Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Little Sneak
mountainside13 05:33 AM 02-16-2016
I have only one family drop off at 7am. I was talking to mom and helping the child get her coat off when I see the little boy walk up to me. Mom had snuck in behind 1st DCm and got him in the door and took off. I didn't see them until he came over and mom was already getting out of the driveway. I sent her a very frustrated text. They aren't suppose to be here until 8. Mom said he's been up since 4 and she needs to get ready for work. NOT my problem! Why do I have to work for free when you can't get ready with 1 child?! I will be having a long talk with her at pick up and will gladly move her drop off time to 7 and increase her rate by $15. Which is what my 7am drop off pays for the early time (it's early for me). The little boy said they were sitting outside for a really really really long time. Ahhhh, it's been a crummy morning already. (Not just this)
Thriftylady 05:35 AM 02-16-2016
Do you have a fee for early drop offs? My contracts state the fee for early drop off and late pick up is the same. $5 for 15 minutes or part thereof. I would be charging her for it, payable before drop off tomorrow.
mamamanda 05:38 AM 02-16-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Do you have a fee for early drop offs? My contracts state the fee for early drop off and late pick up is the same. $5 for 15 minutes or part thereof. I would be charging her for it, payable before drop off tomorrow.
Yes this. I would be charging for the extra time and letting her know that it would not be happening without notice again. Asking for the early drop off and paying for it is one thing. Assuming you will pick up the slack b/c she had a rough night...ridiculous.
mountainside13 05:44 AM 02-16-2016
I don't but I will now. I've had a few try to drop off before their time but I've always turned them away. I didn't think about parents doing that!
midaycare 05:59 AM 02-16-2016
An hour? Oh heck no. You just can't drop off early like that. I don't even have an appropriate cause of action because I would be so mad. Your contracted time is at 8 and you sneak in at 7? Come pick up and we will discuss tomorrow. If I let you stay.
mountainside13 06:13 AM 02-16-2016
She knew she was wrong which is why she snuck him in and took off. All I want for Christmas is to be respected in my own house
Thriftylady 06:19 AM 02-16-2016
Originally Posted by mountainside13:
She knew she was wrong which is why she snuck him in and took off. All I want for Christmas is to be respected in my own house
I get it! But sadly there are people that only care about themselves, and will walk all over anyone and everyone.
Leigh 06:43 AM 02-16-2016
I have only one family drop off at 7am. I was talking to mom and helping the child get her coat off when I see the little boy walk up to me. Mom had snuck in behind 1st DCm and got him in the door and took off. I didn't see them until he came over and mom was already getting out of the driveway. I sent her a very frustrated text. They aren't suppose to be here until 8. Mom said he's been up since 4 and she needs to get ready for work. NOT my problem! Why do I have to work for free when you can't get ready with 1 child?! I will be having a long talk with her at pick up and will gladly move her drop off time to 7 and increase her rate by $15. Which is what my 7am drop off pays for the early time (it's early for me). The little boy said they were sitting outside for a really really really long time. Ahhhh, it's been a crummy morning already. (Not just this)
My late fee is also my early drop off fee. $1 per minute. I've never had someone try to drop off so early! I'd charge a MINIMUM of $20 to this sneaky mom for the overtime.
mountainside13 07:02 AM 02-16-2016
I'm going to adjust my contract to add that. How would you suggest doing it. I give all parents a folder at the interview and attached inside is the contract. Should I just type up an amendment, have them sign it and then give them a copy. Or suggest something different?
midaycare 07:22 AM 02-16-2016
I'm going to adjust my contract to add that. How would you suggest doing it. I give all parents a folder at the interview and attached inside is the contract. Should I just type up an amendment, have them sign it and then give them a copy. Or suggest something different?
Yes, exactly. I also charge $1 a minute for early/late.
childcaremom 07:40 AM 02-16-2016
It is in my policies that parents must accompany their child into the daycare home. I would have been very tempted to have her return to pick up her child and exclude for the day while I decided whether or not to keep them on.

I charge early drop off fees BUT it must be arranged and agreed upon ahead of time. So no surprises.

I would have a stern talking to with dcm at pick up. If you are going to change policies, have the addendum ready for her to read and sign and make sure it's effective immediately.

The nerve of some people.
mountainside13 09:02 AM 02-16-2016
Whoops, addendum not amendment

I will work on it during nap time so it is ready at pick up. If privacy wasn't an issue I would post the contracted times by families on the door and a clock right next to it
Ariana 09:43 AM 02-16-2016
Wow!! That is ridiculous behavior on moms part. I would like chatge her for the drop off and also term.
lovemykidstoo 10:15 AM 02-16-2016
What did you say when she texted you back saying she had to get ready for work? What would have happened if you hadn't seen the child and he got hurt? What is wrong with people? Are you an in-home? Just trying to picture how she snuck in. The nerve of some people grr
NeedaVaca 10:24 AM 02-16-2016
Are you charging her for this morning? I would expect $ at drop off tomorrow for the extra hour, I would simply tell her what she did what unacceptable and the same fee that other parents pay for the early drop off time is expected.
Josiegirl 10:39 AM 02-16-2016
Ooh pretty sly dcm. Yeh, I'd be having a talk with her and charge her extra for today. If she was outside waiting 'for a long time' she could have texted you to see if it was okay to drop off, offering to pay extra for that. Then to sneak in??
mountainside13 10:54 AM 02-16-2016
My guess is she was waiting on another parent to drop off. I sent back to her that I would like to talk at pick up.

I'm an in home. The entrance is tucked away in a cut off section of the house and then has a small opening into the main area. I was bent down helping dcg right inside of the main area and the mom was blocking the door. Since the door was open all mom had to do was put him inside the door way and leave. Our front screen door broke and just have a storm door until spring, so she didn't have to open a door.
Thriftylady 11:05 AM 02-16-2016
My guess is she was waiting on another parent to drop off. I sent back to her that I would like to talk at pick up.

I'm an in home. The entrance is tucked away in a cut off section of the house and then has a small opening into the main area. I was bent down helping dcg right inside of the main area and the mom was blocking the door. Since the door was open all mom had to do was put him inside the door way and leave. Our front screen door broke and just have a storm door until spring, so she didn't have to open a door.

I would let her know if it happened again it would be an immediate termination. Maybe I am just to scared of liability, but someone just kind of shoving their child in like that isn't cool.
Blackcat31 11:06 AM 02-16-2016

How old is this child?
mountainside13 01:02 PM 02-16-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
How old is this child?
He is almost 3.
Josiegirl 02:34 PM 02-16-2016
He is almost 3.
You've got 2 huge issues here. Drive-by drop-offs and extra hour of care. I'd be royally pi$$ed, especially at the drop and run. I've had 2 dcps do that to me in the past and told both of them they needed to bring that child to ME and talk to ME before leaving. The thing I couldn't understand was these were great dcps!!! Caring, loving, the whole nine yards. I just don't think they were thinking.
Granted they weren't doing the sneaky dance like yours was.
How did pick up go?
knoxmomof2 03:59 PM 02-16-2016
Oh wow.. that's all I've got for you. Just wow.
mountainside13 04:07 PM 02-16-2016
She sent dad to pick up and he didn't know that it had happened. He signed it and I'm going to have her sign it in the morning and talk to her. Hopefully she drops off...
rosieteddy 06:57 AM 02-17-2016
If you normally charge 15 dollars,I would charge her 20.dollars. She would get a warning that it was unacceptable .What if he had gone back out?You didn't even know he was there.I would also send a note to all saying that They paid for x amount of time and they needed to discuss early drop offs and time changes.She would not pay the same as the scheduled parent.It would cost more.
lovemykidstoo 07:04 AM 02-17-2016

That's ridiculous. What if dcb decided to turn and follow her and get run over. Then she would sue you. Outrageous.
KIDZRMYBIZ 07:50 AM 02-17-2016
In OP's case, I would change to $1/minute early or late. And let her know that she MUST speak to me before leaving her child.

I never thought of $1 per minute EARLY, too! That's great! I already charge $1 per minute late, but only $5 for pre-arranged occasional early drop-off, and it is so not worth it. I know my DCFs have other options, I am just the most convenient so they ask for it. I think if I charged $1 per minute, they would probably use another option or decide they only need 10 minutes opposed to a full half-hour. Thanks!!
lovemykidstoo 05:45 AM 02-18-2016
She sent dad to pick up and he didn't know that it had happened. He signed it and I'm going to have her sign it in the morning and talk to her. Hopefully she drops off...
What did dad say when you told him?
Did she drop off this morning?
thrivingchildcarecom 09:34 AM 02-18-2016
Years ago I remember not saying anything. Until one morning everyone decided to drop off early. Not only was I overwhelmed, but I was out of ratio as well.

Nowadays, I have a prewritten note that I email whenever I notice drop-off/pick-up times becoming an issue. I send out notes like this regularly in the hopes of avoiding issues.

I would be happy to share the verbiage with you. Just send me a PM with your email address.
Unregistered 06:08 PM 02-28-2016
Oh there is no way I would tolerate that. Likely, I would have told her to return immediately to pick him up. You can charge her after the fact but to what end? She's still managed to sneak him in early and get away with it.

She would have had to pick him up again, and would have it made very very clear that if she tried anything close again, care would be terminated on the spot.
daycarediva 10:06 AM 02-29-2016
I think it would have been HYSTERICAL to text her after her regular drop off time and say "Hey Jane, just wondering if you were dropping off Joe today since you're always on time and I haven't heard from you."

Nice taste of what COULD have happened had you 1. not seen the child and 2. he walked right back out the door, and lets face it, that was a very REAL possibility.
Blackcat31 10:17 AM 02-29-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I think it would have been HYSTERICAL to text her after her regular drop off time and say "Hey Jane, just wondering if you were dropping off Joe today since you're always on time and I haven't heard from you."

Nice taste of what COULD have happened had you 1. not seen the child and 2. he walked right back out the door, and lets face it, that was a very REAL possibility.

DaveA 10:46 AM 02-29-2016

Heck, I'd pay just to see that reaction.
Leigh 11:01 AM 02-29-2016

You're an evil genius! I bow to you!
Unregistered 06:54 PM 02-29-2016

I like it!
Febby 07:43 PM 02-29-2016

Horrible AND beautiful.
Tags:early drop off, parents - don't cooperate
Reply Up