Forum Daycare Management Software

Go Back Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2015, 06:46 PM
kristinhomedaycare's Avatar
kristinhomedaycare kristinhomedaycare is offline Member
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Illinois
Posts: 33
Default Closing but Not Sure On Timing

So I decided to close my daycare and I've been interviewing. I have just went through 3 interviews with one company for a high level position and have my 4th tomorrow. I also have my second interview with a different company on Monday. I feel these are both super promising but you never know I could get neither of them. I was going to wait until I had something for sure and ask the employers to let me give a 30 day notice to families (all of the families I'm very close to). However, it seems both seemed like 30 days may be more than they can do and I said I was negotiable. So I drafted a letter letting the families know I am looking but have not found anything so I can hopefully do what is right by them by letting them know even though I'm terrified they will leave early. I was just about to decide to wait to send the letter until after Monday (after the next set of interviews to see if both jobs still felt positive). However, I had the letter on my screen and a mom walked over and set her tuition check on my keyboard. The letter was plain as day and she made a face that showed me I'm pretty sure like 99% sure that she read part of it. Should I send right now since she knows or wait at least until my interview is over tomorrow since I don't want to have the stress of confronting parents affect my performance tomorrow. Or should I just ignore that she saw it since she didn't say anything and send it after Monday if everything still looks promising?
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 02:26 AM
childcaremom's Avatar
childcaremom childcaremom is offline
Advanced Member
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,969


I wouldn't do anything until I knew for sure that I had a job. Too many variables and who knows what might happen.

What does your contract say? How much notice are you required to give? That's all the notice I would give.

If you tell them that you are looking, chances are they are going to start looking for new care and will pull as soon as they find it. What if you don't get the job? Then you are going to lose the 2 families that you like.

Just some thoughts. Good luck with the interviews!
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 06:26 AM
Posts: n/a
Default what should I do about the family who saw the letter?

Should I just ignore the fact that she saw the closing letter? Wait for her to bring it up?
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:03 AM
Baby Beluga's Avatar
Baby Beluga Baby Beluga is offline Member
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: USA
Posts: 3,900

Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Should I just ignore the fact that she saw the closing letter? Wait for her to bring it up?
I would.
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:37 AM
rosieteddy's Avatar
rosieteddy rosieteddy is offline Member
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 1,261

Just ignore that she saw the letter.If she asks then I wouldn't lie,but I would only give the notice in your contract.At the end of the day they will do whats best for their family.I would give two weeks and expect that they will to.Any more time and you will end up with less kids .Good luck with your job hunt.
Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 07:49 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 19,607

Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Should I just ignore the fact that she saw the closing letter? Wait for her to bring it up?
One of the things I always tell parents is that I do not know if they have an issue or concern unless they tell me.

Because of that, I would not assume DCM saw/read or knows anything. It may have been a quick glance but no actual comprehension or it could be she is a swift reader and understood the whole thing...who knows, but until she mentioned something about it herself to you, I wouldn't do anything differently.

As far as closing timeline, I'd giver parents as much notice as you can financially afford to give. If you can't afford for them to leave early, then don't say anything until two weeks prior.

I know you said you are close to your families and I understand that but your families also agreed to the terms of your contract....both notice for withdrawal on their part and on yours so whatever your contract says is what I would go with for notice.
Reply With Quote

closing, closing daycare, notification letter, notification letter - closing

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Closing Daycare is Much Needed! Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 6 10-19-2015 09:18 PM
Earlier Closing Time On Fridays RANT About How Mom Responded Lucy Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 19 02-03-2015 07:55 AM
Daycare Closing, Tax Year Question (Tom) TheGoodLife Daycare and Taxes 4 01-28-2015 12:43 PM
Fee For Parents Requiring A Later Closing Time? Soccermom Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 7 05-05-2014 01:06 PM
Local DC Center Closing....OMG Advice Please!!!! Christina72684 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 4 03-10-2014 11:33 AM

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:56 AM.         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming