Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Walking Feet
E Daycare 05:47 AM 01-13-2012
I have all preschool boys (and one infant) with whom all the live long day I'm saying "walking feet!!!!!!". They slow down but then a second later it's back to running. They slam into each other or toys or walls. I've done the "sit right where you are" discipline or the out right time out. It's a monkey see monkey do so if the older one does it the others follow and vice versa.

In leu of tying their legs to each other (like a 3 legged race) what do you guys do to ensure they walk? The infant I have (when she allows to and doesn't scream bloody murder) has tummy time and will eventually be crawling. Her older sibling is a moose and I'm so afraid she's gonna get trampled. I feel I say "walking feet" more often than not and it takes everything I have to not strap them to the couch (jk jk I would never use that type of discipline) but when they constantly run into each other and I have to explain cheek bruises to parents I'm like COME ON ALDEADY!!

What's your suggestion?
Blackcat31 08:54 AM 01-13-2012
I set up my environment so that it really allows no running....heck, not even fast walking. I have also made it a rule that unless you are going to use the bathroom or to come into another room, we are on out butts at ALL times. I back off and enforce that rule as needed.
Ariana 09:44 AM 01-13-2012
I also have set up my enviornment so they can't really run. No large open spaces. I personally hate the term "walking feet" because what the heck does that mean really?!! I just say "walk please".
E Daycare 11:15 AM 01-13-2012
It's hard for my space since its an open living plan with minimal clutter. I have a very expansive lower level with a kitchen that flows right into the living room with two couches and then a flat screen. That's going up on the wall soo too as soon as el hub drills the holes for the cords after we paint. So once the 55incher is on the wall there will be that much more space lol. The front foyer is large too and that's the daycare room. It's set up as separate centers so they can't run there. I'd like to not gate off the kitchen and living area as we use those areas a lot so I'm at a loss.

I use walking feet as a term to replace "knock off the running before I tape you to the wall".

I've graduated to just "walk!" and now "sit" when they don't follow through. One word statements/commands.
Ariana 11:21 AM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by :
I use walking feet as a term to replace "knock off the running before I tape you to the wall".

WImom 11:47 AM 01-13-2012
I use walking feet but noticed that just saying a simple 'walk' works better for most of mine. I have that problem too but mostly when I say it's time to wash hands or use the restroom.

I have the daycare set up so running during playtime is not really possible.
Meyou 12:05 PM 01-13-2012
I say running is for outside and walking is for inside. It seems to work.
PitterPatter 05:15 PM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by E Daycare:
I have all preschool boys (and one infant) with whom all the live long day I'm saying "walking feet!!!!!!". They slow down but then a second later it's back to running. They slam into each other or toys or walls. I've done the "sit right where you are" discipline or the out right time out. It's a monkey see monkey do so if the older one does it the others follow and vice versa.

In leu of tying their legs to each other (like a 3 legged race) what do you guys do to ensure they walk? The infant I have (when she allows to and doesn't scream bloody murder) has tummy time and will eventually be crawling. Her older sibling is a moose and I'm so afraid she's gonna get trampled. I feel I say "walking feet" more often than not and it takes everything I have to not strap them to the couch (jk jk I would never use that type of discipline) but when they constantly run into each other and I have to explain cheek bruises to parents I'm like COME ON ALDEADY!!

What's your suggestion?
I have been stopping them in their tracks, making them walk back to the beginning and start over with a normal walk. About the 5th time today I get "UGGGGH's" from kids but we are going to keeo this up until they settle.

Problem usually occurs when I go to prepare a meal or snakc and turn my back. It is supposed to be books in the cozy corner but not working well lately. Maybe we can play cowboys and indians and I can let them tie each other up. no?
E Daycare 06:51 PM 01-13-2012
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
I have been stopping them in their tracks, making them walk back to the beginning and start over with a normal walk. About the 5th time today I get "UGGGGH's" from kids but we are going to keeo this up until they settle.

Problem usually occurs when I go to prepare a meal or snakc and turn my back. It is supposed to be books in the cozy corner but not working well lately. Maybe we can play cowboys and indians and I can let them tie each other up. no?
Same here! I have some left over Christmas garland we could use. Lol

I'm gonna try the starting over bit. They are stinkers, as soon as I've done a 1/4 turn they are like "zing" and run around. Drives me nuts.
Small Town Provider 07:25 PM 01-13-2012
I can't really set up my playroom so running isn't possible because I have ride on toys and strollers and shopping carts that the toddlers absolutely love and they need wide open spaces so they can use them. I have 3 boys that are constantly running though. They drive me nuts! I have to tell them a million times a day to stop running..I don't know what to do to solve this problem either
sahm2three 09:49 AM 01-14-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I set up my environment so that it really allows no running....heck, not even fast walking. I have also made it a rule that unless you are going to use the bathroom or to come into another room, we are on out butts at ALL times. I back off and enforce that rule as needed.
HOW do you do that? My pics are in the pics of playrooms thread. I have two that just continously run around everything. The car table in the picture is moved out to the middle of the room when the kids are there, and they just run around it. I am constantly getting after kids for running. I think I might use the "must be on your butt" rule. Either that or loop my voice saying "Walking Feet. Walking Feet." over and over and over all the live long day! LOL!
Countrygal 04:11 AM 01-16-2012
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:

I am in a much similar situation, only it's two boys and a girl and I swear they are all ADHD!!! I have, to this point, been doing what PitterPatter is doing.

I am going to write the rest of this to myself more than anyone else. I have determined that what I am not doing is being consistent enough. I do not nip it in the bud early enough. I do not enforce it immediately at times. Like you, it is especially prevalent when I am preparing meals or sticking in a load of wash or on the phone with a parent. I need to turn off the burner, say excuse me on the phone and deal with it immediately. The kids are my first priority and must get the first part of my time.

It is sooooo hard to do, but I really appreciate this post. This is actually one of my New Years Revolutions! It is one biggy I am committed to working on - bringing order to my daycare!

So far I have gotten several ideas on here that I have implemented : 1) The idea someone gave of having several "spots" I now have a reading spot, a quiet spot, a play spot and a thinking spot. The running and shouting spot is outside. When the kids start getting "rowdy" as I call it, they are sent to a quiet activity in the quiet spot. Immediately. No warnings. No "stop running" or "walk, please" or even "go back to where you were and walk". That's what I used to do and it never worked for me. I swear they thought it was a game! Now it's "we are being too loud, so let's grab a quiet toy (I have previously defined what these are) and go to the quiet spot (where they are separated) and play quietly until we are more in control.

So far I am having much better response with this tack. One other thing I've learned through raising my grandson is that he needs variety. Not only variety in activities but also variety in discipline and training. So I try to provide that on a revolving basis. When one doesn't appear to having the affect I desire any longer, I switch it up! It seems to help immensely, but BOY! does it take some creativity!

THis site has really been a big help on the creativity end!

On days when nothing seems to work and they just won't settle down (oh, yeah, they happen), I break out the games, the playdough - anything to keep them busy and I just keep them busy all day long. Dancing, singing, painting, whatever. I don't get anything accomplished and we may eat pb&j for lunch, but it beats strapping them to the chairs!
Blackcat31 07:39 AM 01-16-2012
Originally Posted by sahm2three:
HOW do you do that? My pics are in the pics of playrooms thread. I have two that just continously run around everything. The car table in the picture is moved out to the middle of the room when the kids are there, and they just run around it. I am constantly getting after kids for running. I think I might use the "must be on your butt" rule. Either that or loop my voice saying "Walking Feet. Walking Feet." over and over and over all the live long day! LOL!
I also have a rule that everyone needs to pick a toy or center to play in and then it is "on your butt". No one needs to be on their feet unless they are heading to the bathroom or free play is over.

In your case, I would get super tough with those that are runners and NOT allow them to be UP until they understand the whole NO RUNNING concept.

I am a bit like Nannyde when it comes to playing. One hand on cars and trucks and the kids MUST be on their knees. When playing blocks, their towers are not allowed to go higher than shoulder height (while still on their knees).
Tags:bruises, discipline, running
Reply Up