it.
crazydaycarelady 07:22 AM 12-17-2013
Do you like those cubbies? I was thinking about getting two of the 8-cube ones and putting them together to make a 16 hole cubby center.

I wasn't sure if I would get drawers for all of them though. Some bring diaper bags and I didn't know if those would fit into the drawers.
Blackcat31 07:25 AM 12-17-2013
Some ideas

You could also use iron-on transfers (you can buy the transfer paper at Walmart) or you could use puffy paint or marker.

You would just have to replace the bin whenever a child leaves.

You could also use fabric glue and make labels that you glue on.

Here is a link to download your own printable fabric labels:

http://therubberpunkin.blogspot.com/...n-freebie.html
MarinaVanessa 07:40 AM 12-17-2013
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
Do you like those cubbies? I was thinking about getting two of the 8-cube ones and putting them together to make a 16 hole cubby center.

I wasn't sure if I would get drawers for all of them though. Some bring diaper bags and I didn't know if those would fit into the drawers.
I like using the drawers... but alas, diaper bags would NEVER fit in one of these bins. I require that parents bring me brand new supplies to leave here (wipes, diapers, formulas, bottles etc) and some extra clothes. This all goes into the cubby and some diapers go in small drawers in the changing table and the wipe boxes stay on top next to the changing pad so there's enough room for everything. Then I just tell parents that diaper bags aren't necessary and have them carry them back to the car. If they insist then at the end of each day I just hand over the bag and "Here's your bag. We didn't need it today. Everything is still in there" and eventually they stop bringing them. The only exclusion is if a parent is dropping off and someone else is picking up and child is going to their house etc.
Childminder 06:51 PM 12-17-2013
Laminate a tag and attach with a zip tie like a luggage tag.
MarinaVanessa 07:22 AM 12-18-2013
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I really wanted something to lay flat against the front of the box instead of hanging and was looking more for ideas of an adhesive that might work on plastic that maybe I had missed before. I'm going to try to sew the plastic pockets once I get them and see how that goes
jessrlee 07:50 AM 12-18-2013
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

I really wanted something to lay flat against the front of the box instead of hanging and was looking more for ideas of an adhesive that might work on plastic that maybe I had missed before. I'm going to try to sew the plastic pockets once I get them and see how that goes
Could you use liquid stitch? It's in the sewing isle. Or E-6000 works on EVERYTHING! Or that sticky back Velcro is very sturdy!
misslori50 09:29 AM 12-18-2013
Vinyl. do you have a friend with a cricut or silohette.
MarinaVanessa 09:35 AM 12-18-2013
Originally Posted by jessrlee:
Could you use liquid stitch? It's in the sewing isle. Or E-6000 works on EVERYTHING! Or that sticky back Velcro is very sturdy!
I've never heard of either of these. I'll investigate, thanks!

Originally Posted by misslori50:
Vinyl. do you have a friend with a cricut or silohette.
I have a Cricut but I was looking for something that would help me stick the big white plastic pockets (like in the picture above) onto my fabric cubbies so that I could take and print pictures that could easily just slide in and out when I needed to, but thank you!
MarinaVanessa 09:39 AM 12-18-2013
Oooh, I think this is really going to work! The description says that it works on vinyl and fabric among other things so I'm sure it'll work for the gluing the pockets onto the cubbies!! Thank you! I'll throw in a few stitches in the corners just make it more durable. Thanks again for brainstorming with me ladies! I love this forum.
jessrlee 09:55 AM 12-18-2013
Oooh, I think this is really going to work! The description says that it works on vinyl and fabric among other things so I'm sure it'll work for the gluing the pockets onto the cubbies!! Thank you! I'll throw in a few stitches in the corners just make it more durable. Thanks again for brainstorming with me ladies! I love this forum.
If you use the E-6000 do et it sit for 12 hours or so before you mess with it. I know from experience...
MarinaVanessa 12:12 PM 12-18-2013
If you use the E-6000 do et it sit for 12 hours or so before you mess with it. I know from experience...
Okay thanks. I'm going to try with the liquid stitch first and see how that goes. I'll do it on a weekend so that I don't have to mess with the cubbies for a few days
laceylmm 12:36 PM 12-18-2013
Would painting a square and then attaching the vinyl to that work? The paint would create the slicker surface needed for things to stick well?
misslori50 02:37 PM 12-19-2013
oh cool pockets
daycare 02:45 PM 12-19-2013
how about velcro on some to the title after you laminate it. the kids can take off, but if you used enough velcro is would stick really well.

I have that same set up and I have the boxes pushed back some so that the label is on the actual shelf.
AcornMama 03:23 PM 12-19-2013
Originally Posted by slpender:
I use the same one I take the kids picture write their name and laminate I punch a hole and attach them to the cubby handles using plastic shower curtain rings. You can get them 12 rings in a package at the dollar tree
Ooh, I like this idea.
Reply Up